Urch Forums

Profile Eval and Help - Applying next year

pal2789

Hi All,

I am keen on pursuing a research career in the field of Strategy / Entrepreneurship

I have close to 10 years of work experience in strategy consulting / corporate strategy; however, I do not have any academic research / teaching experience.

GMAT Score: 690 (V38, Q47) - can retake

Undergrad - BTech (GPA 4) [Top 10 College in India]

MBA - Strategy & Finance - 3.1 CGPA [Top 10 College in India]

Additional executive education programs from Oxford

Work Experience - 10+ years ; Consulting (strategy, organization design), Corporate Strategy (Technology sector - MNC based out of India)

Plan to apply to programs in Canada (Rotman, University of BC), Europe (HEC, LBS, INSEAD) and US (outside of Top 10)

I am yet to firm up an exact area of research but would be keen to explore a topic in the area of non market strategy.

A couple of queries:

1. Is it necessary to have academic references; I can get strong Industry references .

2. What (more) can I do to strengthen my application.

I wouldn't say academic references are absolutely necessary. But certainly they are much more relevant than industry references. Usually, people from industry are not able to evaluate your potential to be an academic researcher since they don't have the knowledge and experience for that. I would consider them weak letters of recommendation. If it's just 1 from industry out of 3, for example, then I think it's still ok. But no letter from academia doesn't sound good.

You need to think how you could convince schools that you have great potential as a researcher. Because your profile is really industry-oriented. You may have a hard time even convincing them that you know what you're getting into.

690 is borderline -- the "cut off" for most programs is 700, even in Europe. Rotman and UBC both ask for 95th percentile I think.

690 could get you looks at European programs just below LBS/INSEAD

HEC, Bocconi, Frankfurt School, Rotterdam, Oxbridge

Hi All,

I am keen on pursuing a research career in the field of Strategy / Entrepreneurship

I have close to 10 years of work experience in strategy consulting / corporate strategy; however, I do not have any academic research / teaching experience.

GMAT Score: 690 (V38, Q47) - can retake

Undergrad - BTech (GPA 4) [Top 10 College in India]

MBA - Strategy & Finance - 3.1 CGPA [Top 10 College in India]

Additional executive education programs from Oxford

Work Experience - 10+ years ; Consulting (strategy, organization design), Corporate Strategy (Technology sector - MNC based out of India)

Plan to apply to programs in Canada (Rotman, University of BC), Europe (HEC, LBS, INSEAD) and US (outside of Top 10)

I am yet to firm up an exact area of research but would be keen to explore a topic in the area of non market strategy.

A couple of queries:

1. Is it necessary to have academic references; I can get strong Industry references .

2. What (more) can I do to strengthen my application.