Urch Forums

GRE score high enough? Or retake?

piano55

Hi everyone --

I'm applying to programs this fall, aiming for a top school in OB/Management. I just took the GRE and feel like it's a strong score, but was a little lower than I was hoping for. I'm thinking I'll retake it just to see if, but I'm hoping for some feedback. I got 162 V and 165 Q -- haven't received my writing score yet, but I'm anticipating a solid score.

I know competitiveness depends on other factors, so here is some info on the other pieces: I've been working for a while, but I have a fair amount of research experience: 2 psychology labs in undergrad and 4 management projects over the last year or so. For my LORs, I have 2 full professors with excellent reputations and 1 associate prof. I'll have one publication in a B/B+ journal with 3 reputable co-authors and 1 conference presentation with a top prof. Undergrad GPA is 3.5 from Michigan -- not great, but not terrible (3.9 upper division which I am listing on my CV...hoping this helps show that my first year or so was not especially great but I pulled things together!).

Bottom line: if I'm aiming for Michigan/Stanford/MIT-type schools, should I retake and try for a higher score?

Thanks for the help!

I am not sure anyone can be sure. But here's mine. I got 163V 168Q 4.5W and am studying in one of those T10 OB programs. Some schools have a higher historical mean (e.g., Wharton), but in my program there are people with lower. I believe it should be enough to not get desk rejected if its above 90th percentile. Regarding grades, it should not be an issue if improved (I dropped out of college with a GPA in the 2's before going back). Make sure you have awesome LORs and with your experience you should be good. T10 are always a crapshoot (e.g., I have someone in the program with 2 LORs from industry).

Good luck!

165Q 162V is a good score for Ph.D. degree application, and for appling the top programs, both Q&V score higher than 90% is recommended, when you look at the GRE scores for top universities. 165Q and 162V are ranked 89% and 90%, respectively, according to the GRE score chart. If aiming at top programs such as Harvard/MIT/Stanford, I would choose an online GRE course or find an offline tutor to increase score, otherwise I would just follow the current study plan. Best result in application!

• 1 month later...