Urch Forums

Roll Call 2011

AREStudentHopeful

There seems to be quite a few new faces around as people are coming to the forum for this fall's application season, so I thought it would be helpful to get this year's roll call started. No comments on this thread, just profiles. untitled asked that I add a note to help scrape profiles for the aggregate results page. In particular, it would help if everyone try to post their GPA on a 4 point scale first - if they have it - and then go ahead and post it in your native scale, and to be sure to include all three sections of your GRE in your GRE score so that he can look at verbal scores. Also, if you want, it would be nice if you wait to post until you have your GRE results. Without further ado, here's the profile template to get the ball rolling:

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE:

Math Courses:

Econ Courses (grad-level):

Econ Courses (undergrad-level):

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation:

Research Experience:

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests:

SOP:

Concerns:

Other:

Applying to:

Note: This post has been edited to accommodate the the TM analysis for untitled.

Edited by AREStudentHopeful

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. in economics from a satellite state school

Undergrad GPA: 3.35, 3.7 in econ

Type of Grad: M.A. Agricultural and Resource Economics from a large state school

Grad GPA: 3.6

GRE: 780Q, 590V, 5.0AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-III (C, B, B+), Linear Algebra (A), Axiomatic Systems-Intro to Proofs (A), Intro to Stats (A), Advanced ODE (in progress, expected A)

Econ Courses (masters-level): Micro, Math for Econ, Applied Metrics, Agricultural Production, Water Economics, Research Methods in Economics, Natural Resource, Macro (spring), Environmental (Spring)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to micro, intro to macro, intermediate micro, intermediate macro, advanced macro, environmental, natural resource, comparative systems, developmental, money and banking, econometrics

Other Courses: Many environmental science courses

Letters of Recommendation: 5 econ professors (2 Davis ARE, 1 U Colorado, 1 Berkeley ARE, 1 NC State) depending on what school I'm applying to based on their connections

Research Experience: RAed for an econ prof in undergrad, worked as an RA both years of my masters including one project that I'm getting published in a low-tier journal, masters thesis

Teaching Experience: TA for intro to micro and natural resource econ

Research Interests: Environmental is the main one, plus behavioral, urban and game theory on the side. I'm actually one of the few ARE-type people who enjoy theory.

SOP: In the Process of rewriting the one from 2 years ago - will be good-quality and fit to the programs.

Concerns: Not as stellar math grades as many of you, low undergrad GPA, no RA (a sin on this forum!)

Other: Applying for the usual fellowships

Applying to: Stanford (hey, the could make a mistake :)), UCSD, UCLA, Brown, Duke, Georgetown, Berkeley ARE, Maryland AREC, UCSB, Davis ARE, U Colorado, Ohio State, Arizona State, U Arizona, U Wyoming, NCSU and still looking for other suggestions :)

Edited by AREStudentHopeful
  • Like 1

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Managerial Economics and an Ag/Bio subject from a UC school

Undergrad GPA: 3.35, 3.65 in econ

Type of Grad: M.S. Agricultural and Resource Economics from a UC School

Grad GPA: 3.8

GRE: 780Q, 560V, 4.5AWA

Math Courses: Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Adv Calc (RA I), RAII, 3 Stats courses

Econ Courses (PhD-level): Metrics I

Econ Courses (masters-level): Micro Theory I

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to Micro/Macro, Inter Macro/Micro, Marketing, Metrics, Optimization, Production Management, Real Estate Econ, Econ Sustainability, Finance I,II, Accounting I,II

Other Courses: Many agricultural, biosci, chem, etc. classes

Letters of Recommendation: 1UC Davis ARE, 1 U Minn, 1 NCSU

Research Experience: Geology research, Wine sensory RA, ARE GSR for two qtrs now

Teaching Experience: None

Research Interests: Ag econ, Resource/energy Econ, Sustainability, IO, Micro ...

SOP: Rewriting from last year

Concerns: Not as much math as many, low overall UG GPA, applying with only a quarter's of M.S. grades in

Other: Applied to and got into 3 PhD programs and 1 M.S. program last cycle. One year M.S. and reapplying this cycle.

Applying to: UC Berkeley ARE, UC Davis ARE, Maryland AREc, Cornell Applied Econ, Minnesota Applied Econ, UCSD Econ, CU Boulder Econ, Washington Econ

Edited by asquare
updated at request of user

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BCom/BSc (Hons) Australian Uni, Maths major

Undergrad GPA: Overall: 3.93 Maths/Econ: 4.0

Type of Grad: N/A

Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 800Q, 650V, 4.5AWA

Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Topology, Metric Spaces, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Vector Analysis, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, Probability, Stats, ODEs, PDEs, Stochastic Calculus

Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Maths (including honours supervisor), 1 Econ

Research Experience: Honours Thesis, summer RA work

Teaching Experience: Calculus, Probability

Research Interests: Micro - most flavours, Experimental

SOP: Working on it

Concerns: No famous person touting my credentials

Other:

Applying to: Probably some top programs, probably some not so top ones.

Type of Undergrad: BS in Economics, minor in Bus. Admin. at Illinois State Uni

Undergrad GPA: 3.38 overall, a little better in econ.

Type of Grad: MA in Applied Economics from Illinois State Uni

Grad GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 year left, but I don't expect this to change)

GRE: 800 Q, 560 V, 4.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc I ©, Calc II © [both taken a decade ago when I was a freshman and not too mature], Calc III (A+), Advanced Probability Models (A), Linear Algebra (A+), Real Analysis (in progress)

Econ Courses (grad-level): MA level Micro, Macro, Econometrics (3 courses), and a few electives that probably won't factor into my admission decision (All A's)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Pretty much everything I could take: Econometrics I, II (A, A), Telecom Econ (B), Managerial Econ (A), Micro (B), Macro (A), Law and Econ (B), Money and Banking (B), Labor Econ (B), Organizational Econ (A), Enviro & Natural Resource Econ (B)

Other Courses: Standard classes needed to get a bachelor's

Letters of Recommendation: 3 that should range from good to outstanding from econ professors who's PhDs are from: U of Houston, U of Chicago, and UC-Berkley.

Research Experience: A little over a year of RA work. This includes co-authoring a paper submitted for publishing (no word back on acceptance or denial yet)

Teaching Experience: Some TA work done while in the masters program. Also, I have some tutoring experience from undergrad.

Research Interests: Health, Applied Micro, IO, maybe experimental, maybe Labor, maybe metrics (If I start thinking about a topic long enough I end up generating interest in it)

SOP: Should be pretty good. I'm going to talk about my past (since I have a little bit of an unusual profile having left school for 5 years to work), why I want a PhD, why school X fits me, and why I fit school X.

Concerns: My undergrad grades range from terrible to okay, but there is nothing outstanding. I lack some math courses (although I have killed all the recent classes I've taken).

Other: Between my undergrad and master's I spent 5 years working. Most of that time I was a Financial Consultant for a large regional bank (at the time it was the 8th largest bank in the U.S.).

Applying to: I reserve the right to change this list at a later time. Here's my current list: Illinois, Cornell, Duke, Arizona, Michigan State, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, UNC-CH, and Iowa

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad:BS in Business at private top-25 school

Undergrad GPA:3.62, 4.0 in econ courses

Type of Grad:MA in econ at Public Master's univ.

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: 800Q/630V/4.0AWA

Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Intro linear alg and diff equations (all A's), math probability, linear algebra, proofs (all in progress), real analysis, math stats (all planned for spring)

Econ Courses (grad-level): MA Macro, Micro, econometrics (all A's), time series, research methods (all in progress)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Basic and intermediate macro/micro, econometrics, math econ, macroecon and growth (all A's)

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors from master's program

Research Experience: Master's thesis, RA (both in progress...:D)

Teaching Experience:

Research Interests: International, Development, Policy

SOP: Working on it

Concerns: Not enough math and econ courses, lack of research/teaching experience, mediocre undergrad GPA (at least among the applicants)

Other:

Applying to: Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, Texas-Austin, Washington, Vanderbilt, USC, UCSB, Rice, Texas A&M, Houston, UCI, UCSC. A mix of highly ranked and middle-of-the-pack schools.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 100 LAC, Midwest

Undergrad GPA: 2.83, 3.1 in Econ Major, CS minor

Type of Grad: MS Applied Econ Illinois State University

Grad GPA: 3.24

GRE: 730 Q 650 V 4.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc I (A), Calc-II (B+), Stats and Data Analysis-I (A-), Adv Stats for Social Sciences: A, Discrete Math: C+

Econ Courses (grad-level): Macro, Micro, Econometrics I, II, III; Advanced Public Finance, International Trade, International Finance

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Whole bunch, includes Math Econ, Intermediate Macro Micro

Other Courses: Security Analysis

Letters of Recommendation: 1 prof from Chicago, 1 a Harvard fellow from Colorado, 1 Stats professor from UIUC

Research Experience: RA for Public Finance prof, Research Paper on Ricardian Equivalence published in 2nd tier journal

Teaching Experience: TA for undergrad stats

Research Interests: Energy economics, Macro, Econometrics

SOP: Should be alright

Concerns: Low GPA, GRE

Other:

Applying to: Mostly Ag econ programs: UKY, Clemson AREC, UWYO, Auburn AREC, Utah State, Oregon State, Rhode Island, GA State, UGA AREC, Missouri AREC, West Virgina, Western Mich

Will I be OK?

Edited by akmandal

PROFILE:

Undergraduate: BSc (Hons) Mathematics & Computer Science, top ranked institute in my country.

Undergraduate GPA: 10/10 (A) {A-10/10, AB-9/10, B-8/10, BC-7/10, C-6/10, D-5/10, E-Fail}

Type of Graduate: M. S. Quantitative Economics, top ranked institute in my country.

Graduate GPA: M. S. Quantitative Economics – First class with distinction (Gold Medal).

GRE: 800Q, 620V, 5.5AWA.

Math Courses at BSc: Algebra {I-IV}, Calculus {I-III}, Discrete Mathematics, Topology, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, ODE, PDE, Number Theory, Mathematical Logic, Probability Theory.

Graduate Math courses (at BSc): Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Measure Theoretic Probability, Stochastic Processess, Functional Analysis.

Economics courses at M.S. Quantitative Economics: Microeconomics {I, II}, Macroeconomics {I, II}, Game Theory {I, II}, Econometric Methods {I, II}, Econometric Applications {I, II}, Theory of Finance {I-III}, International Economics {I, II}, Advanced Topics in International Economics, Bayesian Econometrics, Time Series Analysis & Forecasting, Monetary Economics, Social Accounting.

Other Courses: Mathematical Physics {Linear Algebra, ODEs}, Classical Mechanics, Introduction to Programming, Advanced Programming, Design & Analysis of Algorithms, Computer Organisation, Mathematical Theory of Computation, Programming Language Concepts.

Letters of Recommendation: From 3 economists who know me very well!

Research Experience: 3 projects in econometrics, I wouldn't call it a research as it is with writing a thesis, but it does involve collecting data, setting problem, finding a solution to the problem with the help of the data by using statistical packages.

Teaching Experience: None.

Research Interests: Alot of topics in Macroeconomics, Finaicial Economics, Monetary Policy, International Macroeconomics.

SOP: I followed a template recommended by a very well-known professor at USA.

Concerns: No "actual" research experience involving writing a thesis.

Applying to: All top schools in USA, LSE, some schools in 20-30 range.

Good luck for everyone!

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 50 Undergrad (Top 30 or so Econ)

Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (3.8 econ)

Type of Grad:

Grad GPA:

GRE: 780Q/580V/5.0AW

Math Courses: Calc I/II/III (A- to A); Diff. E.Q (A); Linear Algebra (A-); Proof Writing (A); Linear Analysis (A); Advanced Multi-Var. Calc (A); Real Analysis (A); Calc Stats (B+)

Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro I (B); Natural Resource Econ (B+/A-); Property Rights (A); Theory of the State (A)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): intro - intermediate micro/macro (A); econometrics (A); economic theory (A); environmental economics (A);

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: A letter from one of the most well known econ professors at my undergrad; A letter from a well known professor at undergrad and current head of the graduate department; and a letter from a very well known researcher at my work (envir. econ research think tank)

Research Experience: Undergraduate honors thesis; Intern at NOAA in their econ department; 2 years of research experience at a very well known environmental econ think tank, some discussion papers but no published papers

Teaching Experience: Tutored undergrad econ; grader

Research Interests: varied: risk valuation and distribution; econometrics; global climate change research and modeling (leakage/competitiveness, LULUCF/CDM) ; fisheries;

SOP: not written yet, who knows, hopefully its good

Concerns: GRE quant wasn't an 800, but I have heard not to stress too much over that; it would have been nice to have some publications to show for my research but it wasnt in the cards for me

Other: Applying to NSF, I think I have a pretty good topic but I am sure a thousand other people will too

Applying to: Berkeley ARE; Stanford; Columbia; NYU; MIT; Harvard; U Penn; U Chicago; UCSD; Duke; U Maryland; UM AREC; UC Davis

Edited by ferrij492

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Mathematics and B.A. in Political Science (minor in Spanish) from a large state school

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4

Grad GPA:

GRE: 780Q / 570 V / ?? AWA

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Introduction to Proofs (all A's), Combinatorics (B), in progress: Analysis I, Topology, Introduction to Abstract Algebra, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles of Macro and Micro, International Political Economy (A's), in progress: Intermediate Macro

Other Courses: several Political Science, Spanish, and Philosophy courses

Letters of Recommendation: 1 Math professor (PhD UC Berkeley), 1 Poli Sci. Professor (PhD MIT), 1 other (??)

Research Experience: I spent a summer doing research in a developing country with a grant from my university, though it was never published.

Teaching Experience: Tutored high school calculus/math/spanish

Research Interests: Economic development/growth, international economics, immigration, international trade

SOP: in progress.

Concerns: Undergraduate institution, lack of economics classes, my B in Combinatorics, no published research, no 800Q on GRE.

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, Cornell, Duke, UMaryland, UVA, Boston University, Johns Hopkins, UNC-CH, Georgetown, along with some Math masters programs.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Public Ivy, Double Major: Math, Economics

Undergrad GPA: 3.04

Type of Grad: -NA-

Grad GPA: -NA-

GRE: Q: 800, V: 590, AW (waiting)

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Probability Theory, Non-Euclidean Geometry, Proof Writing, Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Advanced Statistics I-II, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Urban, Development, Game Theory all cross-listed with grad classes.

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): International, Macro Policy

Other Courses: Legal Environment of Business, Philosophy of Engineering

Letters of Recommendation: None yet, I have plenty of prospects.

Research Experience: None

Research Interests: Monetary Theory, Game Theory, (lesser extent) Development

SOP: Pretty Good so far.

Concerns: GPA: 3.04

Other: I have consistently taken the hardest classes available, and my GPA reflects it.

Applying to: Duke (MSc.), Cornel Ag., Iowa St., Michigan St., Wisc Ag., NYU (MSc.), SUNY, Syracuse, Georgetown, Penn St., Northeastern, Boston College.

For whatever reason, I feel confident.

Edited by econm

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. Economics and Philosophy Dual Major - 170s ranked National University, Top 100 Econ PhD program

Undergrad GPA: 3.97 Cumulative, 4.0 in both majors (only 1 B, in irrelevant course)

Type of Grad: n/a

Grad GPA: n/a

GRE: 770Q, 550V, 5.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc I and II (A, A+), Currently in Multivariate Calc and Linear Algebra, will take Differential Equations in the spring, along with Intro to Stat and Prob.

Econ Courses: Intro Micro, Intro Macro, Econ Stats, Inter Micro, Inter Macro (in progress), Econometrics, Mathematical Economics (in progress), various elective courses.

Letters of Recommendation: 2 Econ Professors right now, 1 relatively recent PhD from Emory (will be co-authoring a paper and starting RA job with him soon), 1 well known professor from Florida State, and trying to figure out a third.

Research Experience: Will start RA job soon, currently researching philosophical debate regarding organ markets, and will soon be evaluating the institutions underlying organ markets in various countries.

Teaching Experience: Tutored students in various math, accounting, philosophy, social science courses, TA for an intro level philosophy course, but no real teaching involved with that.

Research Interests: Public Economics, Political Economy, Development, Microeconomics, Environmental and Natural Resource Economics, Health Economics, Austrian Economics

Concerns: GRE score, Who to get a third recommendation from (Math Econ professor who does not know me very well outside of the class I'm currently taking with him (only 3 weeks in), or philosophy professor who will write a stellar recommendation), lack of advanced math preparation (Real Analysis, Probability Theory, etc)

Will be applying to: Carnegie Mellon (Econ and PP), Maryland, Brown, Wash U of St. Louis, U of Virginia, George Mason, Florida State, Clemson, West Virginia, U Penn Wharton Applied Econ, Syracuse, Tufts (master's), Vanderbilt, Pittsburgh, NC State

Any words of advice? Am I applying to a good range of schools?

Profile:

Type of Undergrad: BS in econ from directional state university, but took my intermediate micro and macro classes at a top 15 university

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4 (from degree-granting institution)

Type of Grad: JD/MBA from Big Ten university

Grad GPA: JD: 3.4 MBA: 3.9

GRE: 780Q, 700V, 5.5AWA

Math Courses: Calc 1 and 2, A's (community college); Calc 3 4.0/4, linear algebra 3.5/4 (big ten university). Elementary stats, B (top 15 university); Intro to Prob and Stats, A (directional state university). Starting a masters in pure mathematics program this fall at directional state university to beef up math background (Adv. Algebra (abstract algebra book), Adv. Calc (intro to analysis book), DiffEq).

Econ Courses:

Intro Micro and Macro, A's (community college); Intermediate Micro, B, Intermediate Macro, A (top 15 university); monetary policy, environmental econ, international econ, econometrics, A's, labor econ, B, grad-level game theory, A (directional state university). Other: law and economics at law school, A.

Letters of Recommendation: One from my MBA program (Princeton econ ph.d.), one from my game theory professor, one from law school professor with whom I have a good rapport (Yale JD), one from another law school professor with whom I wrote my thesis-type paper (Columbia JD and global business law expert)

Research Experience: Highly lacking in this, unless you count my legal paper on Chinese bankruptcy law.

Research Interests: Law and econ, behavioral, political economy, managerial economics

SOP: I'm a pretty good writer and, as evidenced by my school track record, have had lots of practice.

Concerns: No research, non-traditional LORs, bounced around in undergrad (community college, two top 25 schools, finished at directional state university to be closer to home/money issues), yet-to-be-determined strength of math background, older applicant.

Applying to: UW-Madison, Kellogg's MECS program, Berkeley, Vanderbilt's L&E program, Stanford GSB political economics, Michigan State, maybe Iowa (this list will probably change quite a bit)

Type of Undergrad: Business Economics, Southeast Asian university, not Singapore, graduated April 2010

Undergrad GPA: I don't know how to convert it, but I graduated magna cum laude

GRE: taking it on October 2010, will edit my profile when I get my score

Math Courses: (lower division) Calc I-III, Introduction to Proofs; (upper division) Linear Algebra, Math Stats, Differential Equations, Real Analysis

Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro and Macro, Mathematical Economics, Econometrics, Game Theory, IO, Public Econ, International Econ, Money and Banking, Development Econ, Thesis, audited a grad Micro course (but it won't show up in the transcript, I was told)

Other Courses: a whole bunch of Business courses

Letters of Recommendation: (not yet final) 1 Ohio State PhD (my thesis adviser); another from a prof I am RA-ing for (PhD from my undergrad uni, but publishes in internationally-refereed journals); 1 Northwestern PhD; 1 Columbia PhD

Research Experience: currently working as an RA in health economics project for a prof in my uni (1 year term), resulting journal article to be submitted in an internationally-refereed journal next year; senior thesis (won undergraduate thesis award, will present it in annual convention of economics society in my country, forthcoming in local journal); 1 year stint as an RA for a local think-tank, but work was macro-related (time series analysis and stuff); participated in research workshop in undergrad uni

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: Public Economics, Health Economics, IO, Econometrics

SOP: the usual I guess

Others: came from Accounting program in my uni, left school for a year to travel and "know myself" better, went back and shifted to Economics

Concerns: Though my uni has recently placed students to Northwestern, Columbia and Michigan, most of them completed master's degrees in economics; might be the first to apply to US programs as an undergrad. (Someone got into Toulouse M1 2 years ago with only an undergrad in her belt. She's now in M2.) 1-2 of my letters of recommendation will come from profs who don't come from Top 20 US schools, but know me very well. Dunno how my grades will be evaluated too since we have a weird grading system.

Applying to: Northwestern, Stanford GSB (Economic Analysis & Policy), Columbia, Duke, Carnegie Mellon (Economics and Public Policy), Michigan, Penn, UPF, Toulouse, Tilburg, Tinbergen, UAB, CEMFI

I am quite aware that I will need a miracle to get into ANY of the US schools I'm applying to, seeing as I'm the first from my uni to apply directly as an undergrad. But these are the only schools I would be willing to attend, so if I don't get in anywhere (though I hope to get into one of the European master's), I will reapply next year with a better profile. Crossing my fingers too. :)

papachara

Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Economics from unknown Latin-american university

Undergrad GPA: N/A (First place from class)

Type of Grad: M.S. Economics from well-known Latin-american University

GRE: 800Q / 570V / 4.0AWA, Taking it again.

Math Courses: Real Analysis I and II (A+), Measure Theory (A+), Topology (A), Convexity and Optimization (A), Dynamic Sistems (A-), Probability (A), Intro to Stochastic Processes.

Econ Courses (grad-level): Microeconomic Theory (A+), Game Theory (A), Macro I and II (A+), Mechanism Design (A), Political Economy, General Equilibrium, Macroeconometrics, Microeconometrics (A-)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro I and II, Macro I and II, IO, International Economics I and II, Growth, Development, Econometrics I and II, Topics in Micro Theory, Topics in Mathematical economics, Monetary, Econometrics I and II, Public Economics. Basically A's and A+'s

Other Courses: Agent-Based modelling

Letters of Recommendation: 1 prof from NYU, 1 from UCLA and 1 from Urbana-champaign (knows me very well and should be an excellent letter)

Research Experience: RA in political economy research for 3 years, thesis in political economy

Teaching Experience: TA in econometrics, microeconomics and computational economics

Research Interests: Micro theory, computational economics and development

SOP: Not started, but should not be a problem

Concerns: Hoping that LORs are strong.

Other:

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, NYU, Columbia, Chicago, Caltech, Berkeley, Northwestern, UPenn, Carnegie Mellon. Maybe: Brown, Boston, Washington at St. Louis. Maybe some europeans: UPF and Toulouse. Maybe some in Canada: UBC and Toronto.

Type of Undergrad: South Italian University. Graduate in 2004.Major in Economics

Undergrad GPA: 110/110 cum laude (say equivalent to 4 )

Type of Grad: MSc in economics form a top 5 UK department in 2007,

Grad GPA: Master 90+%,

GRE: 800Q, 590V, 3.0AWA. I will be retaking it next month. Do not consider this result when evaluating my profile.

Math Courses: (UG)General Mathematics, Financial Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis Multivariable Analysis(should be calculus) , Statistics I and I. ‐ All equivalent to A's or A+.

Math Courses: (Master): introductory to math and stats 90%+

Econ Courses (masters-level): Micro, Macro, monetary economics ,international monetary economics, Econometrics ,Trade theory All 90%+

Econ Courses (PhD level) About 13 course in macro fields with famous profs at PhD level. All passed with A’s

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Micro and Macro Theory, Labor, International economics, monetary economics, Industrial econ. Development economics, economic history, History of economic thought theory, econometrics, Public economics, Regional Economics, Applied economics, Economic Policy‐ All equivalent to A's or A+

Other Courses: Summer school at UPF

Letters of Recommendation: ) 1 stellar letters from a NYU PhD undergraduate thesis supervisor well connected 2) Form a guy with PhD Michigan well known in his field. I got A in his graduate course. I am now looking for the third letter.

Research Experience: A working paper in progress with one of my a lor writers and we are talking to start working on a paper with my second lor writer. Not sure If I will have something concrete by December 2010 . I won special merit from the evaluation committee for the quality of my u/g thesis work, presentation skills and academic performance. I also won the prize for the best u/g thesis for that year. My MSc thesis was marked (90%+) as the best among MSc students in my year. Visitor Researcher at a well know institute .Visitor Scholar at a top 20 US department (research only) for fall 2009. I have served as a visitor scholar at the research division of the ECB

Teaching Experience: TA for intro to micro (In the USA) and for Monetary economics

Research Interests: Monetary economics , International macro, .

SOP: Should be strong.

Concerns: AGE!!!! I am, currently 33. I will been turned 34 and a half by fall 2011 .. I need to get new letters of recommendation from people I currently work with . I cannot ask for a letter from my MSc because of other personal reasons nor from the US department.

Other: Applying for the usual fellowships.

Applying to: In many programs. In the US and Europe. Suggestions are welcome !

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Top 50 Public University

Major: BS in Economics, BA in Mathematics

Undergrad GPA: Overall 2.90/4 (Econ GPA: 3.58 – A’s in nearly all advanced classes)

GRE: Taking mid/end of November

Math Courses: Calc I/II/II (B, C+, B), Linear Algebra (B), DiffEq ©, MVC I (B-), Math Proofs (B), Probability I (B+)

Econ Courses: Intro Micro/Macro (A-), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A-, A-), Investments & Capital Finance (A+), Computational Finance (A), Advanced Macro (A-), Monetary Policy I&II (A+, A+), Cost-Benefit Analysis (A+), Econometrics (B)

Other Courses: Intro Stats (A-)

Letters of Recommendation: Very strong letter from a professor I have a great relationship with. Another very strong letter from another prof that I took two classes with (Two A+’s). However, both are not tenured.

Research Experience: None

Research Interests: Econometrics

SOP: Haven’t written yet. I’m guessing there’s going to be this huge part about how I’ve become a more competent student.

Concerns: Low math grades, lack of research experience, LORs not unknown professors

Applying To: UBC, SFU, McGill, McMaster, U of Toronto, Tufts, U Colorado @ Denver, CEMFI, Barcelona GSE, LSE, UCL, CSU

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: business admin, specialising in econ (top Canadian b-school)

Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4.0 or 3.98/4.0, depending on conversion scheme

Type of Grad: none

GRE: Q800, V790, AWA pending

Math Courses: calc I and II (A, A), stats (A+), algebra I and II (A+), calc III (multivariate - in progress), real analysis I (in progress), real analysis II (spring)

Econ Courses (grad-level): none

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): intro micro, intro macro, international econ, advanced micro, advanced macro, metrics (all A+); supply-side macro (B+); did a term in China's top econ department (roughly speaking, >85 = A): international trade (90), information econ (91), Chinese development (93), urban and regional econ (98); applied metrics and forecasting (spring); managerial econ (spring)

Other Courses: none relevant

Letters of Recommendation: micro prof (reasonably well-known in IO and a past department chair); research supervisor in Beijing (used to be tenured at UNC, well-connected in health policy); and one not sure, possibly a fresh Princeton PhD

Research Experience: summer fellow at an econ think tank in Beijing, one RAship at my home school, two conference presentations of my sole-authored papers

Teaching Experience: TAing micro and business statistics this fall

Research Interests: still fluid; currently economics of human capital (education, health), transition economies, other applied micro

SOP: standard

Concerns: credibility of LORs; insufficient math background; low visibility of UG econ department

Other: skipped the entire intermediate econ sequence and some lower-division maths, still did fine in advanced courses

Applying to: SSHRC (Canadian version of NSF), Toronto MA, UBC MA, Queen's MA, assorted top 15 PhD (still populating list; will include a couple of health policy programmes)

Edited by Elliephant
GRE update

Attending US NEWS Top 40 East Coast Liberal Arts college.

Major: Economics and Public Policy. Minor: Applied Math

Rising Senior. GPA So far : 3.88 (Major 3.94)

Class Rank: 15/565

Study Abroad at Oxford University. Two 2:1, two firsts out of 4 tutorials.

Omicron Delta Epsilon Honors Society (for whatever its worth)

GRE: Q 780, V 600, AWA 5.5

Econ So far: Intro Macro (A), Intro Micro (A), Inter Macro(A), Inter Micro(A-), Econ Stats(A), Econ of China's Growth and Trade (A-), Marxian Economics and Perspectives (A), Money and Banking (A) Public Economics (A) Welfare Economics (A-)

Taking:Macroeconomic Stabilization, Impact of Trade Liberalization

Will Take: Econometrics

Math So far: Calc 1(A), Calc 2(A), Calc 3(A), Dynamic Optimization (A), Stats (A)

Taking: Linear Algebra & Diff Equations, Prob Stats 2

Will Take: Advanced Stats

Research Exp: Authored one research paper on unemployment and incarceration with a professor last summer.

Other Stuff: Did a course on global trade and development this summer.

Recommendations: Professor at Oxford. Well known here. Would definitely help with my application for the Oxford Mphil program. (professor taught at LSE and attended a top 10 institution in the USA)

Another from a not so well known professor at my college. The professor knows me very well and the recommendation should be excellent.

The third one is from a top professor from my department who attended a top 10 institution in the USA

SOP: Should be decent.

Research Interests: Trade, FDI,

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: B.A. economics (unknown west-european university with a lot of unnecessary business courses)

Undergrad GPA: 1.3 on a scale from 1.0(best possible) to 5.0, (best of my class out of ca. 350)

Grad GPA: none

GRE: Q700, V340 (TOEFL 109), AWA pending - awful, always scored 800Q before, taking it again in october

Math Courses: math for econs (A+), stats I (A), stats II and econometrics (in progress), real analysis I (in progress), linear algebra and analytical geometry I (in progress), 2 further high math courses in spring..

Econ Courses (grad-level): none, not possible at my university

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): micro theory I (A+), micro theory II (B+), macro I (A+), macro II (A-), Public Econ (A-), Institutional Economics and Game Theory(A+), International Economics (A+), Industrial Organization (A+), development econ (A+)

Other Courses: a lot of compulsory boring business classes, mostly A's, one B, one B-..

Letters of Recommendation: two micro profs, (i work as a RA for one, the other is an american prof), one macro prof. every letter should be very strong, but they aren't known outside europe.

Research Experience: RA for approximately 1.5 years. one research paper in progress. one discussion paper co-authored.

Teaching Experience: none but private tutoring since 1st school grade :). i've tried, not allowed in my university as an undergrad to teach official courses.

Research Interests: microeconomics. IO, behavioral/institutional economics and game theory.

SOP: in progress, nothing special.

Concerns: terrible first GRE scores; totally insufficient math background; unknown recommendators and unknown undergrad university. Before studying economics a was a terrible student: A-Levels were awful - 2.7, and i quit my first university study (physics major, math minor)

Applying to: Master: LSE, Cambridge, UCL, UEA, Tinbergen, Tilburg, Toulouse, Paris, Barcelona, Toronto, British Columbia. PhD: Cornell, Michigan, Minnesota, Madison, ... not yet decided, depending on second GRE and self-confidence. i am not even sure if to apply now for a phd or after making a master degree.. any advice? :)

Type of Undergrad:[/b] B.A. economics (top chilean school)

Undergrad GPA: 3.2 / 4.0

Type of Grad: M.S. in Finance (top chilean school)

Grad GPA: 4.0 /4.0 , top of my class

GRE: Q790, V570 (TOEFL 112), AWA 3.5

Math Courses: Calculus I, II and III, Algebra I and II, Statistics I and II, Econometrics I and II, Applied Financial Econometrics

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Introduction to economics, microeconomics (intro, I and II), macroeconomics (intro, I and II), tax economics, labor economics, political economics, development economics, international economics, etc.

Other Courses: Finance I,II, Corporate Finance, International Finace, Contract theory, Capital Markets, Applied Finance, Derivates and Options

Letters of Recommendation:I had to get many, as each professor is only willing to send a 3-4, and I'm applying to 10-15 schools. One of them (and the only one that I can use for all schools) is from the professor that I'm currently working with. I've worked with him for over 7 years as a TA and RA. He's former dean of research at a top local school. 3 others are from Deans from other schools (I've worked with all of them) and 2 from professors that I've had classes with. All PhDs Econ from top 10-30 US programs

Research Experience: RA for approximately 2 years. Currently working with a professor on two papers: venture capital contracting, and effects of political events on stock prices. MS thesis on non linear events in mutual fund market, BS thesis on industrial cluster development.

Teaching Experience: Many TAs and lectured on Entrepreneurial Finance on 3 of the 4 top Chilean business schools

Non Academic Experience: 6 years, 2 in strategic consulting, 2 in private equity, 2 in corporate finance, all in world know companies.

Research Interests: Development economics linked to entrepreneurial finance, contract theory, capital markets... finance or business oriented obviously

SOP: Clearly need to address how my work experience could benefit the program...

Concerns: First and foremost, my corporate experience as opposed to relatively short academic experience. Second, but extremely important, my age... I'm 29. Undergrad record is not strong, but doesn't worry me as much as the previous.

Applying to: not yet decided... hoping for some input on programs with finance or business orientation.

Type of Undergrad: Top 10 Liberal Arts College in the States, (BA) Double major in math and econ

Undergrad GPA: 3.72/4.0 (Cumulative), 3.5 (Math), 3.7 (Econ)

Type of Grad: NA

Grad GPA: NA

GRE: 800 Q, 660 V, 5.0 AWA (2nd attempt)

Math Courses: Linear Algebra: B, Vector Calculus: B+, Combinatorics: A, Intro to Analysis: A- , Deterministic Operations Research: A- , Probability Theory: IP, Math thesis on Game Theory: IP (Anticipate taking Statistical Theory and Principles of Real Analysis 1 next semester)

Econ Courses (grad-level): NA

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Macroeconomic Theory: A- , Micro Theory: A- , Economic Statistics: B+, LSE Summer Course Intro to Econometrics: B+, Poverty and Income Distribution (Economics elective): A, International Economics (elective): A, Technology and Growth (Advanced Econ elective): A , Econometrics: IP, Game Theory for Economists: IP

Other Courses: NA

Letters of Recommendation: One glowing one from Stanford economist (at my school, but got his PhD from Stanford, same for all other profs mentioned here), one good one from MIT, undecided between another prof from MIT and the other prof I'm doing research with at the (relatively) cutting edge of terrorism and growth theory

Research Experience: Co-authoring a paper on Terrorism and Economic growth (but only submitted to fourth tier economic journal/second tier political journal)

RA with environmental economist this summer

Teaching Experience: NA

Research Interests: Growth Theory, Social Capital Economics, Game Theory (too early to say with any certainty however)

SOP: A conservative, no nonsense one?

Concerns: Below average math grades, unspectacular research experience, basically very below average kind of profile. I decided late to apply to an Econ PhD

Other: NA

Applying to: Masters programs - UBC, U Toronto, Queen's, LSE (EME and Msc), Tufts, Duke, (maybe)BU.

PhD programs - 5 or 6 reach schools, probably all within 30 - 10 ranked range, just to see if I can get in. Not decided on which schools.

Type of Undergrad: Joint Econ/Math & Computer Science double major at ~Top 10 Econ PhD Department

Undergrad GPA: 3.84

GRE: 740Q, 610V (mediocre, retaking)

Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, and non-calc based Intro to Prob & Statistics (As). Analysis I with Wade (A) and Calc-Based Prob & Statistics (B), Topology (right now)

Econ Courses: Intro Macro/Micro (A/A), Interm Micro/Macro (A/A), Money & Banking (A) at previous inst. Public Economics (A), Africa Class in the Master's Program, reading papers mostly (A-), Intro to Econometrics, using Wooldridge, but with Linear Algebra (A-). Adv Macro & Finance (A), Honors Thesis (right now)

Other Courses: All the Computer Science courses, specially a Graduate Scientific Computing course (right now)

Letters of Recommendation: An great one from pretty much the top guy of our department (Harvard PhD), who I'm doing research with now, and will advise me on my Honors Thesis. A great one from a Game Theorist who I'm doing research with. He's a political scientist (NWU PhD) in the PoliSci department though. The last one indeterminate still.

Research Experience: One big project with the top guy, and several projects with the PoliSci guy, will probably co-author a paper that will be sent out by November.

Research Interests: Macro, Growth Theory, Finance, but pretty broad honestly. Definitely theory though.

Other: Registered for Topology in the fall (well known Math prof.), and will show in my transcript. I'm also doing an Honors Thesis.

Applying to: Top 10, safeties in the 10-20 range, couple of Top Business schools for their Econ PhD's

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Public U in New England

Undergrad GPA: 3.72

Grad GPA: none yet

GRE: not yet

Math Courses: Multivariable Calculus (A-), Linear Algebra (A-), Introduction to calculus based Statistics (A-)

Econ Courses (grad-level): The Economics of Cooperation, Coordination, and Conflict [basically, micro econ with evolutionary game theory] (IP), Mathematics for Economists (IP)

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro (B+), Intermediate Macro (A), International Trade (A), International Finance (B+), Latin American Economic Development (B), Behavioral Economics (A)

Other Courses: Graduate level Quantitative Methods in the Resource Econ department (IP), and planned Grad Level Econometrics in the same department as well

Letters of Recommendation: 1 from prof that I had for intermediate micro, grad math methods, and is a thesis adviser, should be very good. 1 from department head who is thesis adviser, also should be very good, hopefully 1 from the grad micro prof who is pretty famous, but if not 1 from the department head at a local highly ranked liberal arts college that I took international trade with and possibly 1 from the res econ professor.

Research Experience: Two independent studies that were associated with our annual spring debate, and were graded of course (A's both times), and my thesis on the IMF and economic development.

Teaching Experience: Department tutor for two years

Research Interests: International Economics, Evolutionary Game Theory, Incentives

SOP: working on it

Concerns: I actually failed multivar the first time around (long story) and W dropped the stats as well. Also W dropped mathematics of finance because it while it was supposed to be cool stuff, it ended up just being a prep class for the actuarial exam, which I was not interested in at all. My only other concern is not having enough math, though I think taking the three graduate courses will be fine, as my professors seem to think so.

Other: I had a non-technical paper (it was for my mandatory writing in economics course) published by the university (in the university anthology of student writing). I might make it more technical later, since I see an opportunity to apply what I'm learning in evolutionary game theory to what I wrote about. I know it doesn't count for too much, but at least it's something. I'm only applying to places I would not be able to turn down if accepted. My primary goal is to apply to RA positions at various consulting firms to get some more research experience under my belt and apply again in a year or two.

Applying to: HBS Business Economics, Stanford EAP, Wharton Applied Econ, MIT, Berkeley Haas Business and Public Policy, UBC Sauder Strategy and Business Economics, UBC regular econ, University of Washington, and Tufts MA program.

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: BA Econ with honors, Top 5 US

Undergrad GPA: 3.7 overall, 3.75 Econ

Type of Grad: None

GRE: 800Q, 740V, 6.0 AWA

Math Courses: Multivariable (B+), Linear Algebra (B+), Stats (A), Probability and Stochastic Systems (A), Currently taking Real Analysis at local public college

Econ Courses (grad-level): None

Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro, Macro, Metrics (A-, A-, B+), Public Finance (A), International Trade (A), Finance (B+), Environmental/Resource Econ (A), Game Theory (A),

Other Courses:

Letters of Recommendation: All Econ. Thesis advisor and 2 very well-known profs. Should be strong.

Research Experience: No RA-ships, but completed independent research as junior and senior. My primary responsibilities at work don't involve economic research, but I've had the chance to work on a paper that I will present at a conference in November.

Teaching Experience: Head tutor at university writing center (undergrads don't TA at my college).

Research Interests: Environmental/Resource Economics, Development

SOP: Conservative, straightforward, to the point.

Concerns: Math background could be better (why I'm taking Analysis now), and though I have a decent amount of research experience but nothing outstanding to show for it at the end of the day.

Other:

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Stanford (long shots, but why not?), Yale, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, UCSD, Northwestern, Duke, Michigan, Wisconsin, Brown, UBC, UCSB