Sponsored Ad:

Thread: 2020 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

2020 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Hey friends. I'm hoping to start a business PhD in 2020, and I'm already starting to sweat with the first deadlines coming up. I also don't know any other applicants personally, so I wanted to start a thread for anyone also starting to sweat.

"This is a thread for applicants (hopefully!) starting their PhD program in Fall [2020] Use this is vent, discuss any frustrations, or random musings that you would like others to weigh in on! Best of luck to this years applicants!

For those of you just starting to browse this website, check out this thread for information that has been helpful in the past."
    Last edited by instajar; 11-22-2019 at 12:25 AM.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2020 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

One of my existential uncertainties is the scope of research interests expressed in my application essays. It has been hard to know the right trade-off between general interests that risk being uninteresting and undeveloped versus specific interests that might be seen as flawed or outside the scope of the relevant faculty. I kind of just wanted to write, "Below I outline a specific research topic I could pursue in grad school, but really I'm not at all committed to this and would be very open to changing based on your feedback!"

Forum Associate

Good post? Yes | No

Re: 2020 PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by instajar View Post
    One of my existential uncertainties is the scope of research interests expressed in my application essays. It has been hard to know the right trade-off between general interests that risk being uninteresting and undeveloped versus specific interests that might be seen as flawed or outside the scope of the relevant faculty. I kind of just wanted to write, "Below I outline a specific research topic I could pursue in grad school, but really I'm not at all committed to this and would be very open to changing based on your feedback!"
    Just say something that communicates from what you know right now, you have interest in X, Y, and Z, and that you look forward to learning more about the intersections between different areas of (your field) and these interests.

Thread Information