Urch Forums

Top strategy programs with a quantitative/econ bent?

umbrella

I am hoping to draw on urch's collective wisdom to construct a Top10 or Top20 list of strategy phd programs that are more quantitative/econ-heavy in nature. I was able to find three strong programs, based on a review of course requirements for students, faculty research, and job market placements:

UCLA Strategy

Toronto Rotman Strategic Management

Duke Fuqua Strategy

Can I get your opinion on the three programs above? Would you say all of them are Top10 among strategy programs that take a quant/econ approach? How do they fare among strategy programs more generally?

I have only identified three programs so far. Can you help me expand this list? I would like to end up with a Top10 or Top20 list if possible.

UBC Sauder: their strategy group is basically Econ/IO.

Thanks. Sauder's program looks very rigorous.

If you are in the know, can you shed light on what the job market looks like for grads from the econ-heavy strategy programs listed above? Specifically, which departments (or groups within departments) hire these grads? I assume grads from these programs conduct research that is more strategy-heavy than the research coming out of traditional econ departments. At the same time, I also assume that the research in these departments differ from the research coming out of traditional management groups at bschools. Who comprises the demand side?

Thanks. Sauder's program looks very rigorous.

If you are in the know, can you shed light on what the job market looks like for grads from the econ-heavy strategy programs listed above? Specifically, which departments (or groups within departments) hire these grads? I assume grads from these programs conduct research that is more strategy-heavy than the research coming out of traditional econ departments. At the same time, I also assume that the research in these departments differ from the research coming out of traditional management groups at bschools. Who comprises the demand side?

If you are publishing in Strategic Managemwnt Journal (which IMO is a very econ/quant friendly journal) or other similar journals - you’re going to be in the same market as all other macro management departments pretty much. The only alternative market I could see is like IO. But when salaries are 30-40% higher in strategy than econ I don’t know why you’d go into a strategy PhD to try to compete on the econ job market.

Look at where your dream schools are placing their research and you will know the schools / job market they are in. Strategy is broad enough for a diverse range of scholars