Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Perception of Cass Business School in the US

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Perception of Cass Business School in the US

Sponsored Ad:
    All,

I hear that in terms of placement in the US - it's LBS or bust. I've been admitted to Cass with a great project and a great advisor. My ultimate goal would to be back in the US down the line.

What are the perceptions of Cass... if any at all?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Perception of Cass Business School in the US

Quote Originally Posted by sjb55 View Post
    All,

I hear that in terms of placement in the US - it's LBS or bust. I've been admitted to Cass with a great project and a great advisor. My ultimate goal would to be back in the US down the line.

What are the perceptions of Cass... if any at all?
    Which field are you in? I can speak for management (macro) a bit.

The reality is that maybe a decade ago, it was LBS (or INSEAD) or bust. There are a handful of schools in Europe that have become much more competitive in that time, you can see them here:

The Improving State of Management Research in Europe (An Academic Post)

You still maybe only have 5-10 schools in Europe that are across the board very very solid. You have maybe another 5-10 schools are a bit more "specialized," they may offer excellent training/mentorship for some specific fields and for others they are not as strong.

Cass will not necessarily work against you, but it is not a high status type school that will get you a fly-out based on the name alone. So if you want to work in the US, your currency is going to be two things: 1) your network (which is really a combination of your own network but also your advisor) and 2) publications. In the US, 5 years is a normal length of time for a PhD, I am assuming Cass is 4? So immediately, you need to be 1 year ahead of your counterparts in the US. That means thinking about projects from day 1, learning the academic language fast and pushing yourself to get pubs out in your 2nd/3rd year. It is not easy. Of course this is not the only option, you can consider post-docs in the US to build a network/give yourself more time, or thinking about beyond your first placement how you could keep publishing / a pipeline that would be enough to go to the US.

Overall, I don't think it is impossible. The typical advice you will hear is that it is much more difficult to move to the US from Europe. I don't think it is as bad as it used to be. Training is much better, the schools are much better, and so there is awareness that they do quality work. It will not be an easy road, but there are also several types of schools in the US, this advice is mainly at research roles (e.g., R1 schools). The challenge, to me, is how to do 5 years of work in 4. If you have a good project/advisor from the beginning you will be ahead of the US where you don't have this model.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

In spite of the fact that eduassignments.uk.com is a UK based task help administration, we are a prestigious task making administration over the globe. Right around three years back, we began giving disconnected schoolwork help administration in London, United Kingdom. In any case, we wanted to develop and work as an overall organization to give assistance tasks. Initially, we began with just 250 PhD essayists, yet when MakeMyAssignments began offering their online types of assistance, we began getting a few applications and very nearly 300 new PhD authors from various nations, decided to be an aspect of our Assignment Help Service.

Good post? Yes | No

Cass is very highly regarded in OT circles in the US and would be considered a top placement for our (UTD Top 15) OT graduates. They have a number of highly research-active folks publishing in A-journals so if that is your area of interest, you might find a gem of an advisor. However, if you're straight strategy or micro-OB, you might not find you have an advisor there who has the research relationships to get you back to the US. Check the co-author networks of faculty you're interested in working with to see who/where they are connected to. Lastly, I agree with the comments above. It is no longer INSEAD/LBS or bust... American b-school research focus has been exported globally (for better or worse) and there are more programs that would make you competitive at US schools.

Thread Information