Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Organization Theory / Economic Sociology

Hello,

I am hoping to get some input on what type of schools I could apply to.

Test Scores (GMAT): 700

Undegrad GPA: 2.85 (1 really bad year, trended up after but alas... this was a long time ago).

Graduate GPA: 3.7 MA, Economic Sociology (Top 20 school in Asia), 3.7 Msc in Business Research (Top 20 school in Europe)

Research Experience: 2 publications (B+/A- level journals), 1 as first author

Teaching Experience: N/A

Work Experience: Several years consulting

Concentration Applying to: Management, Organizational Theory / Economic Sociology

Number of programs planned to apply to: 10?

Dream Schools: No idea

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?

I truly love doing research and being in an academic environment.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

Low u-grad GPA. Average GMAT.

Any additional specific questions you may have:

I am just really not sure what level I should target? I am open to anywhere in the world (North America, Asia, Europe)

I am strategy - so not perfectly in your content area. I think you will have a good shot at schools with this profile. Are your pubs in econ/soc journals or management/OT journals? If your publications are in A level management/OT journals, then you would be among the top of the applicant pool I think.

Are you planning on ultimately ending up in the US? OT tends to be a bit more popular in Europe (but the ivies and top 10s here in the US still have strong OT researchers). If you are interested in placing in the US, then it may be helpful to target a US school. However, I have definitely noticed that European PhDs have been having more success on the job market recently in getting jobs in the US.

If you decide to go the management route, it's a good idea to apply broadly. However, you should also probably limit your search to R1s. You definitely have the profile to get into at least a few of those. OT is one of those disciplines where the name of your school matters a little more when it comes to placements so it would be a good idea to aim as high as you can. Finally, when assessing research fit, look at departments with faculty who have published in Administrative Science Quarterly or Organization Science.

Thanks for your reply. My pubs are in management journals.

US is obviously where the most jobs are, but I am not dead set on living in one area. I've noticed schools like INSEAD and HEC in France seem to have good OT scholars. in the US you are right, it seems it is places like Stanford, NYU, MIT, etc. where people do a lot of OT work.

All of those schools I just mentioned would be amazing places to land. But I can imagine getting lost in the pile with subpar GPA and GMAT.

I should mention that I can also continue on where I have done my MSc with a PhD. The schools reputation is not as good as any of the schools I've mentioned, which I am worried would hurt me on the job market, but I think in some ways I could be at an advantage for publishing because my environment would stay the same? If that makes sense.

I am strategy - so not perfectly in your content area. I think you will have a good shot at schools with this profile. Are your pubs in econ/soc journals or management/OT journals? If your publications are in A level management/OT journals, then you would be among the top of the applicant pool I think.

Are you planning on ultimately ending up in the US? OT tends to be a bit more popular in Europe (but the ivies and top 10s here in the US still have strong OT researchers). If you are interested in placing in the US, then it may be helpful to target a US school. However, I have definitely noticed that European PhDs have been having more success on the job market recently in getting jobs in the US.

If you decide to go the management route, it's a good idea to apply broadly. However, you should also probably limit your search to R1s. You definitely have the profile to get into at least a few of those. OT is one of those disciplines where the name of your school matters a little more when it comes to placements so it would be a good idea to aim as high as you can. Finally, when assessing research fit, look at departments with faculty who have published in Administrative Science Quarterly or Organization Science.