Urch Forums

what is the difference between research school and teaching school in terms of

urchdzh

Hi guys, I am recently admitted to a PhD program in business. However, it is like most of its graduates ended up going to teaching schools. Actualy, I don't really know what is exactly the teaching/research school. The school is research based as long as it has PhD program? What is the difference between research school and teaching school in terms of difficulty in getting tenure, salary, benefits, pressure, teaching/research load, etc. ? Can someone help clarify?

In addition, it is like most people would prefer research school. Why? I heard that it is more difficult to get tenure in research school because u need to publish a lot?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

There is a research / teaching continuum that you can place schools into, but it really ends up being how much do they care about research. I think the easiest way to group schools is by teaching load. Most "research" schools have a 3-0 teaching load. Meaning new professors teach 3 sections of 1 course in 1 semester and the rest of their time is spent on research. These schools usually require multiple "A" hits for tenure, though there is definitely variation in the amount required and what counts as an A. People don't get tenure at these places pretty often.

2-2 schools still require a decent amount of research. Usually 1-2 A papers and a couple other things for tenure. The school probably would rather tenure someone than try and hire someone new.

Schools with 3-3 or worse loads are usually teaching schools. They have some research requirement, but probably have a long list of journals that count. Service and teaching will likely be more important in the tenure decision.

Pressure to research varies with tenure expectations and personal characteristics. The benefits will be pretty similar with 2 exceptions: 1. Base salary is higher at research schools and some benefits are based on salary. 2. Research budgets are significantly better at more research oriented schools.

Salaries vary by field. For accounting, research schools start at 220-240 + 2/9 (summer support). 2-2 schools pay somewhere between 170-210 with mixed summer support. 3-3 schools are between 110 - 170 or so. I know less about them. Some fields pay a little less than accounting.

Thank you so much for your inputs, YaSvoboden. I don't know why I can't log into my previous account so I had to change to a new one.

Could you please clarify on 3-3 school? How do you know it is a teaching school or not? what kind of information on the school website can help me decide? In my understanding, whatever with a PhD program is a research school, while it is a teaching school if without a PhD program. Am I correct? If so, how do you know it is a 2-2 or 3-3? I suppose 2-2 means half research half teaching? I am pretty new to academia. Also, where can I find the salary information about the teaching school? I can find the relevant information only about the research schools. It is like assistant professors would have over 100K in research schools. Can they have this much if in teaching schools?

Besides, will it be a drawback if the teaching school is private, like college of saint rose? becuase it is not stable?

Usually, how many courses do you need to teach per sememster in teaching schools? Would that be a heavy workload or pretty easy job to handle,compared to doing research?

I heard that it is pretty hard to get into research schools. Would schools like Indiana U bloomington guarantee the faculty position in research schools? I am asking this because I noticed that some of its graduates went to schools like kansas state university. Is it a teaching school?

"People don't get tenure at these places pretty often." Does it mean if u dont want too much pressure but want to get tenure more easily, u better off going to teaching schools?

Sorry for asking so many questions. I really appreciate your kindness!

Thank you so much for your inputs, YaSvoboden. I don't know why I can't log into my previous account so I had to change to a new one.

Could you please clarify on 3-3 school? How do you know it is a teaching school or not? what kind of information on the school website can help me decide? In my understanding, whatever with a PhD program is a research school, while it is a teaching school if without a PhD program. Am I correct? If so, how do you know it is a 2-2 or 3-3? I suppose 2-2 means half research half teaching? I am pretty new to academia. Also, where can I find the salary information about the teaching school? I can find the relevant information only about the research schools. It is like assistant professors would have over 100K in research schools. Can they have this much if in teaching schools?

Besides, will it be a drawback if the teaching school is private, like college of saint rose? becuase it is not stable?

Usually, how many courses do you need to teach per sememster in teaching schools? Would that be a heavy workload or pretty easy job to handle,compared to doing research?

I heard that it is pretty hard to get into research schools. Would schools like Indiana U bloomington guarantee the faculty position in research schools? I am asking this because I noticed that some of its graduates went to schools like kansas state university. Is it a teaching school?

"People don't get tenure at these places pretty often." Does it mean if u dont want too much pressure but want to get tenure more easily, u better off going to teaching schools?

Also, where can I find the salary information about the teaching school? I can find the relevant information only about the research schools. It is like assistant professors would have over 100K in research schools. Can they have this much if in teaching schools?

For public schools, you can usually find salary information in open record databases. For private schools, short of asking an employee, there's no surefire way to know.

Salary depends on many more factors than just teaching/research school designation.