See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinbergen Institute

de profundis

Good post? Yes | No

Tinbergen Institute

Sponsored Ad:
    Hello Folks,
    We may discuss issues related to TI in a seperate thread. Before applying there, I asked some questions to a Turkish student at TI. Here goes what she provided:

*It's not a good place to go if you plan to leave TI after MPhil. She mentioned a couple of people who applied to Top10 US programs. As your MPhil advisor is informally your Phd advisor, it would be difficult to obtain letters from him/her.

*It's almost guaranteed that you'll be able to continue their PhD program after MPhil. As long as you pass the courses, there is not much of a funding problem in MPhil. And you are paid salary during PhD (at an amount of 700 euro higher than their master scholarship).

*The initial matching of students with universities are of no importance. Yet, you will still be given the right to choose between them after admission.

*During PhD, as you become an employee, you can take (paid) permission up to 40 days.

*TI is supposed to be strong in econometrics, finance and micro. There are many professors and if you are interested in one specific professor's work, it's very likely that you'll be able to study with him/her.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Hey,
    that thread would be definitely useful. I will try to summarize all important information that were posted in varius parts of forum here over the weekend (or a bit later).

2 questions:
    - did you get second, less official e-mail with invitation?
    - is it difficult to find accomodation in Ams? What are the prices? Does TI (or the unis) provide some dormitories?

Best Regard
    Attending: Tinbergen

de profundis

Good post? Yes | No
    @Wooky
    Will you accept their offer? And yes, I have also received the second letter.

According to what I have learnt, TI assists its students to find accomodation. People pay between 350 and 600 euros per month according to the type pf the accomodation they prefer. (shared flat, studio, etc.)
    975 euros are said to be sufficient for a student life in Amsterdam.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by nikopol View Post
    Will you accept their offer? And yes, I have also received the second letter.
    I asked them for deadline extension, but I am going to accept that offer. 99,9% sure That's the best place to study for me in Europe, well, maybe along with LSE. And you?

Quote Originally Posted by nikopol View Post
    According to what I have learnt, TI assists its students to find accomodation. People pay between 350 and 600 euros per month according to the type pf the accomodation they prefer. (shared flat, studio, etc.)
    975 euros are said to be sufficient for a student life in Amsterdam.
    350 euros would be nice, and I don't mind shared flat I lived in Tilburg and my costs of living equaled 600euros. 300euros for dormitory and 300 for living and travels (quite a lot in fact, got almost nothing to see in NL . I am quite frugal so I am almost sure that 975 euro will be enough. At least I hope so.

de profundis

Good post? Yes | No
    A Turkish guy mentioned that he pays 430 euro for accomodation (including all other expenses). He has a flatmate and they are sharing a 2+1 house.
    So I guess 450-500 euro would be more realistic than 350 euro .) (at least for the first year)

I haven't accepted their offer yet, either. But most probably I will.
    Keep in touch, Wooky!

Good post? Yes | No
    I am in also. I have no clue as to my leaning though ... I will be asking for an extension for sure, I need time to make up my mind

Why are you guys in particular certain this is the best school for you? I have a big information problem with European schools. I would love to hear some info from better informed people
    No more admissions decisions ... was fun while it lasted, but now it's to make up my mind.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooky View Post
    I asked them for deadline extension, but I am going to accept that offer. 99,9% sure
    Did they give you the extension, and if so, what is your new deadline? I would really like to keep TI as a back up plan for a while still because of my funding issues regarding MIT.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    @ miaataro
    Haven't heard from them yet

@rvalchev
    As I wrote, I will try to summarize previous post about TI. Shortly, for me it will be good place because NL and Ams is a good place to live, and TI has professors in almost all topics. Yep, they have some weaker points but I believe you will get anything you are interested in. Which is also possible at LSE in Europe, but probably not at UPF, CEMFI, Tilburg and definitely not at EUI. But maybe it's better to ask our older TI friends.

Good post? Yes | No
    Took me long time to write my first post here. Greetings to everyone!

I also got an offer from TI, but the March 18 deadline would not work for me, because I am still waiting for some other schools to respond. I explained it to them and they've agreed to extend the deadline till April 15. I think you need to email Judith and ask her. They seem to be quite ready to do this - my guess is that the deadline is there so that people who know they won't go to TI would respond earlier, as TI also has a second and third rounds of admissions.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    they just said april 15th to me...

Quote Originally Posted by miaataro View Post
    Did they give you the extension, and if so, what is your new deadline? I would really like to keep TI as a back up plan for a while still because of my funding issues regarding MIT.
    Fall 2009-In: UMN, UCLA, Duke, UMD, BC, CEMFI, TI, Goethe, Harvard KSG (MPA/ID), UPF Out: US Visa
    Fall 2010-In: UMD, TI, UCLA, BU, BC, WL: LBS, MIT Out: NWU, UMN, Berkeley, Columbia, Chicago, Stanford, Brown, Harvard, NYU, UCSD, EUI, LSE

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information