Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Duke's/Rochester's Econ Program

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Duke's/Rochester's Econ Program

Sponsored Ad:
    I'm seriously thinking about applying to Duke and Rochester this year. How do you guys rate the department at Duke and Rochester? If I'm correct, Duke has been improving in the rankings over the years and I would assume it to be equal if not better than Rochester ? I believe their strength lies in Macroeconomics and Econometrics, the former true for Rochester too.

Also, I thought Cornell was a top notch school but after following TM for some time and having looked at the placements, I think they might have slipped below Maryland and Rochester.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    I guess it depends on what you want to do, but I would rank Duke>= Cornell > Rochester >= Maryland
    Attending: Notre Dame

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    It looks like that Rochester has been falling in recent years.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    From what I hear, Rochester and Cornell have fallen apart. Their faculty continue to produce good work, but their investment in their students is very poor.

Trying to make mops proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaysa View Post
    From what I hear, Rochester and Cornell have fallen apart. Their faculty continue to produce good work, but their investment in their students is very poor.
    Really? I heard that Cornell has made an increased effort recently, at least for their behavioral econ students.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by thesparky View Post
    Really? I heard that Cornell has made an increased effort recently, at least for their behavioral econ students.
    That is kinda sad considering that their placements are getting worse every year.

Trying to make mops proud

Good post? Yes | No
    That is kinda sad considering that their placements are getting worse every year.
    Apparently it was recent enough that they say it hasn't started to kick in yet due to the lag.

Within my grasp!

Good post? Yes | No
    Vee shall see

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No
    Current Rochester student here. When people talk about Rochester declining, they're talking about the departure of a number of senior faculty earlier this decade, not about a decline in departmental support for students. The department takes the development of graduate students very seriously, and the quality of the training is (in my biased and admittedly only partially informed opinion) probably better than at comparably-ranked institutions.

The core strengths of the department at Rochester are micro theory and macro. We also have a number of junior faculty doing interesting research in labor, but the lack of seniors in the field has made placement of labor students hit-or-miss. The department is small enough that students who couldn't see themselves in any of those fields would probably be better off going elsewhere, but I strongly recommend applying to people whose interests match the faculty's research areas.

Thread Information