Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation PhD in Strategy (700 GMAT)

Neda

Hi all,

Any input appreciated!

Test Scores (GMAT): 700 (44Q, 41V, 6 AWA, 8 IR)

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 at Top 10 Business School in United States

Work Experience: 3 years in consulting @ Oracle

Concentration Applying to: Strategy

Number of Programs Applying to: 8-10 programs in Top 25

Dream Schools: HBS, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, USC

Have experience in quantitative and analytic research. Have strong written and oral communication skills (should help in writing a top-notch personal statement). Have references from tenured professors from my undergrad business program.

Thoughts on my prospects of gaining admission to a top 7, top 15, top 25 program? How many programs should I be applying to and which schools should I be targeting? Is focusing on a higher GMAT my only recourse (this may delay applying until next year)?

Best,

Neda

Can't speak for every school, but most seem to be pretty math heavy the first few years (stats, econ, etc). If you're shooting for a T50 program, I think you should definitely work to get the quant score up. You could also try taking the GRE and see if you do better percentile-wise on that one. But that score would be a good bit below average at most good schools...not that you couldn't get in (of course, plenty of people are below the average) but it is one more bump in the road.

I had a similar profile. I targeted schools in the 25-75 range as I was self-conscious of my quant score. Some schools cared, some didn’t. I had admits at good schools in the 25-75 range; and wonder if I made a mistake in self-selecting out of some higher ranked schools.

Apply broadly, the process is so opaque. Your LORs may help a lot being from a T10 school. 700 is a soft cut off, and your LORs may help balance the lower quant score. I imagine you’d get some interviews and at that point it’s fit that matters more than what’s on the paper.

Best of luck!