Urch Forums

How to rank the various business schools in Canada?

macaumoon

I have been looking at US News Rankings, QS, Times etc to get a sense of the overall prestige of business schools in Canada.

I also look at the UTD rankings and the PhD placements of those Canadian schools.

I think everyone would agree that Toronto is ranked 1, UBC is ranked 2, but the third spot becomes ambiguous.

Alberta seems stronger for business research publications, but McGill is a very famous school overall (despite the more mediocre econ and business school). McGill business school is not even AACSB accredited yet (likewise for York). So how to compare Alberta and McGill for PhD Business?

Here is my rank based on a combination of factors such as overall ranking/prestige, business school perceived prestige, business research publications (based on UTD), phd placements etc:

1) Toronto

2) UBC

3) McGill

4) Alberta (Alberta could be on the third spot too considering the fact that McGill is not AACSB and is not posting its PhD placements)

5) Western Ontario

6) The rest

To be honest, I find it quite hard to rank Canadian schools after UT and UBC.

What do you guys think?

It's definitely going to depend on field after 2. Rotman is like a top 20 US school and UBC is top 50, depending on how you look at things. For accounting, Wilfred Laurier has a few decent researchers and I would probably place them third in Canada if I were looking at places. Waterloo has a good behavioral group for accounting. It gets really murky for me after that.

The general answer is probably UT, UBC, then field specific.