Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admission chance after interview

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Admission chance after interview

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all,

I understand that there is a lot of heterogeneity, but in general what would be the chance of getting an acceptance after interview? I had 2 interviews already, and I think they went well, but I haven't heard back from the schools, so I am getting nervous . I know it doesn't really make sense, but I want to have a target number of interviews so I could be more confident in my chance of getting admission this year.

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Admission chance after interview

It's very hard to know. I get the feeling that it's about 50%. A good chance, but far from certain.

Two interviews this early in the game are a very good sign. I think there is a very good chance of getting more interviews, and then an admission.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

@phd2020 Just got contacted for my first interview. Can you tell me more about your interviews? How long was it? What were you asked? Is this mostly about fit and behavioral or about being able to talk about your background? Is it with professors or with administrators? Any tips?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Same question for you @BrazilianPhD. thanks

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by donod View Post
    @phd2020 Just got contacted for my first interview. Can you tell me more about your interviews? How long was it? What were you asked? Is this mostly about fit and behavioral or about being able to talk about your background? Is it with professors or with administrators? Any tips?
    I interviewed with 2-3 professors at each school, either separately or together. We mostly talk about basic stuffs like why the school, why PhD, my research goals, and their current research. I feel like they did more of the talking than I do.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by phd2020 View Post
    I interviewed with 2-3 professors at each school, either separately or together. We mostly talk about basic stuffs like why the school, why PhD, my research goals, and their current research. I feel like they did more of the talking than I do.
    I haven't had an interview yet, but I have 3 scheduled and I asked one if there's anything I should do to prepare, and the professor said it was about me getting to learn about them and the department. There was no mention of them getting to learn more about me. I don't expect it to be that one-sided, but I found that response interesting. Doesn't seem like it's like job interviews where the job candidate does almost all the talking.

Regarding admission chance, I'm also curious and will ask the schools about this in my interviews. I remember reading in another thread here or on grad cafe that one program did something like 15 interviews for 3 slots. So it may range from 20% to 50% chance.

Edit: The example I had in mind is 6 offers for 3 slots with 15 interviews, so that's a 40% chance of an offer.
    Last edited by instajar; 01-19-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by instajar View Post
    I haven't had an interview yet, but I have 3 scheduled and I asked one if there's anything I should do to prepare, and the professor said it was about me getting to learn about them and the department. There was no mention of them getting to learn more about me. I don't expect it to be that one-sided, but I found that response interesting. Doesn't seem like it's like job interviews where the job candidate does almost all the talking.

Regarding admission chance, I'm also curious and will ask the schools about this in my interviews. I remember reading in another thread here or on grad cafe that one program did something like 15 interviews for 3 slots. So it may range from 20% to 50% chance.
    Good luck! I keep checking my email nervously the last 2 weeks, but no new interviews saved for the last two lol. I'm afraid I'm gonna die from anxiety before getting an admission.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by donod View Post
    I don't remember the length of my interviews, but I guess usually about 30min-45min, with one professor at time.

The interviews were mostly about fit for both sides. I tried to convince them I was a good fit, and they tried to convince me they were a good fit.

Usually we started with something similar to the statement of purpose (why a PhD, why this schools, what are your topic of interest, etc.). Of course, background comes into play to explain that too.

Then, the professor also provided additional information about what they had to offer.

With lots of room to ask (and be asked) questions.

It's more like a chat to know each other than an interview.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by instajar View Post
    It may be good to remember that if a program has 3 slots and wants to fill them, it will probably need to extend more than 3 offers.

Just as an example, statistics from Duke regarding business PhD show that, in 2019, 28 were admitted but 14 matriculated. So, if Duke admitted exactly according to the number of slots they had, then many slots would be left empty as half of the applicants admitted didn't enroll.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

I just completely botched another interview. Expecting rejection soon. Any tips not to get nervous during the interview?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information