Urch Forums

Tips of improving on the GRE test

zanelabw

Hello

I am a 2nd year PhD student looking to transfer to another school. In this round of application, I'd like to have better GRE scores to apply. Last time I applied, my applications were presumably all desk-rejected due to my embarassingly low GRE scores (below 50th, one is even in the 30th percentile)

However, given that I only spent about 3 or 4 weeks studying and not studying at it very hard, I am hoping I can drastically improve my scores.

Has anyone drastically improved their GRE or GMAT scores? Did you work while studying for the GREs too? I would like to increase that percentile to the 70th or 75th. What tips do you have for studying for the GREs? I am looking at online prep courses and hoping they would be helpful. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I took both the GRE and the GMAT, but I know much more about the GMAT.

I improved my score a lot. But it took me about 1 year for that, studying while I worked full time. There are tons of tips and strategies for the GMAT, it would be hard to talk about everything I did.

But, to give an overview:

1 - Manhattan books to study the content (I was out of school for a long time, had to study everything again);

2 - Official GMAT guides;

3 - GMATPrepnow study guide (it really helped to study the official guides with a better structure);

4 - Princeton (not the best book, but still good for strategies);

5 - Questions from GMATClub.

I took a simulated test when I started studying. I don't trust simulated tests, but my score then was around 550 I guess. I took the GMAT twice. The first time with a few months of study I got 680/84%. The second time 750/98%.

I strongly believe that the GMAT tests not only your Math and Verbal knowledge, but also the strategy you use to take the test. To get a high score, a good strategy is vital. Time management, recognizing the traps and shortcuts, how to take notes, the process of elimination, knowing when to skip a question, etc.

I studied while working full time. During 1 year. But my main purpose was improving the quant gre. Finally got 166 (90% which is fine). At least for the quant part of gre recomend wepage magoosh (700 problems) and the books: nova (300 problems), manhathan. Ets has a little book on quant prep (150 problems) but the levels of the problems is too low.the same with the Princeton Review book on quant prep.

Hello

I am a 2nd year PhD student looking to transfer to another school. In this round of application, I'd like to have better GRE scores to apply. Last time I applied, my applications were presumably all desk-rejected due to my embarassingly low GRE scores (below 50th, one is even in the 30th percentile)

However, given that I only spent about 3 or 4 weeks studying and not studying at it very hard, I am hoping I can drastically improve my scores.

Has anyone drastically improved their GRE or GMAT scores? Did you work while studying for the GREs too? I would like to increase that percentile to the 70th or 75th. What tips do you have for studying for the GREs? I am looking at online prep courses and hoping they would be helpful. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I took both the GRE and the GMAT, but I know much more about the GMAT.

I improved my score a lot. But it took me about 1 year for that, studying while I worked full time. There are tons of tips and strategies for the GMAT, it would be hard to talk about everything I did.

But, to give an overview:

1 - Manhattan books to study the content (I was out of school for a long time, had to study everything again);

2 - Official GMAT guides;

3 - GMATPrepnow study guide (it really helped to study the official guides with a better structure);

4 - Princeton (not the best book, but still good for strategies);

5 - Questions from GMATClub.

I took a simulated test when I started studying. I don't trust simulated tests, but my score then was around 550 I guess. I took the GMAT twice. The first time with a few months of study I got 680/84%. The second time 750/98%.

I strongly believe that the GMAT tests not only your Math and Verbal knowledge, but also the strategy you use to take the test. To get a high score, a good strategy is vital. Time management, recognizing the traps and shortcuts, how to take notes, the process of elimination, knowing when to skip a question, etc.