Urch Forums

Backup Universities for 2020 in US

MOM

Hi Friends,

I could not make it to my dream universities during the current year. I would like to know your choice of Universities which are considered good but not great. Universities near New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Washington DC would be good for me. But feel free to suggest your choice of Universities. Only Universtied which provide Funding.

Thank you.

Well, I don't know how you chose your list of schools to apply. But, in my opinion, just going lower is rarely the answer.

Things like research fit should still be more important than ranking, for example. So, it doesn't make much sense to recommend a university without taking that into consideration. A top ranking school may be awful, and a lower ranking school may be great, depending on your research interests.

And, at least when I applied, I didn't see any university that didn't provide funding for the PhD students. Usually, that's not a major concern for applications in business.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. Usually full funding is provided in top universities but not all universities. Of course my first priority is Universities offering PhD in my area of interest. But then there are lot of parameters to get selected. So I need to have a list which is both optimistic and realistic.

I think we'd need more info about where you applied, what department(s) etc. before we could provide constructive input. Rankings are quite subjective, but of course there's a lot of competition at the top, and there's a general consensus that Universities in the top 25 are better than 75-100.

From what I saw, business PhDs in the US are basically fully-funded from anywhere that's really worth getting a degree (if your intention is to remain in academia). All of the offers I had (ranging from T10 to T50 schools) included very livable funding packages.