See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

pls dont break my heart<3

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2020 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by phd2020 View Post
    Got my first acceptance today guys! Not the top of my list, but it is a huge relief. At least I'm sure what I would be doing this Fall.
    congrats!!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Hi guys, I guess this is kind of a beginner question, but I was trying to understand if anyone had personal experience about this. I applied to several Ph.D programs in Finance for which the interview requests seems to have been sent out already. Is it possible to be admitted even if they do not send you an interview request? Or has it ever happened that people were contacted for an interview later in the game - or later with respect to the majority of potential candidates? Just trying to understand if not receiving a request for an interview when they have been sent should be interpreted as an implicit rejection or not!
    BTW congrats to all prospective Ph.D. candidates who are preparing for their interviews!

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Has anyone heard back from CMU or Columbia for Quant Marketing?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by fin2020 View Post
    Is it possible to be admitted even if they do not send you an interview request? Or has it ever happened that people were contacted for an interview later in the game - or later with respect to the majority of potential candidates?
    Yeah, it's possible to be admitted without an interview, and also it's possible to be contacted for an interview later. Typically it's not like that, but it's possible.

In the years I have been here at Urch, I've seen a few cases. Users who had almost lost hope, and then were contacted by some amazing universities.

This is just speculation, but these are some potential reasons I think for that.

One, you may be put into an unofficial waitlist. You were not one of the top applicants, but they are still willing to interview or to extend an offer to you, if another applicant decline the offer they get. Since this can take some time to happen (successful applicants usually don't decline an offer immediately), you could get an interview very late in the game.

Two, different professors may have different ways to evaluate applicants. Maybe your application got the attention of a professor who don't think it's necessary to interview you, or who was busy with something else and so he was late compared to other professors doing interviews.

When I was "sweating" here, people often said that no news is good news. And at least sometimes that's true.

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by fin2020 View Post
    Hi guys, I guess this is kind of a beginner question, but I was trying to understand if anyone had personal experience about this. I applied to several Ph.D programs in Finance for which the interview requests seems to have been sent out already. Is it possible to be admitted even if they do not send you an interview request? Or has it ever happened that people were contacted for an interview later in the game - or later with respect to the majority of potential candidates? Just trying to understand if not receiving a request for an interview when they have been sent should be interpreted as an implicit rejection or not!
    BTW congrats to all prospective Ph.D. candidates who are preparing for their interviews!
    I would say it depends on the interview process of the school. For some schools I interviewed with, the interviewees were distributed to several professors, and they would contact you at their own discretion. I was contacted 2 weeks after some interview info showed up on Gradcafe.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi to those reading this thread!

I am super anxious as I have not heard back from any schools (Marketing CB) yet! So I know my chances are slim.

There is a school that has interviewed and also offered acceptances, as seen on GradCafe. That school sent me a generic email today letting me know that my application is complete for a review by the department. I'm not sure what that really means since the deadline passed a month ago! Anyone get the same email? I had lost hope on that school, however it is one of my top choices so I'm hoping that they just now got to my application?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by PhdMarketing20 View Post
    Hi to those reading this thread!

I am super anxious as I have not heard back from any schools (Marketing CB) yet! So I know my chances are slim.

There is a school that has interviewed and also offered acceptances, as seen on GradCafe. That school sent me a generic email today letting me know that my application is complete for a review by the department. I'm not sure what that really means since the deadline passed a month ago! Anyone get the same email? I had lost hope on that school, however it is one of my top choices so I'm hoping that they just now got to my application?
    You may want to reach out to the coordinator. There could've been some issues with your application that delayed the process of sending the application from the graduate school to the department. If it's true that they've sent out offers, then you can still get into the waitlist in case someone turns down their offer.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by PhdHopeful2020 View Post
    second right interviews for hbs, right? Or first?
    Were you able to confirm if hbs has already sent out second round interviews for OB?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    Yeah, it's possible to be admitted without an interview, and also it's possible to be contacted for an interview later. Typically it's not like that, but it's possible.

In the years I have been here at Urch, I've seen a few cases. Users who had almost lost hope, and then were contacted by some amazing universities.

This is just speculation, but these are some potential reasons I think for that.

One, you may be put into an unofficial waitlist. You were not one of the top applicants, but they are still willing to interview or to extend an offer to you, if another applicant decline the offer they get. Since this can take some time to happen (successful applicants usually don't decline an offer immediately), you could get an interview very late in the game.

Two, different professors may have different ways to evaluate applicants. Maybe your application got the attention of a professor who don't think it's necessary to interview you, or who was busy with something else and so he was late compared to other professors doing interviews.

When I was "sweating" here, people often said that no news is good news. And at least sometimes that's true.
    Do all top-10 US Finance programs interview?

Good post? Yes | No

Anyone heard from MIT TIES or Harvard TOM?
    Last edited by strat2020; 02-05-2020 at 11:36 PM.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information