Urch Forums

Fellowship opportunities after admission

phd2020

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out the budget for the next 5 years, and even though the PhD stipend for business is relatively generous comparing to other fields (my offers were all around 35-38k), it's still gonna be quite tight if my SO cannot find a job (she's an international student). I wonder if one could be considered for a fellowship after admission? I know that there are extra fellowships at the schools I'm accepted to, but my offer letters don't include those, and I'm not sure if I'm eligible or not.

I never tried anything like that. But I've been part of some talks related to money issues here, and opinions seems to range from "not much of a chance" to "don't waste your time with that".

Of course, one can make some extra money here and there (e.g., some award, some teaching). But your plan should be based on what you have been offered. You certainly is not the first PhD student on a tight budget (more than usual) because you have an international SO who can't work.

But things may be different from school to school, I don't know.

I have been recently accepted into my target program, but my stipend is much lower than yours, in the low 20s. I am being considered for some University fellowships I won’t know about for a couple more months, but I am also looking at external funding to make the transition easier financially. Luckily my wife has a good job and I have savings from working in industry for awhile, but would rather not dig into that if I don’t have to.

I have been recently accepted into my target program, but my stipend is much lower than yours, in the low 20s. I am being considered for some University fellowships I won’t know about for a couple more months, but I am also looking at external funding to make the transition easier financially. Luckily my wife has a good job and I have savings from working in industry for awhile, but would rather not dig into that if I don’t have to.

Good luck with the fellowship! How do you know you are being considered? I assume I'm not as I don't see anything on my offer letter.