Sponsored Ad:
See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would it take... (a purely speculative thread for a sunny Sunday afternoon)

Good post? Yes | No

What would it take... (a purely speculative thread for a sunny Sunday afternoon)

Sponsored Ad:
    ... to build a space elevator?

... to end poverty?

... to normalize the welfare distribution?

Discuss and amend!
    Servere est vivere. Vivere est vincere.

Good post? Yes | No
    1) I have no idea what this even means...like an elevator that goes to space I'm guessing? Probably 20 PhD engineering candidates fighting over a recommendation.

2) A 100% tax on all income and assets followed by a uniform distribution to households

3) " " normal " "

Where's my cookie?

Good post? Yes | No
    Here!!!

Better hurry though, Cookie Monster comes around here often.

Good post? Yes | No
    In all seriousness I have serious doubts that market forces can bring about the last two without serious government intervention. It also depends on what we consider "poverty" and out of curiosity do you think a normal distribution of wealth is a good thing?

Good post? Yes | No
    I'm undecided on the morass of that subject at this point. There is much to say concerning both just deserts and helping those in poverty.

I also doubt that market forces can bring about the first in any reasonable time frame :-)

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage Andronicus's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    1) A mind-boggling amount of money and new metal stronger and lighter than anything currently known.

2) A technological singularity that brings about a post-scarcity economy (as opposed to the extermination of the human race by a swarm of bloodthirsty nanobots, which seems equally likely).

3) Not sure what you mean by this.

Eager!

Good post? Yes | No
    I think OP uses "normalize" to mean force the welfare distribution to approach a normal distribution. If so, I think there are interesting moral questions to answer as to whether this is preferable. It is certainly not pareto efficient.

Anyway, on to two (and as a response to zomg), I highly doubt that 100% income tax or "serious" government intervention is the optimal solution. Wealth stock is dynamic and either of these would force the wealth stock to plummet. Moreover, substantial transaction costs will eat away at the available stock of wealth.

Better instead to structure institutions to incentivize entrepreneurship and wealth creation and human capital investments, along with a minimal level of public assistance. There is a lot of focus among leftists on the "market failure" roots of poverty; these individuals ignore that "government failure" is often just as strong a force. If the rightsizing of government and the creation and refinement of appropriate institutions is pursued, "poverty" - by which I mean the condition of being unable to meet certain basic needs like food, clothing, shelter, etc... - will decrease naturally.

The trend of history suggests that the poor are getting richer in two ways. First, the relative expenditures on basic needs has been plummeting: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_otfwl2zc6Q...s1600/food.jpg. Second, quality increases in goods and services almost consistently amount to "real" wealth improvements for each successive generation of impoverished.
    Last edited by assgf3; 05-23-2011 at 02:21 AM.

Good post? Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by assgf3 View Post
    It is certainly not pareto efficient.
    Umm...

An Urch Guru Pundit Swami Sage rthunder27's Avatar

Good post? Yes | No
    Wasn't it just last week that the OP was complaining about people posting non-admission related threads in this forum? http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-econo...tml#post861803

1) Andronicus is right, it would take further breakthrough in material sciences, probably involving carbon nanotubes or something similar. The Space Review: The space elevator: going up? part 1 (page 1)

2) A massive change in human nature (or more simply, a redefinition of the word "poverty").

3) Massive government interference and/or society moving away from capitalism, since it seems pareto distributions of income are a natural result of a market economies.
    My Profile and Results Stanford GSB Finance '16

Gah!

Good post? Yes | No
    1. after successfully building the space ladder and the space staircase.
    2. stop considering poor people human beings
    3. don't see why that would be desirable at all, since normal distribution of welfare is still very inequitable.
    Dispensing bad advice since Halley's last visit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information