Urch Forums

What's the current ranking of ARE programs?

ryanmagic

Hi gang!

I'm new here and I am interested in the Agricultural Economics programs.

I've read the links in the FAQs and in this thread http://www.www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/85597-making-case-arec-departments.html jlist said that he had posted a ranking thread, but I cannot find it!:whistle: I tried "ARE/ AREC/ Agricultural/ Ranking" and some combinations of these key words but I didn't seen that, I have read some ranking in the 1980s but that is out of date right?

Also I want to know which programs are equal to above Top-50 normal Econ programs.

If any one has ideas about these issures, would you please provide me a list or a link?:)

Thanks in advance.

There are always these rankings: Rankings: Resource & Agricultural Econ. . Even those are kind of old though. I think rankings are of limited use, particularly when it comes to ARE schools because there are so few of them and they are so specialized. Berkeley is still generally considered the top school and is usually equated with a top 20/top 30 normal econ school. Maryland and Davis are usually right up there as well, but where they would compare to an econ program it's hard to say. If you're specifically interested in the ag side of things Iowa St. definitely deserves mention as a top ARE program as well. Beyond that, a lot of ARE departments have some good faculty, but often their specialty only lies in a few specific issues in the ARE spectrum so you'd have to specify your interests.

Edit: Looks like nat_resource beat me to it as I was typing.

Thanks.

I would go further to have a look at these programs, one of the problems of the IDEAS is that they list the top institutions but not programs. And I am confused about that because my interests lays on IO and labor economics, and I know the development economics/ agricultrual economics/ resource economics have ralation with these topics, and ARE are focused on micro economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE.

There are always these rankings: Rankings: Resource & Agricultural Econ. . Even those are kind of old though. I think rankings are of limited use, particularly when it comes to ARE schools because there are so few of them and they are so specialized. Berkeley is still generally considered the top school and is usually equated with a top 20/top 30 normal econ school. Maryland and Davis are usually right up there as well, but where they would compare to an econ program it's hard to say. If you're specifically interested in the ag side of things Iowa St. definitely deserves mention as a top ARE program as well. Beyond that, a lot of ARE departments have some good faculty, but often their specialty only lies in a few specific issues in the ARE spectrum so you'd have to specify your interests.

Edit: Looks like nat_resource beat me to it as I was typing.

Thank you for that link, it really makes sense.

My interests lays on IO and labor economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE. By saying "equal to above Top-50 normal Econ programs" I want to know the chance of the programs to go to the academia. I am concerning that some of the lower ARE programs have no good chance in positions in academia.

Thanks.

I would go further to have a look at these programs, one of the problems of the IDEAS is that they list the top institutions but not programs. And I am confused about that because my interests lays on IO and labor economics, and I know the development economics/ agricultrual economics/ resource economics have ralation with these topics, and ARE are focused on micro economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE.

I'm pretty sure those courses at UCD are taught via the UC Davis econ dept, they're just dual numbered as ARE courses. You could take I/O as an ARE student at Berkeley.

• Like 1

Yeah, they're the exact same courses at Davis (I know a few people who've gone there). And as for placement, I would venture that only Berkeley can place comparably in academia to top 50 straight econ programs. Maryland ARE seems to place very well in the private/public sector, but their academic placements don't seem as good. Most ARE programs place their candidates in either low-ranked (or unranked) econ programs or other ARE programs. Obviously there are exceptions, but in most cases that seems to be the way it goes.

2008 was apparently a knockout year for them (it's been a while since I've looked at that site). Kellogg, U Michigan and World Bank all in one year!

That's amazingly good. Would have been better if Ryan Kellogg went to Kellogg though...ruins everything. :)

Yeah, they're the exact same courses at Davis (I know a few people who've gone there). And as for placement, I would venture that only Berkeley can place comparably in academia to top 50 straight econ programs. Maryland ARE seems to place very well in the private/public sector, but their academic placements don't seem as good. Most ARE programs place their candidates in either low-ranked (or unranked) econ programs or other ARE programs. Obviously there are exceptions, but in most cases that seems to be the way it goes.

I don't know how the economist work in private/public sector, specially micro economists. When I write to BLS to ask about the data they have, some economists would write emails to me, and I guess macro economists may be the advisers for the governments, right? And for sure there are no tenures, no summer breaks right? I like teaching as well, I think the academia may be more suitable for me.:)

I think it is OK to be placed in a competitive ARE program, I don't know well the differences between ARE programs and straight economics though, are the salaries or academic reputation the problems?

It is always said the competition is less fierce in the ARE programs but the placement would be discriminated, I am think about the reasoning behind that. What is the reason that the competition is less fierce? Is it because the fields are limited so less people would have interest or is it because the placement is not as good as normal Econ?

I'm pretty sure those courses at UCD are taught via the UC Davis econ dept, they're just dual numbered as ARE courses. You could take I/O as an ARE student at Berkeley.

Glad to hear that I can learn IO in ARE department as well. I know the ARE students and the Econ students are haveing class together, but I am concern about the last 3 years. Berkeley doesn't list IO out, Why come to A.R.E. for your Ph.D.? , so the IO class must be in the Econ department right? And the real differences should be, I think, you have to work with a ARE professor ritght? But if there are no IO guys in ARE department, who can you turn to do your dissertation with?

I think the problem with ARE programs is 1)The stigma that's attached to them makes for a self-fulfilling prophecy with regard to placements (as I have no doubt that some ARE students are "under-placed" compared to their straight econ peers; I think JL mentioned this in his post); 2)there is a smaller pool of applicants/candidates to pull from and therefore the competition is less and quality isn't as high by raw number (but by percentages I would expect it to be about the same); 3)ARE departments do have a general lack of theory in terms of research (aka, most of their research is more empirical or applied) and this may turn off some candidates that would otherwise be interested. Granted, I don't think all of these things apply to all ARE programs, but they're just a few things off the top of my head.
  • Like 1

I think the problem with ARE programs is 1)The stigma that's attached to them makes for a self-fulfilling prophecy with regard to placements (as I have no doubt that some ARE students are "under-placed" compared to their straight econ peers; I think JL mentioned this in his post); 2)there is a smaller pool of applicants/candidates to pull from and therefore the competition is less and quality isn't as high by raw number (but by percentages I would expect it to be about the same); 3)ARE departments do have a general lack of theory in terms of research (aka, most of their research is more empirical or applied) and this may turn off some candidates that would otherwise be interested. Granted, I don't think all of these things apply to all ARE programs, but they're just a few things off the top of my head.

Thank you for the insights. I have more interests in the theoretical stuffs. But what I concerned is my current research. My main project (not senior thesis) seems towards a empirical way because: a) As an undergraduate student, I have econometrics as my most powerful tool and I know few about how to do theorical stuff yet. b) There are more guys do empirical stuffs here in China, which I think may be a characteristic of developing country. c) I firstly want to discuss about the industrial structure, and later found it is not the topics in IO, and then my topic is more related with labor economics & development.

Do you think that the topic of my project would hurt my chance to be accepted by an IO program? Or is this background more suitbale for labor economics? What should I do to make up?

I would say that's something to ultimately decide in grad school once you've taken some courses and have an idea what's entailed. There is a lot of *applied* theory work in some top ARE programs, just not necessarily "pure" theory. I would just aim for programs strong in development in general and then as a secondary concern, look for strong IO and labor researchers. I think your choices are still pretty open, given your interests.

I would say that's something to ultimately decide in grad school once you've taken some courses and have an idea what's entailed. There is a lot of *applied* theory work in some top ARE programs, just not necessarily "pure" theory. I would just aim for programs strong in development in general and then as a secondary concern, look for strong IO and labor researchers. I think your choices are still pretty open, given your interests.

Yeah I know that is the decision to make in grad school. So did you mean you don't think it would hurt me if I state that my interest is IO but I did project related to labor?

My other concern is that what I posted before: "you have to work with a ARE professor ritght? But if there are no IO guys in ARE department, who can you turn to do your dissertation with?" So if I have entered a program without IO(like Berkeley ARE stated), I have no chance to do IO, is that the case?

Thirdly, you said the IO and labor should be secondary concern, do you mean that development is the most dicussed/hot topic in ARE programs?

But if there are no IO guys in ARE department, who can you turn to do your dissertation with?

There are IO professors in Berkeley ARE. Look at the faculty list on their website.

Perloff co-wrote an IO textbook and is an active researcher in the area. Villas-Boas does IO almost exclusively.

Also, look at the people who recently obtained the best placements from Berkeley ARE. Many did dissertations in IO. You can find their references/committee on their CVs if you care to search around a bit.

• Like 1

There are IO professors in Berkeley ARE. Look at the faculty list on their website.

Perloff co-wrote an IO textbook and is an active researcher in the area. Villas-Boas does IO almost exclusively.

Also, look at the people who recently obtained the best placements from Berkeley ARE. Many did dissertations in IO. You can find their references/committee on their CVs if you care to search around a bit.

Thanks, ovtavio.

I agree it is a good idea to view their dissertations and their references.

Yeah I know that is the decision to make in grad school. So did you mean you don't think it would hurt me if I state that my interest is IO but I did project related to labor?

I don't think it would hurt you in that sense. You just want to make sure that in your SoP you don't have anything that says "All I want to do is labor" and then the school doesn't have anyone doing labor. That will hurt your chances.

Thirdly, you said the IO and labor should be secondary concern, do you mean that development is the most dicussed/hot topic in ARE programs?

It's not really a reflection on the topic as much as your interests. It seems that development is your focus and IO/labor is a particular topic within development that you're interested in. Basically I just don't want you to narrow down your schools to a point where if they don't have very strong people in development, labor and IO, you don't apply. I think there's a lot of diversity in development and there may be some people at schools that label themselves as a "development guy/gal" but they actually do other labor or IO related issues as well.

Basically I just don't want you to narrow down your schools to a point where if they don't have very strong people in development, labor and IO, you don't apply. I think there's a lot of diversity in development and there may be some people at schools that label themselves as a "development guy/gal" but they actually do other labor or IO related issues as well.

[clap] I see, and I find there is indeed a relation btween me and development. BTW, what's the usual way you use to know whether they are strong people? Refer to the Ranks on IDEAS or view their CVs? I am not familiar with the academia yet and I am always confused what kind of ranking is a strong guy.

BTW, what's the usual way you use to know whether they are strong people? Refer to the Ranks on IDEAS or view their CVs? I am not familiar with the academia yet and I am always confused what kind of ranking is a strong guy.

I would just check their CV's and see where they're publishing. I don't exactly know what the top development journals are (I'm more of an environmental and behavior guy), so just find the top journals and compare where they're publishing. Also, ask your professors who some of the top people are and check journals you like to read and see where the authors of the articles that you like to read are from.

• Like 1

Hey Ryanmagic I am at UC Davis ARE now going into my second year. Since you are interested in development and interested in attending a ARE program I though would give you a quick little list of the places that I think are good for development in ARE:

UC Berkeley ARE: Alan de Janvry and Betsy Sadoulet are giants, plus the program has a couple real good younger professors. On top of that you have access to Bardhan and Miguel in the Econ program. UCB ARE is probably one of the best Development programs in the world in my opinion.

UC Davis ARE: Michael Carter is great, Ed Taylor's work is super insteresting (and is labor related) also Lybertt and Boucher are two awesome younger guys. There are also alot of other people in the dept who dont focus on development but still do work related to it (espeically in terms of ag and environmental stuff)

Cornell AEM: Barrett is awesome, his is definitely one of the biggest names in the field, there are other good professor in the program as well and Cornell's Econ program is strong in Development as well (Basu)

Wisconsin AAE: they lost Carter, but Schechter is awesome, esepcially if you like experimental stuff

UMD AREC: great program, but not too strong in development that being said they do have some very good younger profs.

From here there really are not too many programs that are super strong in development, Ohio State is pretty good in development, but the program does not have the placement record.

• Like 1