Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: A PSA for Applicants and Academics

Trying to make mom and pop proud

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

A PSA for Applicants and Academics

Sponsored Ad:
    As an outside observer of this site straddling management and economics, I thought I would post this here. https://scholar.harvard.edu/files/bolotnyy/files/bbb_mentalhealth_paper.pdf

PhDs are immensely stressful and isolating. A recent study (linked above) shows that Econ PhDs at top schools are about as mentally distressed as incarcerated people and as lonely as retirees. The collective economics profession is currently going through serious soul-searching on mental health in light of recent tragic events at Harvard, Princeton, and other schools (quick google searches can provide more information).

Our profession is incredibly hard, both mentally and emotionally. Unless you are steeped in an academic research environment from a young age, you often don't fully understand the rigors and challenges of research academia until you enter a PhD. As PhDs and faculty, we often tie up too much of our identity in peer recognition of our work or our status in the field. In many cases, the norms of academia lead us to be inappropriately confrontational and coarse in interacting with our peers and their work. This environment is intensely personal but often does not promote the idea that each person has intrinsic self-worth. This has to change now.

We are living in extraordinary times due to COVID. Check on your cohort-mates, colleagues, and friends in academia. A little kindness goes a long way. You never know when an interaction with them will be your last.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: A PSA for Applicants and Academics

Thanks for the interesting sharing! I always live by the motto: when the going gets tough, the tough gets going!

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Spoken like someone who is an applicant.

Don't worry, I have yet to meet a PhD holder who was not totally broken down by the system. Almost all of them build themselves back up and emerge stronger, but they never are flippant about the process because they know the depths to which they sank.

If you end up getting admitted, you'll see

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by recentgrad View Post
    Spoken like someone who is an applicant.

Don't worry, I have yet to meet a PhD holder who was not totally broken down by the system. Almost all of them build themselves back up and emerge stronger, but they never are flippant about the process because they know the depths to which they sank.

If you end up getting admitted, you'll see
    It is a serious grind. I ended up doing counseling and some other things. You really need to focus a little on self care during the program.

Thread Information