Urch Forums

Can you send a transcript yourself if it is in an unopened envelope?

econoecon

If you have an official copy of a transcript that you haven't opened, can you send it to the school yourself, or is it necessary to have it send directly from the school? I submitted a request to my university in October to mail my transcripts, but they still haven't been mailed yet, so I'm getting concerned about deadlines. Therefore I am considering mailing the transcripts in (unopened) envelopes that I have. However, the copies of the transcript that I have do not have a special seal on the envelope (only on the transcript itself), as my university no longer puts a seal on the envelope, so I am concerned about this.

EDIT: I Just spoke with the registrar, who said that the transcripts were not sent because most of the addresses are too long. My university allows only 4 lines of address and a limited # of characters per line for the school to send the transcripts. It seems like the only option is sending the transcripts myself.

Edited by econoecon

I have personally sent the transcripts to all schools i am applying to (13 approx.). It is more convenient seeing that i can put supplementary materials in the envelope and schools do not specify they have a problem with this if your transcripts are sealed and stamped. I dont understand why your school won't seal and stamp your envelopes for you? i am sure they would if you asked. It is a simple registrar stamp.

I have personally sent the transcripts to all schools i am applying to (13 approx.). It is more convenient seeing that i can put supplementary materials in the envelope and schools do not specify they have a problem with this if your transcripts are sealed and stamped. I dont understand why your school won't seal and stamp your envelopes for you? i am sure they would if you asked. It is a simple registrar stamp.

Hah.... I've had SO many problems with this, actually. They keep insisting it's a private thing and that *I* should send it (I don't have any problems sending it myself, I don't expect them to pay for the stamps!...), and that I should provide my own envelopes (implying that I was too cheap to pay for the envelopes, when I just wanted the envelopes to be the official envelopes, you know?), and that they won't seal the envelopes even if they double check what's going inside. In the end my parents, who are both professors at the university, had to call in a FAVOR to get them to do it. As you can tell, I'm pretty mad with the secretary right now...