Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Finance Ph.D Profile Evaluation

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Finance Ph.D Profile Evaluation

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi everyone. I am applying to finance PhD this year, and I would appreciate if you could give any advice on my profile. Thank you so much in advance!

Applying to: PhD in Finance (As my research interests include real estate finance, I am applying to Real Estate Department for several schools, including Haas, Wisconsin, Georgia State, and Penn State.)

Test Score (GMAT): V44 98%, Q50 85%, AWA 4.5 43%, Total 770 99%

Undergraduate: top 3 school in South Korea; Bachelor in Business Administration; GPA: 3.81/4.00

Graduate: top 3 school in South Korea; MSc in Finance; GPA: 3.97/4.00

Math/Statistics: Analysis, Stochastic Process, Math for Economics, Econometrics..

Work Experience: 4 years at the central bank of my country as an economist (prior to the master's program).

Research Experience:
    - Master thesis in real estate finance, co-author with my advisor, published in a low ranked journal (tier 3).
    - Three working papers in corporate finance, co-author with advisor and a PhD student, submitted to finance journals.
    - A few non-academic research papers at the central bank, published in the central bank reports.

Teaching Experience: T.A. in an MBA Class (only one semester..)

Questions or Concerns:
    - I have already submitted my application to top 50 schools, and I am wondering whether I should consider applying to schools outside of the top 50 as well.
    - I didn't take core math courses, such as Calculus and Linear Algebra, although I've taught myself those topics. Would it be an issue?
    Last edited by HYoon; 12-02-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: grammar correction

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Re: Finance Ph.D Profile Evaluation

Your profile seems to be strong, so I think you are ok with the top 50. But, as usual, rankings are far from being the only factor (or the best one) to choose schools to apply. If there are schools below top 50 who are a great match for you, I don't think the lower rank should stop you from applying.

Again, given the strength of your profile, I think the lack of those courses shouldn't be enough to become a big issue. But be prepared to answer questions about that during an interview for example, because that's probably when they will raise the issue (if they think it's an issue).

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Finance Ph.D Profile Evaluation

Thanks for your advice. I will search for schools that are below the top 50 but are strong in real estate finance. Also, I would like to ask you if there is any information about real estate department in B-schools (e.g., admission competitiveness, student lives, etc.). Thanks a lot!

Thread Information