Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

Sponsored Ad:
    One school told me that they will start scheduling interview on Jan 4th. Another school said that they cannot have interview until late Jan. (I didn't ask why.) So, I guess something will happen in Jan. but there is a variation.

Good post? Yes | No

Hi,

Can someone please elaborate on what is to be expected in the interviews? I have probed across multiple forums but haven't been able to get something concrete.

I do understand that it would involve the basic, "Why PhD", "Why us", "Why now" and some check into the stuff mentioned in CV/SOP. But what bothers me is how deep do they probe us on our research interests? Do we need to read research papers and be able to stay on top of work done thus far? Does it involve answering questions such as "Where would you get the data from? What kind of data? Discuss some paper?" I am an MBA so exposure to research has been limited hence answering above questions would require extensive time to be devoted.

Any help in the form of a link or elaborate response from you good Samaritans is appreciated.

Happy New Year, and hope we may get the schools that best suit us!

PS: PhD in Finance applicant

Good post? Yes | No

Hi!

Do all applicants to IU Bloomington (Kelley) receive login information to ATLAS?

Good post? Yes | No

Hey, I got the access as well. Do we need to fill out financial documentation right now? Isn't it something that should come up after we've been extended an offer? Also, they are asking for transcripts to be mailed NOW? Again, strange. They mentioned on the admissions website that it's needed only after offer.

Would you have any idea in this regard?

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by eshan View Post
    Hey, I got the access as well. Do we need to fill out financial documentation right now? Isn't it something that should come up after we've been extended an offer? Also, they are asking for transcripts to be mailed NOW? Again, strange. They mentioned on the admissions website that it's needed only after offer.

Would you have any idea in this regard?
    I am super confused, because on their website it says

Graduate students can access Atlas after they have been initially admitted into their program and the department forwards the application to OIA for final review.

And I am not sure whats going on. Surely they wont extend an offer so soon. I submitted my application on 15th Dec. Its way too early. Also, no interviews. I have mailed the admissions office. Lets see.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by eshan View Post
    Hi,

Can someone please elaborate on what is to be expected in the interviews? I have probed across multiple forums but haven't been able to get something concrete.

I do understand that it would involve the basic, "Why PhD", "Why us", "Why now" and some check into the stuff mentioned in CV/SOP. But what bothers me is how deep do they probe us on our research interests? Do we need to read research papers and be able to stay on top of work done thus far? Does it involve answering questions such as "Where would you get the data from? What kind of data? Discuss some paper?" I am an MBA so exposure to research has been limited hence answering above questions would require extensive time to be devoted.

Any help in the form of a link or elaborate response from you good Samaritans is appreciated.

Happy New Year, and hope we may get the schools that best suit us!

PS: PhD in Finance applicant
    This question definitely has been asked before, but the search function on here isn't great. I remember that a user named Hedgequant wrote about 2 very different experiences in finance interviews a few years ago. I found his profile, but I haven't looked for the post I'm talking about. I think it was titled "a tale of two interviews" or something like that:

https://www.urch.com/forums/members/hedgequant.html

The answers to "Why PhD?" and "Why us?" should include some references to research. You should be familiar with the broad areas of finance research and the big people in those areas at the schools that you apply to. I didn't experience anyone asking about a specific research idea, but it could come up. It is expected that most people will change the details of their research interests throughout a program, so they shouldn't expect you to be too specific. A lot of the time interviews overlap with research presentations, but that probably isn't happening this year.

Good post? Yes | No

Thank you YaSvoboden. Really helpful.

Good post? Yes | No

Anybody didnít get that email from Indiana University? I didnít get one- hope thatís not a bad sign!

Good post? Yes | No

@brandfreak Just 15. Ha - That honestly was a ton of work - and so many more than part of me feel like was necessary. But with admissions rumors being what they are, it probably was a good idea.

Good post? Yes | No

Quote Originally Posted by Cbapplicant View Post
    Anybody didnít get that email from Indiana University? I didnít get one- hope thatís not a bad sign!

I think its fine. I believe that its just an automatic mail once they have processed your application. I submitted mine on 15th Dec. In case you submitted after that, your mail could be on the way.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information