Urch Forums

Switching between Marketing tracks

phd2020

Hi all,

I'm wondering whether it would be possible for a PhD student to switch between Quant, CB and Strategy? I'm planning to apply to CB track, as my profile is not quant-heavy enough for Quant and I have research experience in Psychology. However, recently I've become interested in some quant methods such as Machine Learning, structural models... If I get admitted to a program, would it be feasible for me to switch to Quant or Strategy?

Yeah, it is possible. But it is not common.

What I have seen CB people doing is not really switching to Quant. They stay in CB, but take steps to strengthen their profile for Quant or Strategy. For example, taking additional quantitative courses (like econometrics) and choosing topics that are of interest for strategy (still CB, but something useful for sales or branding, for example).

Also, many universities don't really have a Strategy track, and both CB and Quant people often can get involved with that if they wish so. I'm a Quant student, but my research is really very related to Strategy too.