Urch Forums

The New School for social research

metaserve

I have an interest in attending a one or two year heterodox master's program. Reading through several (dated) posts on this site regarding the school, many have said that while the New School used to be excellent, many of its great professors have either left or died, leaving a hole to be filled.

The cost of tuition seems high, as well. I'm wondering if paying that price + cost of living in nyc is worth it.

One of my professors got his PhD from the New School, and even he admits it may not be as good a deal as it once was - but insists that I should still apply, as he thinks I could earn a tuition reduction.

Is there anyone here who knows more about the standing of this school these days? Is it still a hot spot for the heterodox approach?

Fyi, Other schools I'm applying to (not heterodox) are:

UBC, UToronto, BU, UCL and possibly NYU.

Thanks for any info you might have.

There are some quite overt problems with The New School: very little funding, students take a long time to graduate, extremely heterodox. You should consider UMass - Amherst and U Missouri - Kansas City and U Utah these are several other traditional heterodox programs. There are also other traditional programs that have several heterodox faculty. Also it should be noted that it seems (anecdotally at least) many of the heterodox placements are at LAC's. Professionally you may be better off attending a traditional program and establishing yourself as a heterodox economist later, however this is debatable.

Thanks, corolla09. I could definitely spend more time looking into UMass, KC and Utah. Being in NY may be worth the cost, if it means easier access to potential employers (my goals are non-academic.) I doubt companies will complain about a heterodox education, so long as it covers all of the usual micro and metric coursework in an applied way.