Urch Forums

Compilation of "Core" Subject Books Recommended by TM Users

EconForeThought

Editing this post to make it more accessible. This will now serve as a reference for books:

Micro Theory

Varian: "Microeconomic Analysis" (Thanks Walt526)

M-W-D: "Microeconomic Theory"

Kreps: "A Course in Microeconomic Theory"

J-R: "Advanced Microeconomic Theory" (Thanks ZurichEcon)

Macro Theory

Blanchard: "Macroeconomics" (Thanks Casual Effect)

Econometrics

General

Greene: "Econometric Analysis"

Kennedy: "A Guide to Econometrics" (Thanks Walt526)

Amemiya: "Advanced Econometrics"

Time Series

Hamilton: "Time Series Analysis" (Thanks MoustaBill)

Micro

C-T: "Microeconometrics: Methods and Apps" (Thanks Casual Effect)

Arellano: "Panel Data Econometrics" (Thanks Casual Effect)

Want to add prices etc. when I have free time.

Edited by EconForeThought

Micro: Varian, "Microeconomic Analysis"

Macro: King James, "The Bible"

Metrics: Kennedy, "A Guide to Econometrics"

Seriously, Macro depends on how/where it is being taught. There is no single volume that is adequate for all approaches.

So I asked for one book. Looking at Amazon reviews, looks like they expect these volumes to be followed up with others. So would you say it is fair that for them to be followed up with:

Micro: Varian, "Microeconomic Analysis"

-->Amazon.com: Microeconomic Theory (9780195073409): Andreu Mas-Colell, Michael D. Whinston, Jerry R. Green: Books, Amazon.com: A Course in Microeconomic Theory (9780691042640): David M. Kreps: Books

Metrics: Kennedy, "A Guide to Econometrics"

-->Amazon.com: Advanced Econometrics (9780674005600): Takeshi Amemiya: Books, Amazon.com: Econometric Analysis (9780135132456): William H. Greene: Books

This is good info for me because I am looking for soft intros into the advanced topics before reading those full books (the followup) in my coursework.

Guest Casual Effect

Micro --> MGW

Macro-- > My vote is going to Blanchard

Econometrics --> Time Series --> Time Series Analysis, Hamilton

Microeconometrics --> Cameron & Trivedi

General --> Green

Introductory --> Amemiya

I think that both Varian and Kennedy are a little more than "soft intros." MWG and Greene are more comprehensive in the technical details (and pretty much everyone works through most of them many times), so maybe that does make them better references. On the other hand, explaining a wide range of concepts poorly is not always preferable to explaining a narrower range of them well--even as a reference.

Both pairs of books should be on your shelf. But if I had to choose one, then I'd opt for Varian and Kennedy.

I think that both Varian and Kennedy are a little more than "soft intros." MWG and Greene are more comprehensive in the technical details (and pretty much everyone works through most of them many times), so maybe that does make them better references. On the other hand, explaining a wide range of concepts poorly is not always preferable to explaining a narrower range of them well--even as a reference.

Both pairs of books should be on your shelf. But if I had to choose one, then I'd opt for Varian and Kennedy.

Apologies; I was just quoting one of the amazon reviewers.

Guest Casual Effect
I love this book.

If you are interested in microeconometrics : "M. Arellano, Panel Data Econometrics" and"J. Wooldridge, Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data"

I only have experience with Micro and Metrics, but I'd say you're on the right track.

If you've already taken some undergraduate Econometrics and probability theory, I'd say go right to William Greene's book. He's very thorough, but not incomprehensible to the first-year student (the last few chapters are a bit of a reach for the first class...). Just my opinion, I don't know the Kennedy book.

Hal Varian's Analysis is a great book, and it's widely used enough that I think you can find some solutions to the exercises online.

Guest Casual Effect
macro:

stokey, lucas, and prescott

sargent and ljungqvist

krueger (lecture notes)

acemoglu

slp is considered to be almost obligatory for anyone works with dynamics

The book of Acemoglu is specialized in Growth and Development, right ??