Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rochester

Attending Rochester.

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    With respect to the waitlist, there will certainly be some action there, but I wouldn't expect a ton. I don't know the exact probability, of course.

I would definitely characterize the faculty as young, and we've got one confirmed new AP this year and offers out on a second and quite possibly a third. I also agree that the instruction is very technical across the board, especially in game theory and macro.

However, I would characterize the strengths as macro and labor/applied micro, unless you like what William Thomson does. Econometrics is definitely not a strength, very few students here do econometrics. Micro theory is okay - Thomson as mentioned, and a few young game theorists. The macro activities - student lunch, seminars - definitely get the most traffic, both from students and faculty.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Thesus View Post
    With respect to the waitlist, there will certainly be some action there, but I wouldn't expect a ton. I don't know the exact probability, of course.

I would definitely characterize the faculty as young, and we've got one confirmed new AP this year and offers out on a second and quite possibly a third. I also agree that the instruction is very technical across the board, especially in game theory and macro.

However, I would characterize the strengths as macro and labor/applied micro, unless you like what William Thomson does. Econometrics is definitely not a strength, very few students here do econometrics. Micro theory is okay - Thomson as mentioned, and a few young game theorists. The macro activities - student lunch, seminars - definitely get the most traffic, both from students and faculty.
    Thanks for chiming in, Thesus. Who is the confirmed new AP?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    How are the placements at rochester? I hear they are better than some of the very top schools? Also, is it a nice atmosphere in general, since it is so small?
    : UPenn ($$), Rochester ($$), UCLA ($$?), UC Davis ($$), Tilburg ($)
    : Kellogg, Berkeley
    Waitlist: UMN, Columbia

Attending Rochester.

Good post? Yes | No
    I think our placements are pretty good. We have pretty small class sizes so they're noisy from year to year. I'm not up on the comparisons, but I think we do well, especially if you want an academic placement. Ryan Michaels is coming from Michigan, can't say more than that.

I think the atmosphere is decent, but I don't want to say anything too strong because I haven't been a student anywhere else. I've played soccer and basketball with the profs, I know what television shows Bils and Chang like, and a lot of office doors are open. The student social life is very heterogeneous and I attribute that to preferences - many people here are perfectly happy working eighty hours a week and not much else, but I personally have to go get somewhat more than tipsy every so often with people from the department. What discontent I hear stems from the weather and the city, not the department. Rochester is not a cultural mecca, unless you really, really like classical music and jazz.

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Well, I got another email later during the day which said that I had been denied admission. They shouldn't have sent me a waitlist email and raised false hopes.

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by imran626 View Post
    Well, I got another email later during the day which said that I had been denied admission. They shouldn't have sent me a waitlist email and raised false hopes.
    Email them, one or both those emails was a mistake...

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    I also received a letter with a waitlist decision and a rejection 2 hours later... I emailed them and they told me that the rejection was a misteake... Does anyone have any news on the waitlist??? I emailed them last week and they told me that we could get some news by the end of March.

Learning

Good post? Yes | No
    I don't understand the deal with Rochester. I declined their offer on 5th March and they never replied me back acknowledging that, every other university I declined an offer from has sent e-mail acknowledging it and asking the reason for doing so, also asking where I'm going ans so on... but rochester, not a mail saying "thank you for your early decision". I never got a hard-copy of my offer from rochester, while other univs sent it anyway (even after I declined, or maybe they had posted it before I declined and I received later), anyway, so they did register the fact that I've declined and hence did not send me the offer in snail-mail.

It's not really a big thing, and doesn't matter to me at all since I don't intend to join. But it would be nice to know that there's someone at the other end....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information