Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Fall 2021 Application Cycle (OB/Management PhD)

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Fall 2021 Application Cycle (OB/Management PhD)

Sponsored Ad:
    Hey fam, I'm starting to get a little anxious as I finish up and submit my applications. I'd love some input on my application and any other advice you have. Thanks!

Micro OB/Management PhD applicant

Test Scores
    (GMAT) 720/800 (94%), V: 41/51 (94%), Q: 47/51 (60%), AW: 5 (56%), IR: 7 (81%)

Undergrad GPA:
    3.84/4.00 overall, BS in Psych from a solid private school
    Graduate GPA: none
    Research Experience: 2 years, part-time with 3 faculty, econ, OB and Psych. Worked 0-20 hr./week depending on need. Also did several research projects in my research based classes (research design, psych testing, stats in psych, writing in psych, etc.), Research tools: R, Stata, Qualtrics.
    Teaching Experience: 1 semester as a TA for psych.
    Work Experience: 1 year in HR consulting/training as a project manager.
    Letters of Rec: OB professor I did research with, Psych professor I did research with, Psych professor I had 3 classes with and is a mentor/friend.

Concentration Applying to: Micro OB, interested in Business/Behavioral Ethics, Meaning at Work, Positive Org Scholarship, Moral Psych.
    Number of programs planned to apply to:
    I've applied to 9 as of now, may apply to a few more.
    Dream Schools:
    Harvard, Michigan, Washington

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?
    - I thought the career would be intellectually stimulating, flexible, and challenging. I thought research could make an impact and that teaching/mentoring would be meaningful as well.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?
    - Concern is my Quant score. It's a solid score, but not too high on percentile. Not sure how much micro OB programs are sticklers on this one? Also, I'm applying straight out of undergrad without a masters, I've heard this isn't too big of a deal as long as you are prepared but wanted more input on that.

Any additional specific questions you may have:
    - I'm applying to a mix of top 10, top 20 and top 40 schools (based on TAMUGA rankings). Right now I've applied to 9. Should I apply to more? Is my application strong enough for a top 10 school?

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Fall 2021 Application Cycle (OB/Management PhD)

I would say apply to more if you can afford to (I know the app fees add up). When you are applying to the top 10 it is a random process. I had a similar GMAT distribution as you and I got one comment on it (from the school that I ended up accepting an offer from, ha!).

Quote Originally Posted by Snagret View Post
    Hey fam, I'm starting to get a little anxious as I finish up and submit my applications. I'd love some input on my application and any other advice you have. Thanks!

Micro OB/Management PhD applicant

Test Scores
    (GMAT) 720/800 (94%), V: 41/51 (94%), Q: 47/51 (60%), AW: 5 (56%), IR: 7 (81%)

Undergrad GPA:
    3.84/4.00 overall, BS in Psych from a solid private school
    Graduate GPA: none
    Research Experience: 2 years, part-time with 3 faculty, econ, OB and Psych. Worked 0-20 hr./week depending on need. Also did several research projects in my research based classes (research design, psych testing, stats in psych, writing in psych, etc.), Research tools: R, Stata, Qualtrics.
    Teaching Experience: 1 semester as a TA for psych.
    Work Experience: 1 year in HR consulting/training as a project manager.
    Letters of Rec: OB professor I did research with, Psych professor I did research with, Psych professor I had 3 classes with and is a mentor/friend.

Concentration Applying to: Micro OB, interested in Business/Behavioral Ethics, Meaning at Work, Positive Org Scholarship, Moral Psych.
    Number of programs planned to apply to:
    I've applied to 9 as of now, may apply to a few more.
    Dream Schools:
    Harvard, Michigan, Washington

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD?
    - I thought the career would be intellectually stimulating, flexible, and challenging. I thought research could make an impact and that teaching/mentoring would be meaningful as well.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?
    - Concern is my Quant score. It's a solid score, but not too high on percentile. Not sure how much micro OB programs are sticklers on this one? Also, I'm applying straight out of undergrad without a masters, I've heard this isn't too big of a deal as long as you are prepared but wanted more input on that.

Any additional specific questions you may have:
    - I'm applying to a mix of top 10, top 20 and top 40 schools (based on TAMUGA rankings). Right now I've applied to 9. Should I apply to more? Is my application strong enough for a top 10 school?

Thread Information