Urch Forums

What is Bocconi University's standing in the field of strategic management?

Thomas

Hi there!

I was wondering if someone might be able to offer some insights into the level of prestige that Bocconi enjoys in the academic field of strategic management.

I have done a quick research through the UDT ranking myself, and if one selects only the journals in the field of strategic management (i.e., AMJ, AMR, SMJ, ASQ, Org Science, and Management Science), it seems like Bocconi is a respected but not excellent research institution in the field. However, unsure about the usefulness of the ranking results since they do not take into account the differences in the faculty numbers at different schools, I would like to kindly ask some "insiders" to help me compare Bocconi against some other top research institutions.

Specifically, would someone be so kind as to tell me how is Bocconi compared with INSEAD, Harvard, Wharton, HEC, HKUST, and so on IN THE FIELD OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT IN TERMS OF ACADEMIC STATUS? Is Bocconi among the top 10 or 20 most respected research institutions in the field?

Thanks for reading and time!

Bocconi has an outstanding reputation. I would easily rank it on par with the schools you've listed. It may not have the name recognition among the general public, but a PhD from Bocconi should allow you to place at many top universities.

I'm not in Management, but top 20 for research is insanely high (it's not like rankings for undergrad or master's). A school certainly doesn't need to be in that range to be considered excellent.

At that level, I'd say that the difference is not really that one is stronger than other, but that they have different strengths (they focus on different topics, or specialize on different methods, for example).

My school is way below top 20, but it still has a professor that is probably #1 or 2 for his topic of research, for example. Several schools have already made offers to get him (including Harvard) and one of the students he advises here just got a job at a university that would be ranked about 15 positions higher than my school using UTD.

So, for that range of school, I wouldn't be worried about general excellence anymore (they are all excellent), but I'd check if they are a good fit for what I'm looking for (e.g., topics of interests, resources, types of schools they place their PhD graduates). A school can be top 10 in general, but bad for what you're looking for, for what you want to get out of a PhD.

Bocconi is an excellent school. In my opinion for faculty, INSEAD / Harvard / Wharton are basically top 5 institutions in strategy. HEC/Bocconi are just a notch below (but still very good, and in Europe they make a strong case for 2nd and 3rd behind INSEAD [excluding LBS;)]).

For PhD's, Bocconi just seems to place just ok, especially compared to the other 4.

Hi there!

I was wondering if someone might be able to offer some insights into the level of prestige that Bocconi enjoys in the academic field of strategic management.

I have done a quick research through the UDT ranking myself, and if one selects only the journals in the field of strategic management (i.e., AMJ, AMR, SMJ, ASQ, Org Science, and Management Science), it seems like Bocconi is a respected but not excellent research institution in the field. However, unsure about the usefulness of the ranking results since they do not take into account the differences in the faculty numbers at different schools, I would like to kindly ask some "insiders" to help me compare Bocconi against some other top research institutions.

Specifically, would someone be so kind as to tell me how is Bocconi compared with INSEAD, Harvard, Wharton, HEC, HKUST, and so on IN THE FIELD OF STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT IN TERMS OF ACADEMIC STATUS? Is Bocconi among the top 10 or 20 most respected research institutions in the field?

Thanks for reading and time!

Hi StrategicMGMT, thanks for the answer!

However, might I ask some more questions?

1 Did you mean that while Bocconi's faculty has an outstanding reputation in the field of strategic management, its PhD program is actually not in line with its reputation? So supposing that I were given a PhD offer from Bocconi and HEC, you would recommend HEC over Bocconi right?

2 However, how big is the difference? Because it's quite likely that I'll do my undergrad and masters at Bocconi, which means that I'll have the means to establish good relationships with and get to know the professors at Bocconi. And I feel like this is actually a very big benefit to me if I do my PhD there.

3 Strangely, you excluded LBS and put a smiling face...lol, might I know the reason? Like why did you exclude LBS from European schools?

Thanks for your reading!