Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    Right?!? Just finished 15 applications (including one of those recorded interviews) and am SO glad to be moving forward! Best of luck to everyone finishing up those lingering January deadline schools!

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by katykand View Post
    Right?!? Just finished 15 applications (including one of those recorded interviews) and am SO glad to be moving forward! Best of luck to everyone finishing up those lingering January deadline schools!
    Are you applying to 15 or more?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cbapplicant View Post
    Hi! Iím also a marketing applicant! Are you applying for CB or quant?
    Cb as well I'm 9 applications deep at the moment--8 more to go!

Good post? Yes | No

So one of my POI, sent me a message on linkedin, because her response to my email went undelivered.
    She said that she is retiring so wont be available for doctoral studies. But she encouraged me to apply to the college and said my CV shows that i am strong applicant for phd studies.
    I have spent the last 12 hours wondering, whether she was just being nice to everyone who mailed her because she is retiring or she genuinely meant that my CV looks good.
    What is this insane overthinking life

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by eggington View Post
    I've also heard of a handful of top schools planning on only admitting 1-3 this year to mktg programs because of COVID, high enrollment in previous years, etc.
    1-3 was already the expectation in marketing when I applied years ago.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by BrandFreak View Post
    So one of my POI, sent me a message on linkedin, because her response to my email went undelivered.
    She said that she is retiring so wont be available for doctoral studies. But she encouraged me to apply to the college and said my CV shows that i am strong applicant for phd studies.
    I have spent the last 12 hours wondering, whether she was just being nice to everyone who mailed her because she is retiring or she genuinely meant that my CV looks good.
    What is this insane overthinking life
    It would be really weird for a professor to reach out with something that positive and not mean it.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by YaSvoboden View Post
    It would be really weird for a professor to reach out with something that positive and not mean it.
    I agree with this! I don't see any reason for her to waste time looking you up and sending an encouraging note if it wasn't genuine.

Does anyone know what tracks tend to be most competitive? I have no clue which tracks are more or less popular than others (I'm a micro OB applicant).

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by plzletmein View Post
    I agree with this! I don't see any reason for her to waste time looking you up and sending an encouraging note if it wasn't genuine.

Does anyone know what tracks tend to be most competitive? I have no clue which tracks are more or less popular than others (I'm a micro OB applicant).
    Thanks for the assurance y'all.

From what I know, finance and accounting are pretty tough to get into, in terms of quality of applicants . Marketing, OB are difficult in terms of no. of applicants vs the no. of places available. At least this is what i feel.

Good post? Yes | No

I think it's dangerous to compare different fields, or use simple metrics to evaluate that.

For example, I've seem some discussions about the quality of applicants, and opinions seem to be very biased. I remember someone saying that applicants in finance often have perfect GMAT quantitative scores while in marketing that's rare, so the quality of applicants in finance is higher than in marketing.

But, oftentimes, applicants in finance have perfect quantitative scores with low verbal scores, while applicants in marketing have high scores in both quant and verbal sections. Can people in finance really say their score is better than mine because they are better than me in one section, while I'm better in the other section?

So, I think that quality of applicants is very high overall, being hard to tell who are really better. The meaning of quality is different from field to field. In some fields, quality may be associated with strong mathematical background. While in other fields, quality may be associated with prior experience with experiments.

I see people making the mistake of misjudging the strength of an applicant just because of a low GMAT score, for example. One of the most successful applicants I have seen here at Urch didn't look that strong if you looked at their profile. Because some strengths are hard to see or evaluate, like the strength of the letters of recommendation.

Also, marketing has two clear different tracks (consumer behavior and quantitative marketing), and research interests can be quite narrower than in finance. It's not like marketing applicants compete with all other marketing applicants. Marketing applicants tend to be highly qualified for specific tracks and research interests. So, the number of applicants vs. the number of places available can be a really misleading metric.

If there are 100 marketing applicants in total, and you are applying to a quantitative marketing track to do empirical research about salesforce management, you are not competing with 99 marketing applicants. You may be competing against 5 applicants only, but they are all very well qualified for that. Competition for marketing applicants trying to do empirical research about digital marketing is very different from the competition for marketing applicants trying to do theoretical research about pricing.

Good post? Yes | No

I'm bored... when do you think is the soonest we'll hear back by? First week of January?

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information