Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation - OB (need advice going forward!)

Momomin

Hi! I am an OB applicant this season, but have not got any good news yet. I think I will apply again in two years, but I would appreciate some advice on how to move forward. I was thinking about possibly get a research assistant job in a business school, but my professor (business phd) recommended me to go into consulting possibly and get some experience in the field.

Here is my profile this year

Test Scores (GMAT): V 41/93%, Q 50/85%, AW 6/88%, IR 8/92%, Total 750/98%

Undergrad GPA: 3.78 (organization development, top15)

Graduate GPA: 3.78 (international education, top15)

Research Experience: Mainly 2 years of GA while in grad school with a cross-cultural state-wide education reform project, and some other class projects, no thesis. I pretty much thought I will never get a Ph.D. until 2 years ago when I learnt there are Ph.D. programs in business schools...

Teaching Experience: none

Work Experience: 4 years coordinating a international educator professional and leadership development program at a top university

Concentration Applying to: OB - team dynamics/processes

Number of programs applied to: 12 - half in the U.S., half in other countries... pretty much all top schools except HSB, MIT and Stanford... Got an interview from LBS, which made me think I have a shot at this.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

- the opportunity for sustained research to investigate team dynamics and processes in diverse teams and how teams can capitalize on their diversity

- help organizations maximize the potential of their diverse talents

- be an advocate and role model for minority and women in business academia

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

Right now, I am pretty much only waiting to hear from NUS (Singapore). I have not heard from UBC or Toronto, but pretty sure they will be rejections.

I would really appreciate some suggestions going forward

- should I focus more on boosting my research experience?

- should I get in business and possibly consulting since it kinda involve some research work but will give me more business experience?

- should I get an MBA (it will definitely help me change career, but doesn't seem to help much if I plan to apply for PHD again in 2020)? What's the possibility of staying at the school for Ph.D. after MBA if I can cultivate great relationship with faculties?

Really appreciate all the knowledge here!

I would say no to the MBA.

You have a good GMAT, good GPA, and were able to get an interview at LBS so you are close. You have pretty specific research interests: were you applying to schools that focus on these things? Did you contact professors that are interested in these topics?

UBC/LBS/Toronto/NUS is a pretty diverse range. How much did you tailor your application for each one?

Only thing lacking is research experience. Maybe you should try to apply to something like this: Research Fellows Program | Stanford Graduate School of Business or Pre-Doctoral Research | Programs ... or reach out to professors that do work you do and see if there is a way to collaborate. You didn't mention who your letter writers were, but this will matter if you are targeting the very top programs.

Another option if you really want to start this year is look at HEC Paris: they have multiple rounds of applications so you may be able to get in there, and it is a good program.

Hi! I am an OB applicant this season, but have not got any good news yet. I think I will apply again in two years, but I would appreciate some advice on how to move forward. I was thinking about possibly get a research assistant job in a business school, but my professor (business phd) recommended me to go into consulting possibly and get some experience in the field.

Here is my profile this year

Test Scores (GMAT): V 41/93%, Q 50/85%, AW 6/88%, IR 8/92%, Total 750/98%

Undergrad GPA: 3.78 (organization development, top15)

Graduate GPA: 3.78 (international education, top15)

Research Experience: Mainly 2 years of GA while in grad school with a cross-cultural state-wide education reform project, and some other class projects, no thesis. I pretty much thought I will never get a Ph.D. until 2 years ago when I learnt there are Ph.D. programs in business schools...

Teaching Experience: none

Work Experience: 4 years coordinating a international educator professional and leadership development program at a top university

Concentration Applying to: OB - team dynamics/processes

Number of programs applied to: 12 - half in the U.S., half in other countries... pretty much all top schools except HSB, MIT and Stanford... Got an interview from LBS, which made me think I have a shot at this.

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

- the opportunity for sustained research to investigate team dynamics and processes in diverse teams and how teams can capitalize on their diversity

- help organizations maximize the potential of their diverse talents

- be an advocate and role model for minority and women in business academia

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

Right now, I am pretty much only waiting to hear from NUS (Singapore). I have not heard from UBC or Toronto, but pretty sure they will be rejections.

I would really appreciate some suggestions going forward

- should I focus more on boosting my research experience?

- should I get in business and possibly consulting since it kinda involve some research work but will give me more business experience?

- should I get an MBA (it will definitely help me change career, but doesn't seem to help much if I plan to apply for PHD again in 2020)? What's the possibility of staying at the school for Ph.D. after MBA if I can cultivate great relationship with faculties?

Really appreciate all the knowledge here!

You have a good GMAT, good GPA, and were able to get an interview at LBS so you are close. You have pretty specific research interests: were you applying to schools that focus on these things? Did you contact professors that are interested in these topics?

UBC/LBS/Toronto/NUS is a pretty diverse range. How much did you tailor your application for each one?

Only thing lacking is research experience. Maybe you should try to apply to something like this: Research Fellows Program | Stanford Graduate School of Business or Pre-Doctoral Research | Programs ... or reach out to professors that do work you do and see if there is a way to collaborate. You didn't mention who your letter writers were, but this will matter if you are targeting the very top programs.

Another option if you really want to start this year is look at HEC Paris: they have multiple rounds of applications so you may be able to get in there, and it is a good program.

Thank you so much for all the information!! I am definitely looking into those predoctoral programs.

Yes, I was able to link my research interest to at least 3-4 faculty members in all the programs I applied to, but I did not contact any professors. Unless the school have specific questions for the SOP, I generally used the same draft but edited the "why the school" part to include specific research projects, centers and school culture of each school.

My recommenders are

1. course professor, graduate advisor, GA research project PI, Education Ph.D., knows me for almost 10 years

2. graduate course professor, OB Ph.D.

3. current job supervisor, GA research project supervisor Ed.D.

I see you recommending gaining more research experience over business experience. It's funny that my recommender with Ph.D. in business was the one that said it'd be more helpful for me to look for opportunities in business specifically consulting. It kinda gave me new inspiration and a panic attack at the same time... How much emphasis does OB Ph.D. programs put on research experience? How much do they value business experience?

I had a lot of business experience prior to doing a PhD. I think it helped in that I was able to think about real world scenarios (and not get to lost in lala land that academics tend to travel to when coming up with new theories). But the key to a successful PhD is publishing, especially in OB. And for me the best signal for publishing is research experience. So that is just my opinion. No idea how adcoms feel.

Thank you so much for all the information!! I am definitely looking into those predoctoral programs.

Yes, I was able to link my research interest to at least 3-4 faculty members in all the programs I applied to, but I did not contact any professors. Unless the school have specific questions for the SOP, I generally used the same draft but edited the "why the school" part to include specific research projects, centers and school culture of each school.

My recommenders are

1. course professor, graduate advisor, GA research project PI, Education Ph.D., knows me for almost 10 years

2. graduate course professor, OB Ph.D.

3. current job supervisor, GA research project supervisor Ed.D.

I see you recommending gaining more research experience over business experience. It's funny that my recommender with Ph.D. in business was the one that said it'd be more helpful for me to look for opportunities in business specifically consulting. It kinda gave me new inspiration and a panic attack at the same time... How much emphasis does OB Ph.D. programs put on research experience? How much do they value business experience?

• 2 months later...

So actually, I totally applied to HEC Paris second round because of your recommendation... and I got in!!!!!!!

Looking back at this post, it feels unbelievable... Thank you so so much for your help!

• 2 weeks later...