Urch Forums

Profile Evaulation - PhD in Marketing (Quantitative)

Darthmaul

Test Scores (GMAT/GRE): GRE: Verbal 95th percentile, Quant 98th percentile, writing 98th percentile

Undegrad GPA: 3.4 overall (Chemistry major), 3.95 in math + stat courses

Graduate GPA: 4.00 (Applied Statistics & Analytics)

Research Experience: Undergrad: Research in chemistry education, biochem, and analytics (presented at conferences and all that jazz), no journal publications though. Grad: Independent research in time series, bioinformatics/medical analytics, and data science. Research in multiple programming languages (Python, R and SAS) with all sorts of machine learning and statistical schools.

Teaching Experience: I am a lecturer of introductory statistics and teach classes along with taking my grad courses.

Work Experience: College instructor, data science graduate student consultant for 2 semester (1 semester was for a Fortune 100 Company). Might possibly get a data science internship this summer after I graduate.

Concentration Applying to: Quantitative Marketing/Modelling

Number of programs planned to apply to: 5-6 (in Fall 2022)

Dream Schools: UT Dallas, GA Tech (I'm from Georgia), UGA, Texas A&M (they publish a LOT).

-Additional information: US Citizen but a minority in terms of ethnicity

Other Questions:

What made you want to pursue a PhD? I currently teach at the university level and absolutely see myself doing this the rest of my life. I am interested in Marketing because the quantitative side seems to be heading to a unique intersection of business and data science, both of which interest me.

Questions or concerns you have about your profile?

1. I have tons of math and stat courses (all the calculuses, linear algebra, mathematical statistics etc), but no business classes. Keep in mind that I am wanting to go the quantitative side and not the CB side of marketing. Still though, how "bad" is it that I would be applying with no previous MBA or business classes?

2. I have failed classes in my undergrad, BUT those were organic chemistry classes. My math and stat classes are literally all A's, and have made up for my mediocre undergrad science grades with all A"s in my master's in applied stats program. Would those failed chemistry classes hurt my chance of admission, or would they not care since I didn't fail a class related to anything quantitative?

Any additional specific questions you may have:

1. Any specific PhD in Quant Marketing programs that would be willing to "take a chance" on someone like me who does not have business classes on their transcript but lots of quantitative experience?

2. Do I have any sort of chance at Quantitative Marketing PhD programs given my heavy stat background but minimal "business" background?

3. If I do have a chance, what program rankings would I have the best shot at getting into (top 20, nothing above top 30 etc.)?

4. I am fine with taking "remedy" classes my first semester or 2 if they want me to have more of a business background. Do PhD programs do this or they want someone with all that already on their transcript?

"Number of programs planned to apply to: 5-6"

- Really low number for business PhD applications. Usually we see numbers like 15. If you only apply to 5-6, you should know your chances are not good.

"I am interested in Marketing because the quantitative side seems to be heading to a unique intersection of business and data science, both of which interest me."

- Well, the same could be said for many other fields. You probably need a better reason than that.

_______

1. Still though, how "bad" is it that I would be applying with no previous MBA or business classes?

- Probably not a problem.

2. Would those failed chemistry classes hurt my chance of admission

- Probably not.

1. Any specific PhD in Quant Marketing programs that would be willing to "take a chance" on someone like me who does not have business classes on their transcript but lots of quantitative experience?

- Most programs (if not all) would be willing to "take a chance". Unless your lack of knowledge negatively affects your applications in other ways (e.g., weak statement of purpose if you can't explain your topics of interest).

2. Do I have any sort of chance at Quantitative Marketing PhD programs given my heavy stat background but minimal "business" background?

- Again, business background is not so relevant for quantitative marketing applications. It can help if you do have (it can also hinder if you do have, depending on each case). But it's not really necessary.

3. If I do have a chance, what program rankings would I have the best shot at getting into (top 20, nothing above top 30 etc.)?

- For business PhD programs, top 20 are usually considered extremely competitive. Even very strong applicants with seemingly perfect profiles tend to apply wider than that. And rankings can be a very bad way of choosing PhD programs anyway. If you really need a range, I would think something like top 50 (applying widely, not only those close to # 50).

4. I am fine with taking "remedy" classes my first semester or 2 if they want me to have more of a business background. Do PhD programs do this or they want someone with all that already on their transcript?

- Hard to say. But my guess is that you will need to take care of this by yourself. As a quantitative marketing PhD student, you will probably take a lot of quantitative classes (econometrics, that kind of thing). Don't expect coursework to really help with the things you lack, you often need to find a solution by yourself.