Urch Forums

Jobs - Balanced vs. Teaching Schools

Dice

I'm a few months shy of jumping into the academic (tenure-track) job market in management. I'm considering applying to balanced and/or teaching schools. Aside from teaching load and tenure requirements, are there any key differences/pros/cons to working at a balanced vs. a teaching school?

I'm still applying for PhD programs so I just share my personal immature thoughts on the difference between balanced schools and teaching schools.

Pros at balanced schools:

1. More competitive compensation.
  2. Lower teaching load like 2/2 or 2/3.
  3. More time to do research.
  4. Potential chance to move to a research school.

Yeah, the salary is a big one I forgot to mention. I've heard that service expectations can be different (more service, more community feel at a teaching school, which is appealing to me). I'm wondering if that's really school-specific or pretty typical for teaching schools. I'm not motivated by money and I've always been more comfortable in smaller, tight-knit departments. I know most PhD students' goals are to place at research institutions, but considering the state of the job market and my personal preferences, I'm looking for something a bit different.

I was just on the market in Management. This forum is probably directed towards PhD program applicants but I would be happy to discuss my experience in greater detail with you through pm.

Natsume is pretty much correct. All jobs will have a combination of teaching, research, and service. you'll find that research expectations decrease as you move down in rank while teaching expectations increase. In terms of service you may find that teaching schools have more service expectations initially but I think service moreso aligns with your job title. Assistants have have fewer service requirements than associates and so on.