Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Organizational Behavior/ Human Resource Management

hkbaloch

Hello,

I want a profile evaluation for the prospective schools I should apply to given the following considerations:

Location: English Speaking countries preferably a top 20-30 PhD Program

Undergrad University: LUMS Pakistan (Top Business School in Pakistan)

Undergrad GPA: 3.29/4

MBA: IE Business School

GPA: 3.8/4, Deans Honors List & Beta Gamma Sigma Member

Work Experience: 4 to 5 years in HR/ HR finance working for Engie. Previously worked in Nestle & Philip Morris.

GMAT Score: 680

TOEFL: 113

Research Experience: N/A

Dream Schools: Yale, Berkeley, LBS, Cambridge, Cornell, any other good European Program.

I'm not in OB, so I hope someone else can help you better.

But when we talk about top programs like you mentioned (top 20-30 is usually extremely competitive), we expect to see something outstanding in a profile. And I don't really see it here. GPA is ok, but not outstanding. GMAT below expectations probably. No teaching experience, no research experience, no papers. You also don't mention the strength of your letters of recommendation. And you don't even tell us your research interests, and that makes it very hard to judge how you would fit into a prospective school, since research fit is often a very big factor to take into consideration.

I can't speak for European schools, but you're not very competitive for top-20 US. The top-10 US are kind of random with what they're looking for in specific years, those big name schools (Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, etc) always have more highly qualified applicants than spots. ,

The GMAT score is going to be on the low side but not completely insurmountable. Even schools outside the top 20-30 have average GMATs in the 720ish range. More than anything, a compelling story about why you want to be a researcher, why your research will be interesting, and who you would work with will have to sell it.