Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Accounting PhD: BC, Minnesota, Maryland

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Accounting PhD: BC, Minnesota, Maryland

Sponsored Ad:
    BC has strong empirical faculty but its accounting PhD program is relatively new. Minnesota has strong faculty in analytical and its empirical strength has improved a lot. How to choose between these three programs? Any comments will be much appreciated!

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Accounting PhD: BC, Minnesota, Maryland

Congratulations! Those are some great choices. I think the choice is between BC and Minnesota. Maryland is good, but doesn't have as large of a faculty and doesn't have as good of a record of placement.

I went back and looked at your original profile. If you are interested in banking and debt contracting, Minnesota is one of the best schools you can go to. The strong theory training will really help in that area too, as the empirics are very driven by theory.

I personally would lean towards the faculty at BC, but that speaks to my research interests. The lack of placement history is somewhat concerning, but they have great faculty. I would actually be more concerned about how they are teaching the Micro theory and metrics courses. Minnesota has a good econ PhD program to leverage for those things, BC's econ PhD isn't quite as good. Of course, the courses that the business students take may be much better at one over the other. I didn't find metrics from the econ department to be too useful. Ask current students about this stuff.

BC also is in the Boston area. I don't know anything about the dynamics, but having so many other good schools around might be an advantage. Again, current students are a good resource here.

I think it comes down to preferences and who you can envision working with. I lean towards suggesting Minnesota for you, but it's close.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Re: Accounting PhD: BC, Minnesota, Maryland

Thanks so much for your comment! Currently I'm more interested in corporate disclosure and financial reporting. Yeah, I also think the choice is actually between BC and Minnesota. BC has close relationships with MIT/HBS/BU especially MIT, and their students usually attend seminars at other universities. BC also has very strong faculty with which my current research interest is quite aligned. But my main concern is that BC does not have the history of placement as you mentioned. So it is a tough choice for me now. Again, many thanks!

Thread Information