Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: PhD Marketing Ranking Discussion

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

PhD Marketing Ranking Discussion

Sponsored Ad:
    I have my subjective ranking below (Only North American). It's roughly based on my impression of their placements. Anyone has a thought?

Random order within group.

Tier 1:
    HBS
    Standford
    Wharton
    MIT Sloan
    Yale SOM
    Chicago Booth

Tier 1.5:
    Columbia
    Berkeley Haas
    NW Kellogg
    Duke Fuqua?

Tier 2:
    NYU Stern
    Toronto Rotman
    UCLA Anderson
    Cornell
    CMU Tepper
    UMich Ross
    USC

Below Tier 2:
    TBD

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD Marketing Ranking Discussion

There needs to be a distinction between CB and Quant. And within Quant, a distinction between empirical and analytical modeling.

Also, HBS doesn't place as well as places like CMU, Columbia, Duke for quant. One of my advisers told me not to attend HBS if I can get accepted at CMU, Columbia, or Maryland.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mkboy2019 View Post
    There needs to be a distinction between CB and Quant. And within Quant, a distinction between empirical and analytical modeling.

Also, HBS doesn't place as well as places like CMU, Columbia, Duke for quant. One of my advisers told me not to attend HBS if I can get accepted at CMU, Columbia, or Maryland.
    I'm curious how one would separate quality of students from the value-add from a particular program when looking at placements. The number of quant students to look at at each school can be quite small...

My own subjective ranking is similar to the OP (but with "UCLA?" replacing "Duke?") but is based primarily on gut feeling rather than any good or useful metric. (And the poor proxy of econ rankings, since I'd be taking a lot of econ classes as a quant student. Which I irrationally value even while knowing rationally that it is a poor proxy.)

One of the marketing faculty I spoke to advised me to not bother applying to CMU whereas mkboy (& their advisor) has it above Harvard. I feel like many subjective rankings could be colored by some weird unrepresentative data point despite our best efforts to be scientific in our judgments!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by LateOrNever View Post
    I'm curious how one would separate quality of students from the value-add from a particular program when looking at placements. The number of quant students to look at at each school can be quite small...

My own subjective ranking is similar to the OP (but with "UCLA?" replacing "Duke?") but is based primarily on gut feeling rather than any good or useful metric. (And the poor proxy of econ rankings, since I'd be taking a lot of econ classes as a quant student. Which I irrationally value even while knowing rationally that it is a poor proxy.)

One of the marketing faculty I spoke to advised me to not bother applying to CMU whereas mkboy (& their advisor) has it above Harvard. I feel like many subjective rankings could be colored by some weird unrepresentative data point despite our best efforts to be scientific in our judgments!
    Without more information, I think it is almost impossible (given limited efforts) to solve the value-add vs self-selection problem when ranking a program based on its placement records. And it is more severe in Econ since school pedigree plays a more important role in their placement. What I thought is to use the placement records to rank programs without considering the problem, and when you get admitted, you become one of those conditional students and the placement records to this specific program give you more information now.

Good post? Yes | No

It's nearly impossible to measure since student quality depends on too many un-quantifiable traits like creativity and presentation skills.

I think the main difference is that my advisor is an empirical professor and I'm interested in empirical work. CMU is known for empirical IO and machine learning so I don't think they are great for structural stuff at all.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by mkboy2019 View Post
    I think the main difference is that my advisor is an empirical professor and I'm interested in empirical work. CMU is known for empirical IO and machine learning so I don't think they are great for structural stuff at all.
    It could also just be that there is an apparent gulf between what my professor thought my qualifications are and what the adcoms think, as most of the schools she urged me to apply to rejected me outright without an interview! So maybe she told me not to bother applying because she thought I'd be a shoo-in at a top 5, and has since been proven wrong haha. (Yes, yes, rejections aren't necessarily due to lack of qualifications, admissions are an idiosyncratic black box, etc etc.)

But to return to the point of the thread, I don't really know that it's even that useful an exercise to rank programs, as the difference between top 10 and top 20 seems to be dwarfed by your individual ability, ability to publish in "A journals", presentation skills, etc.

A long long time ago XanthusARES's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

But to return to the point of the thread, I don't really know that it's even that useful an exercise to rank programs, as the difference between top 10 and top 20 seems to be dwarfed by your individual ability, ability to publish in "A journals", presentation skills, etc.
    Truer words have rarely been spoken on here. All of your tier 1 and tier 2 schools will place you well.
    Til now I always got by on my own
    I never really cared until I met you...

Thread Information