Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Roll Call 2011

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No

Roll Call 2011

Sponsored Ad:
    There seems to be quite a few new faces around as people are coming to the forum for this fall's application season, so I thought it would be helpful to get this year's roll call started. No comments on this thread, just profiles. untitled asked that I add a note to help scrape profiles for the aggregate results page. In particular, it would help if everyone try to post their GPA on a 4 point scale first - if they have it - and then go ahead and post it in your native scale, and to be sure to include all three sections of your GRE in your GRE score so that he can look at verbal scores. Also, if you want, it would be nice if you wait to post until you have your GRE results. Without further ado, here's the profile template to get the ball rolling:

PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:

Undergrad GPA:
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE:
    Math Courses:
    Econ Courses (grad-level):
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level):
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation:
    Research Experience:
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests:
    SOP:
    Concerns:
    Other:
    Applying to:

Note: This post has been edited to accommodate the the TM analysis for untitled.
    Last edited by AREStudentHopeful; 09-03-2010 at 04:25 AM.

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    B.A. in economics from a satellite state school
    Undergrad GPA: 3.35, 3.7 in econ
    Type of Grad: M.A. Agricultural and Resource Economics from a large state school
    Grad GPA: 3.6
    GRE: 780Q, 590V, 5.0AWA
    Math Courses: Calc I-III (C, B, B+), Linear Algebra (A), Axiomatic Systems-Intro to Proofs (A), Intro to Stats (A), Advanced ODE (in progress, expected A)
    Econ Courses (masters-level): Micro, Math for Econ, Applied Metrics, Agricultural Production, Water Economics, Research Methods in Economics, Natural Resource, Macro (spring), Environmental (Spring)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to micro, intro to macro, intermediate micro, intermediate macro, advanced macro, environmental, natural resource, comparative systems, developmental, money and banking, econometrics
    Other Courses: Many environmental science courses
    Letters of Recommendation: 5 econ professors (2 Davis ARE, 1 U Colorado, 1 Berkeley ARE, 1 NC State) depending on what school I'm applying to based on their connections
    Research Experience: RAed for an econ prof in undergrad, worked as an RA both years of my masters including one project that I'm getting published in a low-tier journal, masters thesis
    Teaching Experience: TA for intro to micro and natural resource econ
    Research Interests: Environmental is the main one, plus behavioral, urban and game theory on the side. I'm actually one of the few ARE-type people who enjoy theory.
    SOP: In the Process of rewriting the one from 2 years ago - will be good-quality and fit to the programs.
    Concerns: Not as stellar math grades as many of you, low undergrad GPA, no RA (a sin on this forum!)
    Other: Applying for the usual fellowships
    Applying to: Stanford (hey, the could make a mistake ), UCSD, UCLA, Brown, Duke, Georgetown, Berkeley ARE, Maryland AREC, UCSB, Davis ARE, U Colorado, Ohio State, Arizona State, U Arizona, U Wyoming, NCSU and still looking for other suggestions
    Last edited by AREStudentHopeful; 09-06-2010 at 03:09 AM.

Within my grasp! EconForeThought's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    B.S. in Managerial Economics and an Ag/Bio subject from a UC school
    Undergrad GPA: 3.35, 3.65 in econ
    Type of Grad: M.S. Agricultural and Resource Economics from a UC School
    Grad GPA: 3.8
    GRE: 780Q, 560V, 4.5AWA
    Math Courses: Calculus I-III, Linear Algebra, Adv Calc (RA I), RAII, 3 Stats courses
    Econ Courses (PhD-level): Metrics I
    Econ Courses (masters-level): Micro Theory I
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intro to Micro/Macro, Inter Macro/Micro, Marketing, Metrics, Optimization, Production Management, Real Estate Econ, Econ Sustainability, Finance I,II, Accounting I,II
    Other Courses: Many agricultural, biosci, chem, etc. classes
    Letters of Recommendation: 1UC Davis ARE, 1 U Minn, 1 NCSU
    Research Experience: Geology research, Wine sensory RA, ARE GSR for two qtrs now
    Teaching Experience: None
    Research Interests: Ag econ, Resource/energy Econ, Sustainability, IO, Micro ...
    SOP: Rewriting from last year
    Concerns: Not as much math as many, low overall UG GPA, applying with only a quarter's of M.S. grades in
    Other: Applied to and got into 3 PhD programs and 1 M.S. program last cycle. One year M.S. and reapplying this cycle.
    Applying to: UC Berkeley ARE, UC Davis ARE, Maryland AREc, Cornell Applied Econ, Minnesota Applied Econ, UCSD Econ, CU Boulder Econ, Washington Econ[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by asquare; 02-22-2011 at 01:23 AM. Reason: updated at request of user
    Profile: here || Attending: UC Berkeley ARE

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    BCom/BSc (Hons) Australian Uni, Maths major
    Undergrad GPA: Overall: 3.93 Maths/Econ: 4.0
    Type of Grad: N/A
    Grad GPA: N/A
    GRE: 800Q, 650V, 4.5AWA
    Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Abstract Algebra, Topology, Metric Spaces, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Vector Analysis, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis, Probability, Stats, ODEs, PDEs, Stochastic Calculus
    Econ Courses (grad-level): N/A
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: 2 Maths (including honours supervisor), 1 Econ
    Research Experience: Honours Thesis, summer RA work
    Teaching Experience: Calculus, Probability
    Research Interests: Micro - most flavours, Experimental
    SOP: Working on it
    Concerns: No famous person touting my credentials
    Other:
    Applying to: Probably some top programs, probably some not so top ones.

Good post? Yes | No
    Type of Undergrad: BS in Economics, minor in Bus. Admin. at Illinois State Uni
    Undergrad GPA: 3.38 overall, a little better in econ.
    Type of Grad: MA in Applied Economics from Illinois State Uni
    Grad GPA: 4.0 (still have 1 year left, but I don't expect this to change)
    GRE: 800 Q, 560 V, 4.0 AWA

Math Courses: Calc I (C), Calc II (C) [both taken a decade ago when I was a freshman and not too mature], Calc III (A+), Advanced Probability Models (A), Linear Algebra (A+), Real Analysis (in progress)

Econ Courses (grad-level): MA level Micro, Macro, Econometrics (3 courses), and a few electives that probably won't factor into my admission decision (All A's)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Pretty much everything I could take: Econometrics I, II (A, A), Telecom Econ (B), Managerial Econ (A), Micro (B), Macro (A), Law and Econ (B), Money and Banking (B), Labor Econ (B), Organizational Econ (A), Enviro & Natural Resource Econ (B)
    Other Courses: Standard classes needed to get a bachelor's

Letters of Recommendation:
    3 that should range from good to outstanding from econ professors who's PhDs are from: U of Houston, U of Chicago, and UC-Berkley.

Research Experience: A little over a year of RA work. This includes co-authoring a paper submitted for publishing (no word back on acceptance or denial yet)
    Teaching Experience: Some TA work done while in the masters program. Also, I have some tutoring experience from undergrad.

Research Interests: Health, Applied Micro, IO, maybe experimental, maybe Labor, maybe metrics (If I start thinking about a topic long enough I end up generating interest in it)

SOP: Should be pretty good. I'm going to talk about my past (since I have a little bit of an unusual profile having left school for 5 years to work), why I want a PhD, why school X fits me, and why I fit school X.

Concerns: My undergrad grades range from terrible to okay, but there is nothing outstanding. I lack some math courses (although I have killed all the recent classes I've taken).

Other: Between my undergrad and master's I spent 5 years working. Most of that time I was a Financial Consultant for a large regional bank (at the time it was the 8th largest bank in the U.S.).

Applying to: I reserve the right to change this list at a later time. Here's my current list: Illinois, Cornell, Duke, Arizona, Michigan State, Texas, Kentucky, Tennessee, UNC-CH, and Iowa
    On the long road to dissertation

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    BS in Business at private top-25 school
    Undergrad GPA:3.62, 4.0 in econ courses
    Type of Grad:MA in econ at Public Master's univ.
    Grad GPA: 4.0
    GRE: 800Q/630V/4.0AWA
    Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Intro linear alg and diff equations (all A's), math probability, linear algebra, proofs (all in progress), real analysis, math stats (all planned for spring)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): MA Macro, Micro, econometrics (all A's), time series, research methods (all in progress)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Basic and intermediate macro/micro, econometrics, math econ, macroecon and growth (all A's)
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: 3 econ professors from master's program
    Research Experience: Master's thesis, RA (both in progress...)
    Teaching Experience:
    Research Interests: International, Development, Policy
    SOP: Working on it
    Concerns: Not enough math and econ courses, lack of research/teaching experience, mediocre undergrad GPA (at least among the applicants)
    Other:
    Applying to: Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, Texas-Austin, Washington, Vanderbilt, USC, UCSB, Rice, Texas A&M, Houston, UCI, UCSC. A mix of highly ranked and middle-of-the-pack schools.

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: Top 100 LAC, Midwest
    Undergrad GPA: 2.83, 3.1 in Econ Major, CS minor
    Type of Grad: MS Applied Econ Illinois State University
    Grad GPA: 3.24
    GRE: 730 Q 650 V 4.0 AWA
    Math Courses: Calc I (A), Calc-II (B+), Stats and Data Analysis-I (A-), Adv Stats for Social Sciences: A, Discrete Math: C+
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Macro, Micro, Econometrics I, II, III; Advanced Public Finance, International Trade, International Finance
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Whole bunch, includes Math Econ, Intermediate Macro Micro
    Other Courses: Security Analysis
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 prof from Chicago, 1 a Harvard fellow from Colorado, 1 Stats professor from UIUC
    Research Experience: RA for Public Finance prof, Research Paper on Ricardian Equivalence published in 2nd tier journal
    Teaching Experience: TA for undergrad stats
    Research Interests: Energy economics, Macro, Econometrics
    SOP: Should be alright
    Concerns: Low GPA, GRE
    Other:
    Applying to: Mostly Ag econ programs: UKY, Clemson AREC, UWYO, Auburn AREC, Utah State, Oregon State, Rhode Island, GA State, UGA AREC, Missouri AREC, West Virgina, Western Mich

Will I be OK?
    Last edited by akmandal; 09-05-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Undergraduate: BSc (Hons) Mathematics & Computer Science, top ranked institute in my country.
    Undergraduate GPA: 10/10 (A) {A-10/10, AB-9/10, B-8/10, BC-7/10, C-6/10, D-5/10, E-Fail}
    Type of Graduate: M. S. Quantitative Economics, top ranked institute in my country.
    Graduate GPA: M. S. Quantitative Economics – First class with distinction (Gold Medal).
    GRE: 800Q, 620V, 5.5AWA.
    Math Courses at BSc: Algebra {I-IV}, Calculus {I-III}, Discrete Mathematics, Topology, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, ODE, PDE, Number Theory, Mathematical Logic, Probability Theory.
    Graduate Math courses (at BSc): Linear Algebra, Advanced Calculus, Probability & Statistics, Measure Theoretic Probability, Stochastic Processess, Functional Analysis.
    Economics courses at M.S. Quantitative Economics: Microeconomics {I, II}, Macroeconomics {I, II}, Game Theory {I, II}, Econometric Methods {I, II}, Econometric Applications {I, II}, Theory of Finance {I-III}, International Economics {I, II}, Advanced Topics in International Economics, Bayesian Econometrics, Time Series Analysis & Forecasting, Monetary Economics, Social Accounting.
    Other Courses: Mathematical Physics {Linear Algebra, ODEs}, Classical Mechanics, Introduction to Programming, Advanced Programming, Design & Analysis of Algorithms, Computer Organisation, Mathematical Theory of Computation, Programming Language Concepts.
    Letters of Recommendation: From 3 economists who know me very well!
    Research Experience: 3 projects in econometrics, I wouldn't call it a research as it is with writing a thesis, but it does involve collecting data, setting problem, finding a solution to the problem with the help of the data by using statistical packages.
    Teaching Experience: None.
    Research Interests: Alot of topics in Macroeconomics, Finaicial Economics, Monetary Policy, International Macroeconomics.
    SOP: I followed a template recommended by a very well-known professor at USA.
    Concerns: No "actual" research experience involving writing a thesis.
    Applying to: All top schools in USA, LSE, some schools in 20-30 range.

Good luck for everyone!

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad:
    Top 50 Undergrad (Top 30 or so Econ)
    Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (3.8 econ)
    Type of Grad:
    Grad GPA:
    GRE: 780Q/580V/5.0AW
    Math Courses: Calc I/II/III (A- to A); Diff. E.Q (A); Linear Algebra (A-); Proof Writing (A); Linear Analysis (A); Advanced Multi-Var. Calc (A); Real Analysis (A); Calc Stats (B+)
    Econ Courses (grad-level): Micro I (B); Natural Resource Econ (B+/A-); Property Rights (A); Theory of the State (A)
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): intro - intermediate micro/macro (A); econometrics (A); economic theory (A); environmental economics (A);
    Other Courses:
    Letters of Recommendation: A letter from one of the most well known econ professors at my undergrad; A letter from a well known professor at undergrad and current head of the graduate department; and a letter from a very well known researcher at my work (envir. econ research think tank)
    Research Experience: Undergraduate honors thesis; Intern at NOAA in their econ department; 2 years of research experience at a very well known environmental econ think tank, some discussion papers but no published papers
    Teaching Experience: Tutored undergrad econ; grader
    Research Interests: varied: risk valuation and distribution; econometrics; global climate change research and modeling (leakage/competitiveness, LULUCF/CDM) ; fisheries;
    SOP: not written yet, who knows, hopefully its good
    Concerns: GRE quant wasn't an 800, but I have heard not to stress too much over that; it would have been nice to have some publications to show for my research but it wasnt in the cards for me
    Other: Applying to NSF, I think I have a pretty good topic but I am sure a thousand other people will too
    Applying to: Berkeley ARE; Stanford; Columbia; NYU; MIT; Harvard; U Penn; U Chicago; UCSD; Duke; U Maryland; UM AREC; UC Davis
    Last edited by ferrij492; 09-07-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Good post? Yes | No
    PROFILE:
    Type of Undergrad: B.S. in Mathematics and B.A. in Political Science (minor in Spanish) from a large state school
    Undergrad GPA: 3.9/4
    Type of Grad: N/A
    Grad GPA:
    GRE: 780Q / 570 V / ?? AWA
    Math Courses: Calc I-III, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra, Introduction to Proofs (all A's), Combinatorics (B), in progress: Analysis I, Topology, Introduction to Abstract Algebra, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics.
    Econ Courses (undergrad-level): Principles of Macro and Micro, International Political Economy (A's), in progress: Intermediate Macro
    Other Courses: several Political Science, Spanish, and Philosophy courses
    Letters of Recommendation: 1 Math professor (PhD UC Berkeley), 1 Poli Sci. Professor (PhD MIT), 1 other (??)
    Research Experience: I spent a summer doing research in a developing country with a grant from my university, though it was never published.
    Teaching Experience: Tutored high school calculus/math/spanish
    Research Interests: Economic development/growth, international economics, immigration, international trade
    SOP: in progress.
    Concerns: Undergraduate institution, lack of economics classes, my B in Combinatorics, no published research, no 800Q on GRE.
    Applying to: Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, Cornell, Duke, UMaryland, UVA, Boston University, Johns Hopkins, UNC-CH, Georgetown, along with some Math masters programs.

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread Information