Urch Forums

Is GRE Math necessary?

Arial

I have a professor strongly recommend me to take the Math GRE. I know math is really important, but I am still a but hesitated....I am a math major, and I suppose I can take the time to study for the exam, but others also tell me it's not that necessary and I should take the time to do other things.

Any advice?

Thanks for the quick reply. I am thinking exactly the same thing, but my professor keeps pushing me because I told him I want to get into top 10 programs...I should probably talk to him them. It's just hard to reject a professor's advice when he persists and means well...

I'm just curious if there are any particular circumstances that lead him to think it will be a worthwhile signal. For example, does he recommend it because he thinks you're a long shot without it because of a lack of math? Is his information old (i.e. did he graduate in the 70s or something)?

I'm just curious because even though TM does have a lot of wisdom a lot of it keeps getting recycled and could be more in the general sense with actual adcoms being far more diverse then we at TM think of them as in terms of their response to different signals. If this prof. represents a minority opinion I'm curious what circumstances he thinks makes it a worthwhile investment.

On the upside, maybe this is a signal he thinks you're a mathematical genius who just needs to get it certified.

I'm just curious if there are any particular circumstances that lead him to think it will be a worthwhile signal. For example, does he recommend it because he thinks you're a long shot without it because of a lack of math? Is his information old (i.e. did he graduate in the 70s or something)? I'm just curious because even though TM does have a lot of wisdom a lot of it keeps getting recycled and could be more in the general sense with actual adcoms being far more diverse then we at TM think of them as in terms of their response to different signals. On the upside, maybe this is a signal he thinks you're a mathematical genius who just needs to get it certified.

He always said he got into Harvard simply because of his Math GRE. He thinks my math is great, so he suggested me to take it. I don't think I will do bad if I decide to take it, but it is time consuming for anyone to prepare that test. And you were very close, he graduated in the 80s.

I've only ever taken the general test (and have no intention of taking the math test), but according to the GRE website you can choose whether they send just your general scores, just your subject scores, or both.

Has anyone ever taken the subject test on the basis they can just not submit a poor score?

I suppose this would breach the agreement to supply complete information in your application, so I wouldn't advocate doing it, but I'm surprised more people don't ask.

I've only ever taken the general test (and have no intention of taking the math test), but according to the GRE website you can choose whether they send just your general scores, just your subject scores, or both.

Has anyone ever taken the subject test on the basis they can just not submit a poor score?

I suppose this would breach the agreement to supply complete information in your application, so I wouldn't advocate doing it, but I'm surprised more people don't ask.

Although I am not sure you can submit just general test or just subject test scores, or both, but if it is possible then you are not breaching anything by not submitting a GRE subject score as it is not requested. It would be akin to not submitting your shoe size.

Although I am not sure you can submit just general test or just subject test scores, or both, but if it is possible then you are not breaching anything by not submitting a GRE subject score as it is not requested. It would be akin to not submitting your shoe size.

Well, it's not required, but there's often a place for it on the form if you have that info. Is that requesting it? I'm sure it's not a huge ethical breach, I just didn't want to advocate it when I wasn't sure.

But yes, the GRE website says very clearly you can report either or both. So that's a legitimate option for the OP if he feels like doing it - the worst case scenario is doing poorly and having wasted the test fee - there's no risk of doing poorly and having it count against him.

Well, it's not required, but there's often a place for it on the form if you have that info. Is that requesting it? I'm sure it's not a huge ethical breach, I just didn't want to advocate it when I wasn't sure.

But yes, the GRE website says very clearly you can report either or both. So that's a legitimate option for the OP if he feels like doing it - the worst case scenario is doing poorly and having wasted the test fee - there's no risk of doing poorly and having it count against him.

Thanks, guys! Very helpful!! :)