Urch Forums

Three Paper System

sjb55

All,

So, I was having preliminary talks with my supervisor prior to joining and she said that they do the "three paper system." Meaning three publishable papers as opposed to a monograph.

I'm interested in getting more information on what this entails, opinions, etc. At first glance it seems great because, rather than writing a monograph alongside publishable papers, we get straight to the point.

Would just like to know pros/cons/perceptions, etc.

• 4 weeks later...
All,

So, I was having preliminary talks with my supervisor prior to joining and she said that they do the "three paper system." Meaning three publishable papers as opposed to a monograph.

I'm interested in getting more information on what this entails, opinions, etc. At first glance it seems great because, rather than writing a monograph alongside publishable papers, we get straight to the point.

Would just like to know pros/cons/perceptions, etc.

The three paper approach is pretty much standard in Business and Econ PhD programs and has been for quite some time.

Instead of a monograph that is not journal publishable without significant changes due to length and will rarely be read by anyone not on your committee, you get 3 (hopefully) publishable papers out of it.

In general, schools want the three papers to be on related topics, though exactly how related they need to be depends on your advisor and committee.