Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Thread: Profile evaluation for business PhD programs (I/O, strategy/business econ)

Eager!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Profile evaluation for business PhD programs (I/O, strategy/business econ)

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi all,
    I'd really appreciate any insight into my chances. I've been accepted into a decent Econ PhD program, but I'm curious as to how I'd be evaluated in a business program. I'm considering both the US and Canada, and my areas are industrial organization and strategy/business economics. Given my (abridged) profile below, could anybody recommend some good b-school choices for me? :

Undergrad--Bachelor of Commerce, Top 5 Canadian university (3.8 GPA, 4.0 GPA in last 2 years)
    Grad -- Masters in Business (3.8 GPA) w/ thesis, same university
    GRE--800 quant (92%) 620 verbal (87%) 5.5 AW (86%)
    GMAT --46 quant (80%) 41 verbal (90%) 5.5 AW (90%) 710 overall (95%)
    Decent math: Calc 1-3, linear algebra, probability/statistics, math for economists
    A little RA/TA experience.

Recs--3 from well-known economists that know me very well.

Thanks everyone.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    what's your research interest?
    another phd aspirant's blog... http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    There's nothing which screams class to me. It is an average profile; average only by the standards of the top schools so my sense is that while you would not be a competitive candidate at the top 10 schools, you would have a good shot at schools which are ranked 20+. There has to be something which shines through your application, maybe your SOP or your recommendation letters.

Good post? Yes | No
    In order to dramatically improve the chances, what you would want to add to your profile is some empirical research experience using econometric methods and pertinent recommendation from collaborators.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks all for your comments so far; I appreciate it.

I have some empirical econometric research experience during my masters thesis, which should result in 2 very strong LOR I believe.

My interests - broadly - are studying imperfect markets (telecommunications, public utilities, transportation) from both the business and from the regulatory/policy perspectives. So if anyone could suggest schools that would be good for Industrial Organization and/or Strategy and Business Economics that seem like a reasonable target for me, I'd appreciate it.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Programs which come to my mind readily are:
    1) NYU: Has a program in Strategy on either the Economics or the Management track; the Econ track should be to your liking
    2) Haas @ Berkeley: Business & Public Policy
    3) Wharton: Applied Economics (used to be called Business & Public Policy earlier)
    4) HBS: Business Economics
    5) CMU- Tepper & Heinz: Joint program in Economics and Public Policy
    6) Michigan: International Business & Business Economics
    7) Indiana: Business Economics & Public Policy

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    desimba,

Thanks so much for your input - I appreciate it.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by spinon View Post
    In order to dramatically improve the chances, what you would want to add to your profile is some empirical research experience using econometric methods and pertinent recommendation from collaborators.
    I'm really interested in this. The impression I get generally is that theoretical beats empirical researc(all things being equal) for PhD(for Econ) admissions. Do you mean here that for business PhDs an empirical paper is better?

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by blistering barnacles View Post
    I'm really interested in this. The impression I get generally is that theoretical beats empirical researc(all things being equal) for PhD(for Econ) admissions. Do you mean here that for business PhDs an empirical paper is better?
    Theory would be better, but I think that theory is more of a stretch for new people to a field -- its development isn't as codified as empirical work. My take is that having empirical work under your belt signals that you like that type of research and that you have some basic aptitude to do it.

Good post? Yes | No
    You would need to show that you are smart enough to understand and apply econ theory; at the same time, you would have to show that you are able to do and you want to do good empirical research. In business schools, there is very little room for theorists in the areas of finance, marketing, OB, strategy, and biz econ. The admission committee knows this. If you express very strong desire to do theory only, then they won't think that you can easily get a job in academia. There are notable exceptions: Stanford, MIT, NWU, and Harvard hire theorists in their strategy/biz econ/IO applications areas in their B-schools. But there are only a few such positions. You can pretty much assume that there is no job market for theorists and mathematical modellers.

Thread Information