Sponsored Ad:
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the current ranking of ARE programs?

Eager!
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No

What's the current ranking of ARE programs?

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi gang!

I'm new here and I am interested in the Agricultural Economics programs.
    I've read the links in the FAQs and in this thread http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...partments.html jlist said that he had posted a ranking thread, but I cannot find it! I tried "ARE/ AREC/ Agricultural/ Ranking" and some combinations of these key words but I didn't seen that, I have read some ranking in the 1980s but that is out of date right?

Also I want to know which programs are equal to above Top-50 normal Econ programs.

If any one has ideas about these issures, would you please provide me a list or a link?
    Thanks in advance.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Berkeley, Maryland, and UC Davis are the top 3 ARE programs, in that order.
    Here is a ranking from IDEAS:
    Field Rankings at IDEAS: Agricultural Economics
    Rankings at IDEAS: Agricultural Economics Departments
    Field Rankings at IDEAS: Resource Economics

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    There are always these rankings: Rankings: Resource & Agricultural Econ. . Even those are kind of old though. I think rankings are of limited use, particularly when it comes to ARE schools because there are so few of them and they are so specialized. Berkeley is still generally considered the top school and is usually equated with a top 20/top 30 normal econ school. Maryland and Davis are usually right up there as well, but where they would compare to an econ program it's hard to say. If you're specifically interested in the ag side of things Iowa St. definitely deserves mention as a top ARE program as well. Beyond that, a lot of ARE departments have some good faculty, but often their specialty only lies in a few specific issues in the ARE spectrum so you'd have to specify your interests.

Edit: Looks like nat_resource beat me to it as I was typing.

Eager!
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks.
    I would go further to have a look at these programs, one of the problems of the IDEAS is that they list the top institutions but not programs. And I am confused about that because my interests lays on IO and labor economics, and I know the development economics/ agricultrual economics/ resource economics have ralation with these topics, and ARE are focused on micro economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE.

Eager!
    Blog Entries

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by AREStudentHopeful View Post
    There are always these rankings: Rankings: Resource & Agricultural Econ. . Even those are kind of old though. I think rankings are of limited use, particularly when it comes to ARE schools because there are so few of them and they are so specialized. Berkeley is still generally considered the top school and is usually equated with a top 20/top 30 normal econ school. Maryland and Davis are usually right up there as well, but where they would compare to an econ program it's hard to say. If you're specifically interested in the ag side of things Iowa St. definitely deserves mention as a top ARE program as well. Beyond that, a lot of ARE departments have some good faculty, but often their specialty only lies in a few specific issues in the ARE spectrum so you'd have to specify your interests.

Edit: Looks like nat_resource beat me to it as I was typing.
    Thank you for that link, it really makes sense.
    My interests lays on IO and labor economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE. By saying "equal to above Top-50 normal Econ programs" I want to know the chance of the programs to go to the academia. I am concerning that some of the lower ARE programs have no good chance in positions in academia.

Waiting...

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmagic View Post
    Thanks.
    I would go further to have a look at these programs, one of the problems of the IDEAS is that they list the top institutions but not programs. And I am confused about that because my interests lays on IO and labor economics, and I know the development economics/ agricultrual economics/ resource economics have ralation with these topics, and ARE are focused on micro economics. I'll also apply for the normal econs. I know there're IO and labor courses in UC Davis but no those courses in Berkeley ARE.
    I'm pretty sure those courses at UCD are taught via the UC Davis econ dept, they're just dual numbered as ARE courses. You could take I/O as an ARE student at Berkeley.

Good post? Yes | No
    Yeah, they're the exact same courses at Davis (I know a few people who've gone there). And as for placement, I would venture that only Berkeley can place comparably in academia to top 50 straight econ programs. Maryland ARE seems to place very well in the private/public sector, but their academic placements don't seem as good. Most ARE programs place their candidates in either low-ranked (or unranked) econ programs or other ARE programs. Obviously there are exceptions, but in most cases that seems to be the way it goes.

Waiting...

Good post? Yes | No
    Berkeley ARE places exceptionally well... I'd argue it's a top 25 "econ" department.

http://areweb.berkeley.edu/past_placements.php

Good post? Yes | No
    2008 was apparently a knockout year for them (it's been a while since I've looked at that site). Kellogg, U Michigan and World Bank all in one year!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by AREStudentHopeful View Post
    2008 was apparently a knockout year for them (it's been a while since I've looked at that site). Kellogg, U Michigan and World Bank all in one year!
    That's amazingly good. Would have been better if Ryan Kellogg went to Kellogg though...ruins everything.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information