Urch Forums

Tinbergen Institute

nikopol

Hello Folks,

We may discuss issues related to TI in a seperate thread. Before applying there, I asked some questions to a Turkish student at TI. Here goes what she provided:

*It's not a good place to go if you plan to leave TI after MPhil. She mentioned a couple of people who applied to Top10 US programs. As your MPhil advisor is informally your Phd advisor, it would be difficult to obtain letters from him/her.

*It's almost guaranteed that you'll be able to continue their PhD program after MPhil. As long as you pass the courses, there is not much of a funding problem in MPhil. And you are paid salary during PhD (at an amount of 700 euro higher than their master scholarship).

*The initial matching of students with universities are of no importance. Yet, you will still be given the right to choose between them after admission.

*During PhD, as you become an employee, you can take (paid) permission up to 40 days.

*TI is supposed to be strong in econometrics, finance and micro. There are many professors and if you are interested in one specific professor's work, it's very likely that you'll be able to study with him/her.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey,

that thread would be definitely useful. I will try to summarize all important information that were posted in varius parts of forum here over the weekend (or a bit later).

2 questions:

- did you get second, less official e-mail with invitation?

- is it difficult to find accomodation in Ams? What are the prices? Does TI (or the unis) provide some dormitories?

Best Regard

@Wooky

Will you accept their offer? And yes, I have also received the second letter.

According to what I have learnt, TI assists its students to find accomodation. People pay between 350 and 600 euros per month according to the type pf the accomodation they prefer. (shared flat, studio, etc.)

975 euros are said to be sufficient for a student life in Amsterdam.

Will you accept their offer? And yes, I have also received the second letter.

I asked them for deadline extension, but I am going to accept that offer. 99,9% sure :) That's the best place to study for me in Europe, well, maybe along with LSE. And you?

According to what I have learnt, TI assists its students to find accomodation. People pay between 350 and 600 euros per month according to the type pf the accomodation they prefer. (shared flat, studio, etc.)

975 euros are said to be sufficient for a student life in Amsterdam.

350 euros would be nice, and I don't mind shared flat :) I lived in Tilburg and my costs of living equaled 600euros. 300euros for dormitory and 300 for living and travels (quite a lot in fact, got almost nothing to see in NL . I am quite frugal so I am almost sure that 975 euro will be enough. At least I hope so.

A Turkish guy mentioned that he pays 430 euro for accomodation (including all other expenses). He has a flatmate and they are sharing a 2+1 house.

So I guess 450-500 euro would be more realistic than 350 euro .) (at least for the first year)

I haven't accepted their offer yet, either. But most probably I will.

Keep in touch, Wooky!

I am in also. I have no clue as to my leaning though ... I will be asking for an extension for sure, I need time to make up my mind :rolleyes:

Why are you guys in particular certain this is the best school for you? I have a big information problem with European schools. I would love to hear some info from better informed people :)

I asked them for deadline extension, but I am going to accept that offer. 99,9% sure :)

Did they give you the extension, and if so, what is your new deadline? I would really like to keep TI as a back up plan for a while still because of my funding issues regarding MIT.

@ miaataro

Haven't heard from them yet

@rvalchev

As I wrote, I will try to summarize previous post about TI. Shortly, for me it will be good place because NL and Ams is a good place to live, and TI has professors in almost all topics. Yep, they have some weaker points but I believe you will get anything you are interested in. Which is also possible at LSE in Europe, but probably not at UPF, CEMFI, Tilburg and definitely not at EUI. But maybe it's better to ask our older TI friends.

Took me long time to write my first post here. Greetings to everyone!

I also got an offer from TI, but the March 18 deadline would not work for me, because I am still waiting for some other schools to respond. I explained it to them and they've agreed to extend the deadline till April 15. I think you need to email Judith and ask her. They seem to be quite ready to do this - my guess is that the deadline is there so that people who know they won't go to TI would respond earlier, as TI also has a second and third rounds of admissions.

They wrote in fact: "we have postponed our deadline until April 15th."

So I believe for everyone who asked.

So I can go for EUI interview and think a little bit more. And Bocconi results will be out before the deadline as well. But still, 95% for TI (5% for falling in love with Florence or Milano)

guys i would like to know more about tilberg university...........sure its featured in the top 20 ........but is it cost effective? in terms of funding and scholarships available? and second thing.....wot is the usual cut-off for the gre and the toefl that this university asks for? as its kinda tough getting the actual scenario at the university? tilberg applicant and students ....please do let me know

guys....and wht are the chances of getting into a top notch US doctoral programme after doing an MA or an MPhil from a European Universuty? If it is good, which are the good european universities? How is EUI and bocconi?? UK seems to be pretty expensive.....very few scholarships and funding chances....do share your thougts guys....

Hey guys, having no energy for doing anything productive (good admits make me lazy ;) ) i decided to read some old threads and pick up interesting posts about TI. Probably I haven't found all of them, so feel free to add more. What's more, some of them may be old, so comments from current TI students are more than welcomed.

economicus:

"Tinbergen is extremely strong in labor economics and development. Free University is very strong in development. [ Have you never heard of Sow (SOW-VU) However, development economists are not solely working in the Development Economics group; the Stichting Onderzoek Wereldvoedselvoorziening (SOW - Centre for World Food Studies), and the Economic and Social institute (ESI) employ well known development economists as well. Due to the presence of these institutes, with whom the department collaborates on a regular basis, the Vrije Universiteit is one of the best places for the study of development economics.

Then, you also have SCHOLAR at University of Amsterdam..."

economicus:

"GPA requirement of 7 is for scholarship in the second year of the Mphil Programme. If you have it at least 7, you can be sure you will retain the full scholarship. If you didn't get a full scholarship in the first year, and your GPA in the first year is at least 7, you can be (almost) sure to get the full scholarship for the second year. But even if you don't manage 7...there have been exceptions...but then it depends on the board, number of people and their financial situation.

If you pass a 2-year Mphil programme, then you practically don't have any limitations to progress to Phd. Basically, you just need to find your mentor. EUR and UvA so far haven't hdany GPA requirements. VU university usually each year accepts only 4 phd students and they have a requirement of GPA of at least 7...that's why there is some *** in the statement.

Statement "passing to phd at TI isn't a big issue" is correct for 2nd year onward. In the first year, they are quite brutal. in the past seeing 5-6 people leaving till February was not that unusual. But they were mostly dutch...and some of them left for other reasons (found out that much work was not for

them, found opportunity costs too big (free time reduction)...).

BTW 975 euros is the net value...you will not pay any taxes on it (at least not in the Netherlands and/or if you are EU resident).

If you get a full scholarship at Tinbergen (~50%), you will get tuition fee reimbursement (9.000 EUR if non-european, 1.500 EUR if from EU), EUR 955 per month for living expenses, max. EUR 40 per month for health insurance and all train travel costs for educational purposes reimbursed. Everybody that passes first year with gpa of at least 7 get a full scholarship for the second year, where you can also get a salary for TA in amount of around EUR 500 per month for 1 hour of TA per week. If you get a partial scholarship you get health insurance, tuition fee reimbursed and travel costs reimbursed.

"

"Of course, after 2 years, you may get a top10 acceptance..or not. However, be careful, it's easy to undermine your current profile with master grades. And in this respect note that Tinbergen's programme is very demanding (it's on the first-year Phd level and not on the usual master level) and probability of getting some bad grades is high. Dutch schools are known to be very economical when it comes to grading in general. Now, how much do adcoms in USA know for this is another question. TI is a very good place in its own right, tough...and I would say wherever you go you will be in good hands."

rvalchev:

"My understanding of European Econ PhD programs was just turned around 180. Tinbergen's PhD program's placements rival those of US TOP 15 (which I did not think it would) with placements at Northwestern, Stern, University of Chicago and Cambridge for the last 2 years."

molejo:

"Tinbergen Institute has a very strong and active group in Behavioral and Eexperimental Economics. If you are willing to go to Europe, I believe it is the best place o study Behavioral in the other side of the Atlantic. Take a look at the CREED website: CREED, Center for Experimental Economics in political

Decision making"

molejo:

"some students from tinbergen do get out after the mphil and do go to other programmes... however, the institute doesn't want people to use the institute as a stepstone to other phd programes, so they just dont publish it... by the placement of the phd students (post docs at northwestern, chicago, cambridge...) you can imagine that with good lors you could go to a top 10 place..i dont study there but i know a couple of people that are in the phd program and they tell me that the majority of mphil students stay for th ephdm but every year one or to go out and no one know where they are! and since you ask letters for professors and not for the institute, if you have a good relation with professores i see no problem in applying to other phds... at least i would think it is just retarted if they screw you letter because you want to leave for another phd...”

nikopol:

"I have received an e-mail from Tinbergen. They do not have a list for earlier graduates, but for the recent ones. Here I paste the related part:

"Of the most recent cohorts, our graduates have ended up in tenure-track positions in New York University (Stern School of Business), Indiana University (Kelley School of Business), University of Essex and Warwick Business School and as postdoc researchers at Northwestern University (Kellogg School of Management), Princeton University (Princeton Laboratory for Experimental Social Science) and the University of Chicago.""

asianeconomist:

"Tinbergen strictly dominates Bocconi in nearly all fields."

Valhalla:

"The profs I know (pretty well known in europe and US) told me I shouldn't apply there: Placement is bad/nonexistent and even within the subset of european schools it's just mediocre ... so what does this tell you about your future possibilities? I mean you would spend (I don't want to say waste) 5 years of your life at a school that gives you only a slight comparative advantage on the non-private-sector job market.. is this worth the effort?"

veroniquaz answers:

"Isn´t Tinbergen too new to judge on its placement? My professors were telling me exactly the opposite of what you heard. In addition, I have a friend currently in the program and he is extremely positive about it. They care about their students, the overall atmosphere is friendly and the level of teaching very high according to what he said. I would for example choose it over Tilburg any time."

PBR adds:

"I agree with veroniquaz! Let me try to clarify a few points:

1 - In The Netherlands a lot of people seem to think that a PhD is a temporary job (because it is indeed a paid job during research, and I guess you are highly subsidized during the MPhil) before you move on to the private sector.

2 - Dutch universities absorb a lot of its academic PhDs. They don't recruit massively in the international job market. In a sense, PhDs from Dutch universities are not the most international-academic-job seeking people, but probably that is more self-selection than anything else.

I don't see this as a drawback. Of course I am against inbreeding, but just because you come from Harvard or MIT it doesn't mean you are going to be a good researcher. I know a lot of examples where it did not.

3 - The TI placement is going to improve. TI has one of the better structured, most rigorous programmes in Europe (the established goal is for it to be taught at the US level). Definitely better than Tilburg from what I have been told. People at TI are really making an effort to admit mostly people who want to go into academia. You will work with very good researchers. They help people with placement. I don't see how it can go absolutely wrong.

4 - A great advantage of TI and Tilburg is the relationship you have with your advisor: relaxed, close and cooperative. You can publish with senior people with much more ease than in the US. Your advisor will have the time to give you good advice regarding your career.

5 - TI research output is currently better that Tilburg's. The non-adjusted-for-productivity ranking in Europe is currently (source: Repec-Ideas):

LSE

Oxford

PSE

UCL

TSE

TI

Warwick

UvA

Cambridge

VU (Vrije Amst)

Tilburg

EUI

6 - Toulouse is a killer brand name, and you get to learn from and work with top and rather well known people. I think the only problem might be the very intense competition; students finishing the Masters and wiling to pursue the PhD exceed what the PhD is able to acommodate. I heard it can get very stressful and you might feel a bit lost. This does not mean you should not consider Toulouse. I am actually considering it in case I am admitted (revealed preference).

7 - An advantage of TI: the context/environment is very close to top US schools: small entering class, very busy and core-based first year, specialization + get out your ideas in the second year, if you maintain a decent standing you get a PhD position."

economicus:

"2. Inside info on Tinbergen: non-competitive, friendly environment, almost all students (28-30 out of 30 in the first year) progress into second year. Also my own impression is very very good." veroniquaz: "Ad 2. According to my inside info (a good friend in the program) 7 people already have left the program this year. Agree with the rest."

1. You get your office at the university where your mentor works together with the salary. Usually you focus on research with some possible teaching obligations.

2. In the first week of september. Mphil ends with 1st July.

3. Yes, it's in fact encouraged. Recently a private fund has been established for travel expenses designed only for TI students. In the past people went also to very good ones (Upenn, Harvard, Caltech)

Hey, I wanted to know what are the best dates to give the gre for the scholarship deadlines in case you are applying to universities in Europe? So that no deadlines is missed? When should the GRE be given? which month? for tilberg, tinberegen, amsterdam,toulouse etc? I am from asia

Although I didn't apply to TI, I heard good things about it. I met a professor from CREED and he was really nice.

From what I understand TI is created to bring some competition to Netherlands, a so to speak "rival" for Tilburg, which is good. I wouldn't say one is better then the other though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...