Urch Forums

Bocconi PhD

quark2001

Does anyone know anything about PhD in Economics at Bocconi?

I know that there are very good professors, and placement looks good, well above similar ranked schools... but what about the quality of the program, the environment (interaction with professors, seminars, exchanges, attrition rate) and reputation in the private sector? Have you got any friend attending it?

Thanks

:)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know about their Masters program? placements in the private sector? PhD prospects in the US post completion?

their undergraduate places EXTREMELY well with US graduate programs, so I suppose the same would be true for their masters program. Plus, it is very well regarded in international organizations (virtually 80% of italians, who in turn are an overly represented nationality at intl financial orgs, came from Bocconi). And finally, recently they've been having some really extraordinary opportunities for exchanges with Yale and other high-ranking departments in Europe, where you can take a full semester of courses at no expense.

their undergraduate places EXTREMELY well with US graduate programs

I am not aware that Bocconi's undergraduates go to US grad schools. I thought, since it's a 3-year bachelor, most of them stay for the Masters and then go for the graduate schools.

Btw, the Yale program - you get to spend a year in Yale's PhD program.

I am not aware that Bocconi's undergraduates go to US grad schools. I thought, since it's a 3-year bachelor, most of them stay for the Masters and then go for the graduate schools..

yes, thanks to the Bologna process I believe - but earlier I thought they managed to go on only with the bachelor.

Btw, the Yale program - you get to spend a year in Yale's PhD program.

sorry, I confused the masters' one semester course thing with the Graduate Institute at Geneva - they have the exchange for masters in addition to PhD as I had mentioned.

Sorry for the confusion. What I know is - exchange program with Yale is for the Masters students. Instead of the second year at Bocconi you attend the first year of Yale's PhD.

But I'm sure there are other exchange opportunities for PhD students. quark, may I ask what is your area of interest? Also, it seems to me that the seminars are pretty good - you can find the list of speakers on the website.

Sorry for the confusion. What I know is - exchange program with Yale is for the Masters students. Instead of the second year at Bocconi you attend the first year of Yale's PhD.

in fact I should apologize (I was the one which mixed this up with Geneva). Indeed, Zomb1 is correct, the exchange program is for a full second year at Yale:

Bocconi-Yale Program A.Y. 2010-2011 - Bocconi University

But I'm sure there are other exchange opportunities for PhD students.
From the website it seems these are only for a few other European universities.

I just got accepted to the PhD program (yes, on a Sunday evening, by CET). They didn't give me any info on the funding though - anyone knows anything about this?

Last year it was stated on their website that everyone gets scholarship of 14 or 16 tho. euros. Or sth like that

I just got accepted to the PhD program (yes, on a Sunday evening, by CET). They didn't give me any info on the funding though - anyone knows anything about this?

could you give some details? did you receive an e-mail? what does it mean "by CET"?

:)

Edited by quark2001

@MJ7 .. Did they email you or u checked ur status online?

Got an email from the PhD program coordinator. Got no idea myself when they will post the results online - I asked them but never heard back...:hmm:

@Wooky: thanks for the info!

And what about the reputation of the PhD program?

FWIW, the PhD's recent placements included teaching positions at UCL, ESSEC, Toulousse, and non-academic at the ECB, World Bank, and Central Banks across the board.

• 2 weeks later...
Got an email from the PhD program coordinator. Got no idea myself when they will post the results online - I asked them but never heard back...:hmm:

@Wooky: thanks for the info!

That's ridiculous! They were suppose to publish the selection results by March 15. It is April 7 today and it turns out that the selection process is not fully transparent since some candidates have been already notified by the Program Coordinators directly before public announcement as they claim. What is going on? Does anyone know?

I remember last year they postponed it from 9th of April to 30th. But they wrote about that (in their italian english) on the web. Good luck

This year they sent emails stating that the ranking of each PhD program and the results of the candidates would be posted after March 15, 2010 in a date to be set... Can anyone tell me what date they meant?