That seems really unfair. It is common knowledge that a lot of schools will reply late February.
What unit are we talking about? (Marketing, OR, Econ....)
Hello Phd peers,
I received an offer for a PhD in Fall 2019. I am given a week and a half to reply with my response. T Many of the schools that I applied to have had a deadline of February 1st. That being said they haven't reviewed applications yet. I reached out to them and some replied saying they need another 10-12 days. Is it acceptable to not withdraw from application even after accepting an offer?
Last edited by Read2019; 02-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.
If this is your first choice then you can accept and just wait for the other responses and inform them once they reach out.
If not I would try to talk to the school that made you the offer and ask them for an extension. Unfortunately I cannot come up with any other strategy.
If the school is part of the grad council (or whatever the group is called) they're supposed to let you have until April 15. That being said, they may not hold it for you.
If it is your top choice go ahead and accept it just withdrawal from the rest. If there is a school you would definitely take over it, then you can roll the dice and decline it.
Honestly, though, I'm sorry this happens. It's a tough situation to be put in.
Til now I always got by on my own
I never really cared until I met you...
From the Council of Graduate Schools website
"Students are under no obligation to respond to offers of financial support prior to April 15; earlier deadlines for acceptance of such offers violate the intent of this Resolution."
and from last year's sample letter
"The April 15, 2018, deadline applies only to acceptance of an offer of financial support suchas a graduate scholarship, fellowship, traineeship, or assistantship."
So if you are accepted, but you did not receive funding the CGS resolution does not apply. It is also my understanding is that this only applies once a formal funding offer is sent out. I have heard about programs formally sending the acceptance but not the formal funding letter while informally telling the admitted applicant that they will be funded (but with no precise details that could be construed as a formal offer). Then they ask the admit to respond to the acceptance on a short deadline. The funding letter only comes once the student formally accepts the offer. Definitely violates the spirit of the CGS resolution but it meets the precise conditions of the resolution.
On the other hand, even once a formal offer of funding is accepted, if the school is a CGS member institution you can withdraw in writing before April 15 with no formal consequences, though in smaller fields with strong networks/relationships (which include all the business fields) it is questionable how wise this is.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)