Sponsored Ad:

Thread: Any UNC guys here??

Trying to make mom and pop proud

Good post? Yes | No

Any UNC guys here??

Sponsored Ad:
    Hi everyone,

How would you rate UNC's econ department in the area of macroeconomics, financial economics and econometrics?

Also, how has the placement scene been in the last few years? EconPhd ranks UNC top 25 in econometrics while US News generic ranking is somewhere around 34 tied with Washington.

Also, if anyone has some idea about the PhD stipend?

Thanks

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage Elliephant's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    I can't answer any of your questions, but I do have the following information which might be useful to you: In the past, UNC only used to admit applicants who were very, very clear (ad nauseam) about what their research interests were and what they'd done to educate themselves in those areas. This is from a past adcom chair (~10 years ago), who also told me that if he saw a decent writing sample to corroborate said interests, the applicant got two legs up. I don't know if this is still how they do things, but apparently this used to be the case.

Good post? Yes | No
    They have Ghysels and Renault, two top financial econometricians, so if you're interested in that I'd definitely consider UNC. However, as far as I know UNC isn't that great for Macro. Regardless of the subfield, though, their academic placements are very bad. http://www.unc.edu/depts/econ/gradua...placements.htm

I think most people get 15-16k for the stipend, and most people in this year's class have full funding. You could conceivably get a bit more from a departmental merit award or from a university wide fellowship, but at least in the latter case that's very uncommon. Cost of living isn't that high, though.

Good post? Yes | No
    Thanks for the response. For some reason, academic placements in econ programs start nosediving once you cross a certain threshold in rankings. Schools below top 30-35 have worrying placement stats especially for international students who can't apply for government research jobs because of citizenship requirements.

I was looking at Emory's placement and although people did eventually manage to get positions in the industry, there were very few grads who got decent academic placements in the US.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    Their website is a mess these days. Was anybody able to file a application recently? I couldn't access the online application the last days. Today it worked, but I was unable to pay the application fee. Is it just me or does anybody face the same problem?

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage treblekicker's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Last edited by treblekicker; 11-15-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Thread Information