Urch Forums

Paper critique during interviews

valentinus

Hello,

I have heard from a friend that she was invited to interview with one of her applied schools and the professor sent her an article and told her that they will chat about it.

In your experience, what type of questions do professors can ask during the interview on the assigned paper? Is it like a critique, like "what do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of this paper?"

P.S. The field is Organizational Behavior.

Best,

Hello,

I have heard from a friend that she was invited to interview with one of her applied schools and the professor sent her an article and told her that they will chat about it.

In your experience, what type of questions do professors can ask during the interview on the assigned paper? Is it like a critique, like "what do you think are the strengths and weaknesses of this paper?"

Best,

Would it be possible to reach out to the current PhD students to get some clues? I'm also curious about which school. Stanford GSB? Would you mind sharing it?

• 1 year later...
Hello,

Best,

Bump!

Hello,

Best,

I haven't done this for a PhD interview, but I've seen it in other academic contexts. It usually is about strengths and weaknesses, like you say. Sometimes it's open-ended, and sometimes it's more specific like "What do you think of their data analysis?" or "If you could run another study to follow up on these findings, what would it be?" I think one of the best pieces of advice is to be creative, try to think of different 'holes' in the paper, but be modest and don't try to make any sweeping generalizations, especially ones that go against commonly held views in the field. (Later in your academic career this is okay, as long as you can back it up! Ideally with one of your publications.)

My friend did that for some schools last year. Basically asked about methodology, strengths & weaknesses, how to follow up... blah blah blah... Well it was completely up to POI/interviewer ...

is it the case that "your friend" is actually you? jklol

anyways, good luck!!