Urch Forums

OB/Management Program Reputation

ApplyingSoon

Hello Urch!

I'm gearing up to apply to PhD programs and was wondering if anyone could share which list is best for program rankings? Texas A&M's, UTD, or another?

Or if you have input on the reputation of the following programs for management/OB, that would be valuable as well:

• Arizona State
  • CMU Tepper
  • Duke Fuqua
  • Michigan State
  • USC Marshall
  • University of Wisconsin

All have good POIs, just curious what the reputations of these programs are in the community more broadly.

So what you'll find in OB, is the schools that you typically consider "elite" from name recognition from the US News rankings, like Carnegie Mellon, Duke, USC, their faculty will be more social psych focused, whereas programs like Michigan State, ASU, Wisconsin are much more "ob" and "management focused", in terms of where their faculty are publishing. This is why those journal rankings are often inaccurate, because scholars at the top schools are publishing in much more scientific/discipline-based journals, Nature, Science, PNAS, JPSP, Psych Science, AJS/ASR, etc. which are not kept track of by these other rankings. I would say Carnegie Mellon has an exceptionally good reputation, and Michigan State is noted particularly as a place that churns out scholars and gets their students on the market with publications and into good jobs. Duke, USC, ASU would all be amazing opportunities where you could do really good work. Haven't heard a ton about Wisconsin OB although I'm sure they're fine, but their psych department is actually legendary in the history of the discipline. Edited by collegedropout

These are all great programs. My recommendation to anyone applying is to find the faculty working on the research that interests you most and apply to the programs where they train students. A great research fit at a top 50 university is likely better than a so-so fit at a top 20 university. All of the programs you mentioned have a reputation for placing graduates in tenure track faculty positions or solid post-docs.

As you probably know, most management/OB programs are fairly small and only take a few students each year. Even with a top notch profile, competition at all of the schools you listed is stiff. I would recommend applying as broadly as you can.