Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PhD in Business Information Systems Applicant Seeking Advice

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD in Business Information Systems Applicant Seeking Advice

Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by isaacwolinski View Post
    BrazilianPhD, I am not sure there are any type of skills that are critical for me to have at this time. I do think I could pick up R pretty quick if I found it useful. I definitely could use more experience though, and to that end, more people willing to writing a recommendation providing evidence there. I will start there.
    All right, if there are no critical skill, then there is nothing to do in that regard. I don't know, that's not my field. I just used R as an example, I have no idea what people use for your type of research. Maybe it's something completely different. I may be linear algebra, it may be how to do interviews, it may be how to design survey, there is a long list of possibilities.

Now, DO NOT answer something like this during an interview: "I do think I could pick up R pretty quick if I found it useful."

If something is useful, you'd better know it is useful.

If something is useful, you can pick it up pretty quickly, and you are really passionate about academic research, then they will just wonder why you haven't done that yet. Passionate people DO things instead of saying they could do things. Remember that what you lack is evidence, anyone can say anything.

Showing that you have a critical skill is evidence. It shows you know what researchers use in your field. It shows that you have initiative. It shows that you can actually get results.

But saying that you could do it if you found it useful means that you don't have really proof that you indeed could do that, that you haven't even tried, and you don't seem to even have a clue whether it is useful or not.

If something is useful for your type of research, then probably the professor who will be evaluating your profile like that, or maybe even love that kind of thing. So, you'd better show proof that you like it too. And not say "I could do that if I found it useful". If the professor loves something that you don't even consider useful, why would the professor accept you? The fit would be awful.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: PhD in Business Information Systems Applicant Seeking Advice

Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianPhD View Post
    Passionate people DO things instead of saying they could do things. Remember that what you lack is evidence, anyone can say anything.
    Totally agree with BrazilianPhD on this here!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information