Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: What's the current ranking of ARE programs?

  1. #1
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    82
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No

    What's the current ranking of ARE programs?

    Sponsored Ad:
    Hi gang!

    I'm new here and I am interested in the Agricultural Economics programs.
    I've read the links in the FAQs and in this thread http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...partments.html jlist said that he had posted a ranking thread, but I cannot find it! I tried "ARE/ AREC/ Agricultural/ Ranking" and some combinations of these key words but I didn't seen that, I have read some ranking in the 1980s but that is out of date right?

    Also I want to know which programs are equal to above Top-50 normal Econ programs.

    If any one has ideas about these issures, would you please provide me a list or a link?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Within my grasp!
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    403
    Rep Power
    12


    Good post? Yes | No
    Berkeley, Maryland, and UC Davis are the top 3 ARE programs, in that order.
    Here is a ranking from IDEAS:
    Field Rankings at IDEAS: Agricultural Economics
    Rankings at IDEAS: Agricultural Economics Departments
    Field Rankings at IDEAS: Resource Economics

  3. #3
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    18


    Good post? Yes | No
    There are always these rankings: Rankings: Resource & Agricultural Econ. . Even those are kind of old though. I think rankings are of limited use, particularly when it comes to ARE schools because there are so few of them and they are so specialized. Berkeley is still generally considered the top school and is usually equated with a top 20/top 30 normal econ school. Maryland and Davis are usually right up there as well, but where they would compare to an econ program it's hard to say. If you're specifically interested in the ag side of things Iowa St. definitely deserves mention as a top ARE program as well. Beyond that, a lot of ARE departments have some good faculty, but often their specialty only lies in a few specific issues in the ARE spectrum so you'd have to specify your interests.

    Edit: Looks like nat_resource beat me to it as I was typing.

  4. #4
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    82
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks.
    I would go further to have a look at these programs, one of the problems of the IDEAS is that they list the top institutions but not programs. And I am confused about that because my interests lays on IO and labor economics, and I know the development economics/ agricultrual economics/ resource economics have ralation with these topics, and ARE are focused on micro economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE.

  5. #5
    Eager!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    82
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by AREStudentHopeful View Post
    There are always these rankings: Rankings: Resource & Agricultural Econ. . Even those are kind of old though. I think rankings are of limited use, particularly when it comes to ARE schools because there are so few of them and they are so specialized. Berkeley is still generally considered the top school and is usually equated with a top 20/top 30 normal econ school. Maryland and Davis are usually right up there as well, but where they would compare to an econ program it's hard to say. If you're specifically interested in the ag side of things Iowa St. definitely deserves mention as a top ARE program as well. Beyond that, a lot of ARE departments have some good faculty, but often their specialty only lies in a few specific issues in the ARE spectrum so you'd have to specify your interests.

    Edit: Looks like nat_resource beat me to it as I was typing.
    Thank you for that link, it really makes sense.
    My interests lays on IO and labor economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE. By saying "equal to above Top-50 normal Econ programs" I want to know the chance of the programs to go to the academia. I am concerning that some of the lower ARE programs have no good chance in positions in academia.

  6. #6
    Waiting...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    361
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmagic View Post
    Thanks.
    I would go further to have a look at these programs, one of the problems of the IDEAS is that they list the top institutions but not programs. And I am confused about that because my interests lays on IO and labor economics, and I know the development economics/ agricultrual economics/ resource economics have ralation with these topics, and ARE are focused on micro economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE.
    I'm pretty sure those courses at UCD are taught via the UC Davis econ dept, they're just dual numbered as ARE courses. You could take I/O as an ARE student at Berkeley.

  7. #7
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    18


    Good post? Yes | No
    Yeah, they're the exact same courses at Davis (I know a few people who've gone there). And as for placement, I would venture that only Berkeley can place comparably in academia to top 50 straight econ programs. Maryland ARE seems to place very well in the private/public sector, but their academic placements don't seem as good. Most ARE programs place their candidates in either low-ranked (or unranked) econ programs or other ARE programs. Obviously there are exceptions, but in most cases that seems to be the way it goes.

  8. #8
    Waiting...
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    361
    Rep Power
    13


    Good post? Yes | No
    Berkeley ARE places exceptionally well... I'd argue it's a top 25 "econ" department.

    http://areweb.berkeley.edu/past_placements.php

  9. #9
    An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,492
    Rep Power
    18


    Good post? Yes | No
    2008 was apparently a knockout year for them (it's been a while since I've looked at that site). Kellogg, U Michigan and World Bank all in one year!

  10. #10
    Within my grasp! TA89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    185
    Rep Power
    11


    Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by AREStudentHopeful View Post
    2008 was apparently a knockout year for them (it's been a while since I've looked at that site). Kellogg, U Michigan and World Bank all in one year!
    That's amazingly good. Would have been better if Ryan Kellogg went to Kellogg though...ruins everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Ranking of Management $ strategy programs
    By pmis in forum PhD in Business
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2006, 06:59 AM
  2. Ranking of CS Programs?
    By BigMan in forum GRE Computer Science
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2006, 04:53 PM
  3. Have You Seen This Ranking? --Econ PhD Programs:
    By DismalScientist in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 02:24 AM
  4. Ranking of part-time programs
    By dib in forum GMAT
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:37 AM
  5. Economics programs ranking
    By Nicole in forum Graduate Admissions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •