Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MSc Economics: Bocconi or BGSE?

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Sponsored Ad:
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
    @emanuele: Thanks a ton!
    @Zomb! : Thanks a ton!

Even I have the graduate merit award. The thing is, there has always been a mixed feedback about the performance of international students over there. As for Bocconi undergrads are concerned they seem to flourish. I was curious about the scene with the international students. How many of them manage to keep up with the good grades and likewise retain the award.

Frankly speaking, for me it is a bit of a risk, because in case of discontinuation of the award, it would be terribly expensive. Milan needs about 1000 euros a month to survive. 2nd costliest city after london and at par with Amsterdam and Frankfurt it is.

Rest apart, the school is excellent. What are your comments about this?

I would like to thank everybody on this thread, it has turned out to be very very helpful for me personally. Please feel free to share your thoughts.
    1000 euros/month?
    I spend <<700 euros (all expenses counted)
    and you can survive with much less, I guess ;-)
    milan is expensive but not that expensive. I spent much more each month in NYC, even with the very favorable exchange rate.

Good post? Yes | No
    By the way, I have been admitted into EMIT and not ESS.
    @mkln: thats good news! well, I guess I was going by the standard figures put up on the various websites. Nice to know this. But please tell me , more aboput the continuation of the award.

Good post? Yes | No

Even I have the graduate merit award. The thing is, there has always been a mixed feedback about the performance of international students over there. As for Bocconi undergrads are concerned they seem to flourish. I was curious about the scene with the international students. How many of them manage to keep up with the good grades and likewise retain the award.
    It is my impression that international students, in general, find it more difficult to keep the merit award. I am not sure what is the reason exactly. However, I believe that if you work hard enough, throughout the semester, you will be able to keep the award.

Frankly speaking, for me it is a bit of a risk, because in case of discontinuation of the award, it would be terribly expensive. Milan needs about 1000 euros a month to survive. 2nd costliest city after london and at par with Amsterdam and Frankfurt it is.
    Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I would not be able to afford to pay for the second year myself. However, keep in mind that in case you loose the award you can always apply for the need-based ISU scholarship. It is my understanding that almost all international students who are not that well off, but are in good standing are able to get this scholarship. The exact amount depends on your family income, but in the best case it is equal or slightly better than the full merit award.

I should be honest here, the chance that I might lose my award has been a significant source of stress for me.

@mkln Do you mean you pay for housing AND living expenses with a 700 EUR budget? On average I spend around 500 EUR a month and this is without housing. This number does include all fixed costs, like insurance, textbooks, annual metro pass, etc.

@wanderlust What me and emanuele have been saying relates only to ESS-DES. It should be significantly easier to keep the merit award in EMIT though. However, if you are planning to go on for a PhD afterwards, I am not sure how well would you do, especially if you wanted to do pure econ. I would e-mail the EMIT director and ask for placements in PhD programs.
    "And I'll tell it and think it and speak it and breathe it,
    And reflect it from the mountain so all souls can see it..."

Good post? Yes | No
    @zomb1: you read my mind correctly!
    @mknl: I logged off and went for dinner. I just realised , are you talking of less than 700 euros with or without housing rent? I was saying 1000 euros, keeping the housing in mind.

Good post? Yes | No
    @Zomb1: I applied for EMIT , as it had the flavour of a Management program as well. I thought the combination would be interesting. By the way, how do you see the placement scene for an international student after the course gets over?

DO Italian firms, entertain international students who do not speak italian?

Good post? Yes | No
    Hi all
    sorry if I bring up this thread again.I just wanted to know how you guys compare the 2 offers I received from Bocconi and BGSE.
    Bocconi gave me full merit award (tuition waiver + $) and I thought that I was going to accept this offer.
    However I received an email today from Barcelona which basically told me they're now offering me a half-TAship.
    How does a TAship usually work? I really did not expect a new offer from barcelona and I was happy with my scholarship in Bocconi.
    So now what?

Finding a new home

Good post? Yes | No
    If your interests are towards macroeconometrics and DSGE, then BSGE may be a slightly better fit.

Peddling prosperity

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by mkln View Post
    Hi all
    sorry if I bring up this thread again.I just wanted to know how you guys compare the 2 offers I received from Bocconi and BGSE.
    Bocconi gave me full merit award (tuition waiver + $) and I thought that I was going to accept this offer.
    However I received an email today from Barcelona which basically told me they're now offering me a half-TAship.
    How does a TAship usually work? I really did not expect a new offer from barcelona and I was happy with my scholarship in Bocconi.
    So now what?
    Can you give us an idea of how the offers compare financially? Did you receive a tuition waiver at both schools? How does the stipend at one compare to the other? How many hours per week are you obligated to TA at BGSE (I assume none at Bocconi?)?

It seems that from either program there is a record of 'stars' getting excellent placements, both schools have a good reputation in academic circles (unsure about professionally), so if your goal is the masters and moving onto stronger schools the decision would be based on financial offers or city preference.

If you are planning on doing a PhD at either it would depend on your interests and how they match faculty, but I imagine with a full merit award from Bocconi you probably have a good idea of that.

Good post? Yes | No
    well, not really, but is there a significant difference in the micro departments of the 2 unis?
    I've seen there's some experimental econ activity in bgse and I know there is some in bocconi, too.
    what I'm interested in is the TAship part compared to a scholarship without any TA position (even though one could apply for a TA position on the 2nd year of Bocconi Msc...)

also, is a TA position a preferential way to get a good LOR in absence of a final thesis?
    and do professors in barcelona usually write good LORs?

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by icebear View Post
    Can you give us an idea of how the offers compare financially? Did you receive a tuition waiver at both schools? How does the stipend at one compare to the other? How many hours per week are you obligated to TA at BGSE (I assume none at Bocconi?)?

It seems that from either program there is a record of 'stars' getting excellent placements, both schools have a good reputation in academic circles (unsure about professionally), so if your goal is the masters and moving onto stronger schools the decision would be based on financial offers or city preference.

If you are planning on doing a PhD at either it would depend on your interests and how they match faculty, but I imagine with a full merit award from Bocconi you probably have a good idea of that.
    bocconi offers
    tuition waiver + €3500 or tuition waiver + housing, no TA, to be confirmed for 2nd year (confirmed if gpa>28)

bgse offers
    tuition waiver + €5300(gross) for half TAship (30hours, but actual amount would obviously be much larger)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information