Sponsored Ad:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protocol for Withdrawing Applications

TestMagic Guru Moderator

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Walt for a guy with usually great advice, I still don't understand why you are considering formally withdrawing your apps... I bet if you send those emails you will still get some decisions as schools are not equipped to handle withdrawals administratively.

If I were a graduate program director I would be much happier to get an email saying 'thank you but I will not be coming' after I send someone an acceptance. It's really very presumptuous, and if you were already on their acceptance list it will likely mean that they have to go dig out applications again to find someone to put on the waitlist (who won't get in as they are the last name on the waitlist), because one person has come off the waitlist.

Lastly, as gatorgrrl said, you paid your fee, you should get your decision! :-)

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage walt526's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    I won't withdraw.
    Last edited by walt526; 03-20-2010 at 01:48 AM.
    I'm not procrastinating. I just happen to have a very high discount rate.

Good post? Yes | No
    From a selfish point of view, I would say do not make any withdrawals. I know my profile is somewhat similar to yours and I am interested in seeing all your results.

If you plan on going on to teach, you may not want to burn bridges with the flippant attitude towards withdrawing applications. If you plan on going private sector/gov't, then go ahead and make the withdrawals.
    On the long road to dissertation

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by The MAN View Post
    If you plan on going on to teach, you may not want to burn bridges with the flippant attitude towards withdrawing applications. If you plan on going private sector/gov't, then go ahead and make the withdrawals.
    It wasn't going to be flippant (and I doubt very much that I'll be competing for jobs at R1's regardless). I was just going to say something along the lines of:
    Based on funded offers of admission that I have received from other graduate programs, I am writing to respectfully withdraw my application from consideration at XXX for the PhD Economics.

Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,

At this point in time, it just seems to me that EVERYONE benefits from exchange of information.

But I'll hold-off on sending out withdrawals if there's the slightest chance that it will offend someone, I guess.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk30 View Post
    I'd be interested in your elaboration.

I still have an offer from UCB on the table.
    I'll send you a PM (and anyone else can PM me for more details, if you're interested). I don't want to elaborate on this in a public forum.

Good post? Yes | No
    Just curious, how much is $$$$?

And how do you derive utility from withdrawing applications? Do you feel good about yourself, having shown that you are too good for the schools you withdrawn from.
    {Harvard, MIT, Chicago, .....}

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedxs View Post
    And how do you derive utility from withdrawing applications? Do you feel good about yourself, having shown that you are too good for the schools you withdrawn from.
    No, it's more that I think that it's to their benefit and other applicants for them to not waste any more time on my application if I know that I won't accept even a fully funded offer.

$$$$=much more money than I need to live very comfortably in Central Michigan, so I'd still have some left over to save or invest. It's a nice round number that is less than Yale, a little more than Caltech.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information